GTI Mk6

Jebby

After three happy years with my mark 5 GTI I thought it was time to think about test driving a mark 6, which I did this week.

The experience has left me feeling pretty depressed. Yes, the performance was all they say it is, noticeably improved to the mark 5. The ride was great, the instrumentation and interior re-design excellent. I drove home from the dearlership pretty happy with all that.

Got the car on the drive and had a proper look at it and one word came to mind - ugly. Gone were the pleasing contours of the mark 5 and in it's place a boxey looking car which to me is a Golf Plus, on steroids.

The front grill is a disaster. The profile view looks like half the grill is missing, what's that all about?

The protruding door handles are large, bulky, and not aero-dynamic.

The side window seals look like large lumps of licorise, uneven and cheap looking.

The extended crease down side of car looks all wrong.

The lack of sill mouldings have been replaced with peculiar plastic strips which just don't work for me.

The overall new bulky square look doesn't please my eye.

I really wanted to like it as I was psyched up about updating my gti for the latest model.

And to top all that the dealer (stealer) offered me only £13000 for my car (high spec)when they are selling similar on the forcourts for about £15,500-£16,000.

Comments appreciated.

If you do a search you will see that the MKVI GTI has been discussed to death and then some. We're already onto discussing the MKVII:roflmao:

As will all evolutions of the Golf GTI the new one is never as good as the previous one but some people come round in the end and buy one.

The concensus seems to be if you're due a change you'll buy one if not it's not a far enough step ahead to pay the extra to convert from MKV to MKVI

Welcome to Tyresmoke +++

Edited by Cuprabob

Hi Jebby & welcome, I initially shared exactly the same thoughts but the MKVI does grow on you with time. I have no plans to change mine yet but I would now consider the newer model. Stll feel the same way about the black plastic side sills on the MKVI - a bit of a poor effort & pointless!

When the MKV first came out I was exactly the same about that too. You have to give these things time. +++

And to top all that the dealer (stealer) offered me only £13000 for my car (high spec)when they are selling similar on the forcourts for about £15,500-£16,000.

Are they not meant to sell yours on for a profit then?

If your selling privately you can expect to get top money for your car, if your trading it in, the dealer does all the hard work selling it so you don't have to, why would they buy and sell cars if they weren't making a profit on them?

the dealer (stealer) offered me only £13000 for my car (high spec)when they are selling similar on the forcourts for about £15,500-£16,000

Welcome Jebby +++ Try and advertise the car privately. I recently sold my (fully loaded with every option except sunroof and sensors) '56 plate GTI with 21k and Ed30 front and rear colour coded bumpers for £16k privately. One dealer offered me £15k for it against a £30k car, but I'm sure I would have been offered less had I been interested in a car of say £20k.

The MKVI is a grower. I was very anti it to start with, but now appreciate it for what it is and go as far as saying that I really like it, but with no intention of buying one. Yes, there are flaws compared to the legendary MKV, but there's always the R-series Golf on it's way which will be a beast and a very tunable one, too :grin:

I think it will be the Golf R that will get all the looks. The Golf keeps getting bigger and bigger and in most cases, the top spec gets the fine little bits to make it look good (bumpers, mirrors etc) I've seen a few Mk6 Gti's now and if I was looking for a Golf Gti, I'd hold off till the R came out.

Each to there own. I own a mk5, mk2 and mk1s and to me the mk6 is more like the mk2 & 1s than the mk5 in looks. I find that the mk6 looks lower and wider than the 5 even though it is not. It looks more square taking the look of the original GTIs rather than the round look of the mk5. The mk5 to me parked next to a mk6 its the mk5 that looks narrower and taller and far less agressive.

I do agree on the door handles. Every car maker is deleting side rubbing strips off there car vw has simply followed the crowd.

Why people only keep cars 3 years is barmy to me they have more money than sense unless its on a lease/contract.

Simply put if you don't like it don't buy it.

As for the R i hear wispers supply will be very very restricted so little if any discount and it will be more expensive at list than an S3!! why anyone would then buy one over a heavy discounted S3 i don't know.

Edited by Snoopy

As for the R i hear wispers supply will be very very restricted so little if any discount and it will be more expensive at list than an S3!! why anyone would then buy one over a heavy discounted S3 i don't know.

I appreciate it's all subjective, but if I were in the market for a hot hatch (perhaps one day I will be again) it would be one choice and one choice alone over any of the other manufacturers offerings, regardless (without wishing to sound cocky) of price, and that's the R-series Golf.

Each to there own. I own a mk5, mk2 and mk1s and to me the mk6 is more like the mk2 & 1s than the mk5 in looks. I find that the mk6 looks lower and wider than the 5 even though it is not. It looks more square taking the look of the original GTIs rather than the round look of the mk5. The mk5 to me parked next to a mk6 its the mk5 that looks narrower and taller and far less agressive.

I do agree on the door handles. Every car maker is deleting side rubbing strips off there car vw has simply followed the crowd.

Why people only keep cars 3 years is barmy to me they have more money than sense unless its on a lease/contract.

Simply put if you don't like it don't buy it.

I agree the MKVI harks back to the MK1 & 2 perhaps more than the MKV does which I really like. I do still think the MKV looks more aggressive, particularly from the front. All personal opinion though.

What's it with the orthopaedic door handles on the MKVI though?! They need a 'disabled toilet style' grab rail to finish those off. :P:grin:

I've had much more of a chance to look at the quality of the interior of the MKVI now. As expected it is a definite improvement; door pockets are lined with a kind of fine felt material and the door cards in general look to be of better quality / design. I was a bit surprised at the plastics quality. The lower half of the dash is still the same hard (dare I say a little cheap plastic).

VW have saved money in some areas though...fuel filler is no longer an internal release I notice!

Side by side, I do feel the MKV looks a little dated in comparison.

Don't know why VW don't put a decent engine (200+bhp) in the Polo and that would be more comparible with the size of the original MK1.

I was thinking the same the other day when looking through the new Polo model brochure. 200bhp in one of those should be interesteing enough. From pictures, the new Polo looks much bigger than the outgoing model - certainly more maturer and an interior similar ish to the Golf.

I expect to see a twin charger polo at some point to rival the SEAT cupra which has similar performance figures to the mk6 GTI. (It was on my short list of cars just a shame its DSG only)

VW have saved money in some areas though...fuel filler is no longer an internal release I notice.
May i ask how it opens before i look like an idiot when i first fuel mine?

Is it still centrally locked?

Edited by Snoopy

I always thought the internal release was overkill and too complicated. On my Dad's 2004 Polo it locks with the central locking and you just gently push the flap and it pops out to open. Simples+++

That's exactly how the new Golf one opens. Nice and simple I guess but it does mean that if you car gets very dirty, you get grubby fingers. Minor issue though.

LOL - it was last year. I don't think I quite did 1000 miles :eek:

Looks like i'm heading for a hefty 2,000 to 2,500 this year. Pulled into the garage yesterday and had done exactly 6,900 miles. I try to drive it more but....

Next time i'll buy one of those Chelfing Spasm's as I reckon the extension lead is long enough for my purposes. :)

Jebby, I agree with you.

Here "in the frozen North", I think I've only seen one MkVI to date!

I don't think they are going to sell many of them in the current economic climate.

Remember this is a stop-gap model until the MkVII

They had to cut costs - like a lot of manufacturers now.

I think it looks like a stop-gap cost cutting model.

I don't think I'll be buying one.

Ludwig

Jebby, I agree with you.

Here "in the frozen North", I think I've only seen one MkVI to date!

I don't think they are going to sell many of them in the current economic climate.

Remember this is a stop-gap model until the MkVII

They had to cut costs - like a lot of manufacturers now.

I think it looks like a stop-gap cost cutting model.

I don't think I'll be buying one.

Ludwig

The Golf is the best selling car across Europe and i'm seeing loads on the roads around here. I wouldn't be surprised if it's stealing sales from the aging A3.

When is the MKVII due? I've not heard that it's any time soon.