New BMW - diesel hybrid - 99g/km - 350bhp - 75mpg

gizze

BMW Vision to debut at Frankfurt.

1.5-litre, 3-cylinder turbo unit. While combined with the two electric motors it produces a more than potent 351bhp and 590lb ft, it’s a power source that would struggle to differ further from the rev-happy naturally aspirated petrol engines that have been a hallmark of past M Cars.

car_photo_327514_25.jpg

Interestingly, the car’s key performance figures are identical to the current M3 Coupe. Top speed is a limited 155mph, while 0-62mph takes 4.8sec. Where the old car is really embarrassed is in the sensible numbers – the Vision boasts a combined 75.1mpg and carbon emissions of 99g/km, making it a cleaner bet than a Citroen C1.

The Vision can run on electric power only (with a 31-mile range), diesel only (400 miles) or a mix of the two, with infinite variations of how the hybrid system sources its power.

BMW Vision concept | Car News | Frankfurt motor show | evo

Well this is interesting news ! I would be interested in the 'real world' performance stats, particularly the MPG figures as hybrids and electric cars usually fall well short of Manufacturers claims. A 31 mile electric only range is pretty worthless, no mention of recharge time either, and of couse all this will cost....

Did anyone else read InGear in the Sunday Times ? A review of the 'top' 10 electric cars. All were, without exception, stunningly crap. They all had a sub 100 mile range (I love the statement "but most journeys are less than this"), meaning you still need a real car for longer journeys, many were "Quadricycles, not cars" meaning they had bugger-all crash-testing and all the majority were "coming soon", all were way overpriced too.

Truth is, no-one has yet delivered a truly viable, cost-effective, desireable electric car (nor, arguably, a hybrid) despite all the eco-hype. I have a 10 year old Copy of TG in my bog with a report from Mercedes saying they're 3 years off a mass-market electric car, where is it then ?

I'm going to suggest Chelfing make an electric car, with a range as long as your extension lead.

Edited by theduisbergkid
eye karnt tipe

Well this is interesting news ! I would be interested in the 'real world' performance stats, particularly the MPG figures as hybrids and electric cars usually fall well short of Manufacturers claims. A 31 mile electric only range is pretty worthless, no mention of recharge time either, and of couse all this will cost....

Did anyone else read InGear in the Sunday Times ? A review of the 'top' 10 electric cars. All were, without exception, stunningly crap. They all had a sub 100 mile range (I love the statement "but most journeys are less than this"), meaning you still need a real car for longer journeys, many were "Quadricycles, not cars" meaning they had bugger-all crash-testing and all the majority were "coming soon", all were way overpriced too.

Truth is, no-one has yet delivered a truly viable, cost-effective, desireable electric car (nor, arguably, a hybrid) despite all the eco-hype. I have a 10 year old Copy of TG in my bog with a report from Mercedes saying they're 3 years off a mass-market electric car, where is it then ?

I'm going to suggest Chelfing make an electric car, with a range as long as your extension lead.

You are SOOOOO right, I tested the new "RX450h" hybrid over 200 miles, NO more economical than the X6 diesel.

Ride and handling bordering on crap, HUD was poor on info, generally a flop as stated in the USA where it supposed to be the main selling area.

The price well.......................... £55K+ for the top model :roflmao:

You are SOOOOO right, I tested the new "RX450h" hybrid over 200 miles, NO more economical than the X6 diesel.

Ride and handling bordering on crap, HUD was poor on info, generally a flop as stated in the USA where it supposed to be the main selling area.

The price well.......................... £55K+ for the top model :roflmao:

I know EXACTLY what you mean... ;)

To many of these cars are still gimics, there in lies the problem. My 70 yr old father might think that is a great, and 75 mpg he can run it on pension!

However, people in the real world or maybe just me....might think i want to save £ on my work car. However, a sports car for the weekend has a few more cylinders and a nice whack of grunt!

They also have a new 320d Efficient Dynamics Edition coming out soon. Slightly down on power with 163bhp but its offering 74.9mpg and only 109C02:eek:.

Thats amazing to me for a car that has no hybrid tech and just good design ideas, like lower internal friction on the engine and more besides. +++

They also have a new 320d Efficient Dynamics Edition coming out soon. Slightly down on power with 163bhp but its offering 74.9mpg and only 109C02:eek:.

Quite - so why bother with expensice, compromised hybrid bollox? :confused:

Forgot to add - all in a practicle, family useable car!

Edited by cruiser647

Quite - so why bother with expensice, compromised hybrid bollox? :confused:

Forgot to add - all in a practicle, family useable car!

I think Audi do an even weaker and greener version of the A4 as well!

The engine has been remapped, it gives less power, more torque over a different powerband pattern so isnt the same as drive as you might expect.

The car will still attract road fund tax as well several thousand a year in Congestion Charges.

During this years car search i drove A3 1.4T with stop start, every time you stop and you want to get away fast you have to wait for it to start up. In slower traffic this isnt a problem, occasionaly it isnt an issue, in stopping and starting in regular traffic in London for example its a complete pain.

The addition of a battery at that point would be a great as you get away with max torque right away!

However, it is good on paper for company car drivers!

Edited by steelwind101

Hybrids are a pointless waste of time and money, none of the Prius' on our fleet return anything like the MPG they meant to, and they are the most soul destroying cars to drive.

We get better MPG from normal 1.9/2.0 diesels than the Prius.

Which begs the question, if hybrids were ever going to be taken seriously and return genuinely good mpg figures, why don't they have high torque diesel engines in them instead of petrols?

Hybrids are a pointless waste of time and money, none of the Prius' on our fleet return anything like the MPG they meant to, and they are the most soul destroying cars to drive.

We get better MPG from normal 1.9/2.0 diesels than the Prius.

Which begs the question, if hybrids were ever going to be taken seriously and return genuinely good mpg figures, why don't they have high torque diesel engines in them instead of petrols?

LOL @ DBK.

Tipex, you draw on a couple of points! Thing with this BMW is that you need a "driver system" a way of getting engine power and battery power together and deploying it.

Toyota, and under lisence Nissan use Synergy Drive, i dont know how this BMW works how it is to drive. My only guess its eithers very jerky or has some very expensive way of getting the power through the system to wheels.

Thats why you dont already see diesels and batteries. They are drive by wire, so you request some power, the best souce is chosen it then enters "synergy drive system" which as with all Hybrids i know use a single gear (CVT) to then get the power out.

I suspect lots of power from the turbo boost would either be stopped from coming out via the "drive system" or eaten away by the traction control. Even worse, you request power, the computer spends to much time getting it right/smooth that you dont want it by the time its deployed you get sort after delayed reaction power deployment.

The original problem the existed way back was that even petrol and battery were jerky, hence you saw low lot of low power units.

Hybrids like the Prius boast other "eco qualities" most countries still NOX and the black stuff to be heavy pollutants at point of emmission. They also require further refinement to be extra clean and in many place that means investing more in production. Then "filling stations" would need to switch etc.

Also, if you note the HP of my new Prius its a 180HP from all sources, however you dont get that much the car at any one time.

I suspect there is alot of work to do before turbo-diesel hybrids hit the street. In effect driving a CVT is much like driving with a torque boost. Batteries also deploy 100% torque from the engagement im not sure if there is a torque deficit. The out going Prius battery deployed 400NM @ 0 RPMS.

About your Prius's....i was skeptical when i first drove the shape thats just gone by. I had one for a week and got between about 61-63 MPG on Esso 95 RON. It did a few different runs with one or two different drivers and the lowest i saw it was 56 MPG. It may well be that i use it more for its natural enviroment then anything else, and it certantly saw time on battery alone. More so true creeping around London where i would normally be running the battery.

Geoff

Edited by steelwind101

Our prius' are all cabs, I'd be over the moon if we could get 56 mpg out of them, they all average in the 40's with mostly town driving and the odd motorway run to the airport.

Fully loaded with bods and shopping, driver having to put the foot down to make the thing move.

So more realistic I'd have said and more like a 'family car' useeage.