The TSN photography studio

DHA

I just need to set aside a few hours to go through my images and upload them to Flickr. Taking the pictures is the easy bit. Finding the time to process them is almost impossible.

Completely and utterly. It would help if I could find some software that's easy to use. Tried LightRoom, but wasn't intuitive (to me) at all.

Nor me. It seemed everyone was singing its praises and I felt almost obliged to try it out - I didn't like it all.

It made uploading photos slower (than using Windows) and it became a pain having to open it up everytime I simply wanted to move/delete a few photos. It was forcing me to only use my Desktop PC (I sometimes like to use my laptop) as that's where the catalogue was. You can't have the catalogue on a network drive (where my files are) and you can't share it between PCs. So I ditched it, use Windows for file management and edit in Elements.

See I wouldn't be without Lightroom even though I do share it over a network or at least the photos are anyway.

If you want to get the very best out of the shots there is little better IMO. You do have to get to know it but when you do it's a very powerful tool to use.

That's a nice shot +++ I've been diving below the cliffs there. It's very dark.

I think one of the things that makes Sydney so photogenic is the light - it's just so sunny and colour saturated there. By way of example, look at Sydney when there's cloud cover - you can't get anything like as striking a photo - below is clean out of the camera with no post processing ****ery.

3fe9385286218977b961284a90cc9b5d261940634b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd forgotten about this thread but having stumbled across it thought i'd pop these up, nothing too spectacular, taken on my Pentax K30 with the 55-300mm lens. They were all taken without any kind of tripod which i'm discovering can make clean in focus shots tricky when the subjects stay still for about half a second at a time!

The wife is really in to butterflies so when we go out on walks I end up taking loads of pictures of them.

The first one i'm quite pleased with, whilst it's not a great picture it was taken from ground level and it was in a tree about 15 feet up. We think it was the first photograph of a Purple Emperor ever taken at this particular location

53b080412dc92.jpg

This one is a Large Skipper

53b0804dc51a9.jpg

And this one is a Marbled White

53b08064cf859.jpg

• 1 year later...

Doesn't look like this thread gets much love! Sold my Sony A77 recently as hated having to leg about a heavy camera [usually twinned with a 70-200f2.8!]

So bought a A6000 a couple of weeks ago. Much smaller and lighter, and with the stock 16-50 lens, pocketable. Got the 18-105G lens this weekend, which is built like a tank - but still makes the whole package much easier to carry around.

Grabbed this shot of mini me at Elvington airstrip yesterday. Lot to learn as only take pics for fun and for memories of the kids, but liking this camera so far.

20447094832_cfdc4c253c_b.jpgFynbubbles_1 by Chris Bell, on Flickr

• Like 2

Had my first attempt at night sky photography last week with the hype over the Perseid meteors. Even 20 miles from Leeds and the light pollution was bad enough to make it hard work. Pretty scary sat on Ilkley Moor on my own in pitch black with all sorts of weird noises around me [assuming pheasants].

Taken on my Sony A6000 with an 8mm F2.8 Fisheye at various exposures.

20576425345_bd46e5e0f0_c.jpgPerseid meteor night by Chris Bell, on Flickr

20389212450_6e81c862ef_z.jpgPerseid meteor night by Chris Bell, on Flickr

20390194579_bb77732b3f_z.jpgPerseid meteor night by Chris Bell, on Flickr

• Like 6

They look great good work. 

I really really need to take mine out for a walk more often. I still really enjoy using my 5D but I've also treated myself to a Fuji X-E2 which has done great work on holiday. You do get a lot of people looking at you and how 'small' the camera is but it takes some stunning shots and the optics are way better than they should be for the money, it was money well spent. 

Oh and a Sony waterproof thingy thats the last yep. 

With the kids it just hard work to take the camera out when we go somewhere, maybe when they are a bit older I can do more proper photography at the moment its mostly talking pictures of them!

Given the light pollution, they're very good. +++

I don't know if you realise it but you've actually caught Venus in all of those shots.  Getting the arc of the Milky Way is never easy in any major City so I think you should be very pleased with those.

I don't take wide shots as I think most know I spend more time looking at the planets or deep space when the camera is attached to the scope.

I've thrown a few of the pics up here in the past but kept most to FB.  So if this has been posted before, you have my apologies.

Constellation of Gemini, Starcluster M35, or NGC-2618.

1412750_683586901660851_1424994442_o.jpg

post-6756-0-63713700-1439894405_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Given the light pollution, they're very good. +++

I don't know if you realise it but you've actually caught Venus in all of those shots.  Getting the arc of the Milky Way is never easy in any major City so I think you should be very pleased with those.

I don't take wide shots as I think most know I spend more time looking at the planets or deep space when the camera is attached to the scope.

I've thrown a few of the pics up here in the past but kept most to FB.  So if this has been posted before, you have my apologies.

Constellation of Gemini, Starcluster M35, or NGC-2618.

- Must admit, i wouldn't have a clue where Venus is! Pretty clueless when i comes to our Solar System! I was desperately hoping i could get the Milky Way and knew that was NE. Really hope the next new Moon cycle lands on a weekend with clear skies so i can venture further from home and hopefully get some clearer shots.

Must admit, i wouldn't have a clue where Venus is! Pretty clueless when i comes to our Solar System! I was desperately hoping i could get the Milky Way and knew that was NE. Really hope the next new Moon cycle lands on a weekend with clear skies so i can venture further from home and hopefully get some clearer shots.

There are some moon shots I took on the scope further up this thread.

I think I marked the Apollo landing site on one of them IIRC.

On the night skies, the easiest way to start couldn't be more simple.  Look for the brightest object in the sky.  Contrary to popular myth, it is very rarely Sirius.  That is the brightest 'star'.  However, the brightest object will almost always be the biggest - Jupiter.  It is a point from which you can then find anything.

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

• 2 weeks later...
  • bison unpinned this topic