Martin's Tyres - Surrey (just off J3 M3)

Andrew

Just thought I ought to post what appeared to me to be a gem of a tyre place I found. Martin's Tyres (GU24 9QG) fitted two 225/40/18 F1 Assymetrics to my car for £214. I asked them about Michelin PS2s which were about £260 for both fitted in the same size.

I normally go to the much reviewed, and very good, Bracknell Tyre and Battery but the queue is always huge on a Saturday. I never minded because of their prices but Martin's Tyres rival them and best of all, at 10:00 on a Saturday I was in and out within 30 mins - max.

They are about 5 mins off junction 3 of the M3.

• 1 month later...

The queue was what put me off Bracknell tyres as well. I waited for over an hour last time I was there a few years back. A neighbour then recommended Martins to me - he had a TVR Cerbera at the time so you can imagine how much he paid.

I live in West End as well so using Martins is a no brainer - they've put 4 full sets on my TT over the years and have recommended them to dozens of mates. Decent honest guys who wont rip you off - tyres have actually got cheaper over the years as bigger sizes get more popular.

Like you say, you never have to wait long to get seen to and sorted.

I'm in Bisley Gren so very local for me too - I thought of you when I posted that but couldn't remember your username (but did remmeber you had a Raven Black TT didn't you?).

That was me! Light grey new shape one now

I've used Martins for 3 cars now, good prices but the back street garage look is a bit offputting.

yeah, I'd walked past them for ages and not given them a second thought cos of the look of the place until a couple of people recommended them. They have just put a new roof on and some signs up though lol

• 1 year later...

Just been to this place and again, seriously impressed with them. In and out in 20 mins and had 3 x Assymetric 2's fitted (225/40/18) for £117 each. Place up the road (Merityre) with the "work discount" offered the same tyres for £145 each.

I also leaned that Bracknell Tyre and Battery has been sold - for a fiar few quid - and are not the service they used to be.

So, Camskill for tyres you want to fit yourself (Mac's thread) and Martin's if you actually want to go in and have it done.

Hah! The little rip off merchants up the road had to fit the other one as I'd had 2 major tyre trauma's in 12 hours and didn't have a spare to get me to Martin's. £145 from rip off merchants, £117 from Martin's.

I thought it might have been replacing the spare, but i guess that's a space saver. That's pretty unlucky to have 2 issues close together. I'm considering ordering a couple of tyres from Camskill and keep them handy for times like that

My LCR is an 03 so it came with a full sized spare. A P Zero on it unused until the other day from new!

My LCR (52) also had a full size spare which luckily I only ever had to use once for about 10 miles. When I sold it the P Zero had only done the 10 miles.

I do remember however the covers on the side skirts for the jacking points were a real pain in the @rse to put back on :-)

They are, and I was dreading taking the back one off to jack it up for the spare. However, I had a good day as I lined up the cover, hit it hard with my palm and in it went. Sometimes takes 20 mins ...

The P Zero is about 50% worn now though after the 50 miles as a spare ...

They are, and I was dreading taking the back one off to jack it up for the spare. However, I had a good day as I lined up the cover, hit it hard with my palm and in it went. Sometimes takes 20 mins ...

The P Zero is about 50% worn now though after the 50 miles as a spare ...

I went through the P Zeros in no time when I had my LCR. My Scirocco was delivered with them too, so not really expecting them to last too long either hence my comment about spares

If you don't get the cover on first time with a thump I found if you line it up and push a small thin screwdriver up at the back and push up against the plastic lip till it locates. I tried to fit one at the roadside in the pissing rain onne and gave up and took it off the rubber band so I could drive home and fit it when it was dry.

Great car though the LCR, I love mine!

I loved mine too. I had one of the first ones with the optional full Recaro interior which had 2 bucket seats in the back and is quite rare. For some reason pretty early on Seat reduced the option just the front seats. I had mine for just over 3 years and sold it with 80k miles on it and it never missed a beat. A guy from Devon drove all the way upto Scotland to buy it. Pictures from the day I sold it

post-13123-137914473431_thumb.jpg

post-13123-137914473426_thumb.jpg

post-13123-137914473429_thumb.jpg