Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
InterestingUsername

MErc Blue Efficiency vs BMW 535d

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Newbee first question.

Looking to get a company car (my company) and got an short list of three motors.

1. 5 series 535d saloon

2. Merc E class 350 CDI Blue Efficiency

3. Jag XF diesel

Not too sure on the larger engined diesels with regard to the car tax etc.

I love the look of the interior of the Jag but dont feel I am old enough just yet for a Jag...LOL

Any recommendations or thoughts on these cars would be appreciated.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Welcome to TSN. :beer:

Not to well up on the E-Class so can't help you much there.

But for the others, its a tough choice. I've read many reviews and the Jag does very well because of its balanced ride, firm but calm whilst the BMW can be far to firm and wearing as a result. So if you are doing a fair bit of driving and already like the interior I might look at the Jag, looks good drives well fairly quick and doesn't hurt the pocket too much.

As for C02 just check them out and put them against the charts to see what you will get charged for you BIK. +++

Have a go in all of them, Mercedes are starting to look more and more like an attractive proposition nowadays, I sat in the new Jag XF and although the interior looked nice it felt rather cheap and a bit Ford like. The 35d engine is a real gem (I have one). If you go on What Car? - New and Used Car Reviews, Car Deals, News & Advice you can compare the three cars side by side which will be usefull.

My 5 series rides really well (especially compared with a rock hard Seat Leon!).

Would love to try an XF though.

Thanks for the welcome and input...

My concerns are going for the BMW before the new 5 series is launched next year...could be hurt for a larger than usual depreciation figure....

Had looked at the A6 but again a new one is one the horizon but think I'd prefer the bigger engine of either the Merc or Bm...

My problem is I am coming from a supercharged V8 truck (via TT, M3 and Supercharged Mustang) so anything wil be different...:D

at risk of being non patriotic - I'd look very carefully at the Jag if I were you.

Personally I think there is a lot of over hyped UK journalism going on. You dont say if you are leasing or buying, but if buying my guess is the Jags residuals will be much weaker than the others as there are loads of XFs about, probably too many for the secondhand market.

Jags have also had some big things going wrong, engines, gearboxes etc, not the end of the world if you are under warranty but scary all the same.

In terms of driving I found it felt (and is!) very heavy, although smooth but seat have virtually no lateral support. Soaks up a lot of the power of the twin turbo diesel.

And whilst I'm having a go ... there's got to be a facelift soon to sort out the rubbish nose (compare it to pictures of the concept), so that wont help your residuals.

For me, although I haven't driven it, the Merc has got to be a strong contender.

Go drive em all if you're spending that sort of money!

If your worried about the 'old man' image then forget the Merc, E class is an old mans car.

Jag's don't have that image any more IMO (except the XJ), and the X-types hold their value surprisingly well, I think the XF will be quite good on residual values too.

For me, it'd be a choice between the BMW and the Jag, the Merc wouldn't get a look in, and I know I'd end up driving home in the Jag, the BMW is a great car with a great engine, but the Jag is a special car, it makes you feel good, and it looks fantastic, you'll keep looking back at it as you walk away.

The Diesel lump in the XF is also a stonking engine, I had an S-type for a little while with the same engine (although it's been heavily worked on and improved for the XF) and it's fantastic. (relatively speaking of course - it's diesel)

Edited by Tipex

Looking at leasing through the business for the car (any contacts would be greatly received).

I was looking at the new shape E class. I have an office over the road from a Merc dealer and the E class coupe looks a lovely car with a gorgeous interior but I need 5 seats as I have three kids.

I have booked a test drive in a C Class for next week and waiting to hear back from BMW on a drive in a 5.....

Wil be dropping into the Jag dealers later today to take a good nose around the XF...I do admit it is a lovely car to look at and I want to see if the interior is as special as the Uk journo's bang on about.

Just got to work out how much each of them is going to cost in Company car tax and fuel etc befoe I make a definate decision..

Personally I'd (perhaps reluctantly) rule out the BMW simply because it's by far the oldest car and due for replacement. Unless driving dynamics is your overriding priority.

Then it depends what you want from the car.

If it's comfort, space and luxury you're after, then the E Class has to be the contender. I'm a big fan of the new car, even like its looks!

If you want style and performance - and almost unanimously the best car in its class as far as the press is concerned (a little British bias allowing) then go for the XF Diesel S.

If you can extend your search to recent used cars I would take a serious look at a lightly used new model 730d.

keep us posted.

Always interesting to see how folks get to their decision.

I'm not a Merc man myself (audi A5) but I reckon they've freshened it up enough to be less of an old man's car. And if there is a dealer over the road ... don't half save some hassle.

To add to your confusion what about an A5 Sportback? Looks great, nice diesel engine on offer and fairly good space for all and not about to have a refresh anytime soon. +++

keep us posted.

Always interesting to see how folks get to their decision.

I'm not a Merc man myself (audi A5) but I reckon they've freshened it up enough to be less of an old man's car. And if there is a dealer over the road ... don't half save some hassle.

Will do but the other problem I have is the choice of dealers.....

Robinsons for Merc

Robinsons for Audi

Had bad service from both in the past.....lets hope they've smartened up the act..:(

Missed your original post here, so welcome to Tyresmoke +++

Of all three, despite the BMW having a design that's due for an update in the next couple of years, without any doubt I'd go for the 535d - awesome engine, quicker than the other three and much more involved dirving experience.

actually I've just spooted the foot operated handbrake in the Merc.

That's kak, so 70's.

Now we see you're leasing, check out the latest company cars regs - they've changed again - seriously get some advice, then get some costs in.

Def try out an A5 sportback if you can, and Mook is right the 535 is way the fastest car here, but is bulky around town and many would say sterile styling inside.

Missus went in a friends Jag the other day, she's not into cars in any way (Seat Ibiza 1.2) and totally unprompted she said she thought the jag was horrible compared to my A5 and was glad I didn't get one.