Rear Bumper Protector

Simon690

I need to get something to prevent the dog from scratching the paint on the rear bumper every time he gets in and out of the car, his pads are like bloody sand paper!

I've found this which is expensive but looks really good and as my 530 is black it shouldn't stand out too much BMW 5 SERIES E61 TOURING REAR BUMPER BAR PROTECTOR on eBay (end time 01-Oct-09 20:29:54 BST)

Has anyone else got one of these and if so is it any good?

I bought one for my A4 Avant from a German ebay seller with very good feedback.

It's on and it's doing it's job but it is full of tiny bubbles which I simply couldn't avoid when applying it. Of course there's also always an edge which you can't hide.

It's not so bad that I'll remove it and on pearl blue it's not too noticable (apart from me seeing it) but it's not perfect.

post-124-137914437257_thumb.jpg

post-124-137914437261_thumb.jpg

For proper protection I bought the Audi boot liner that has a fold out flap that flops down and covers the whole rear. I think if I had a dog in and out then I'd probably use that to avoid the claw scratches.

Admission - I've now realised I didn't look at your ebay advert properly. :o

That's not a bad solution but it still doesn't seem to cover much. I guess it depends where his contact points are. I did see some similar to that but in chrome .... which I thought was just too bling.

I looked at lots of options for my 3 Series Touring and best option for me was a Bumper Bib. Made of padded vinyl it simply folds out to completely cover the bumper and then you just fold it inside the boot, rolled up it takes up hardly any space. Problem with any of the items that just cover the top of the bumper are that the rest of the bumper is very vulnerable to stray paws. Think its Bumper Bibs from The UK Bumper Bib Company go for the large model and your bumper is well protected.

I looked at lots of options for my 3 Series Touring and best option for me was a Bumper Bib. Made of padded vinyl it simply folds out to completely cover the bumper and then you just fold it inside the boot, rolled up it takes up hardly any space. Problem with any of the items that just cover the top of the bumper are that the rest of the bumper is very vulnerable to stray paws. Think its Bumper Bibs from The UK Bumper Bib Company go for the large model and your bumper is well protected.

Thanks Davy, that looks like what I need and it's cheaper too! +++

They really are excellent, i have bought 3 or 4 now for my cars and other family members. The padded type vinyl means the dogs claws could never do any damage.

It just sticks to inside your boot somewhere with a strip of velcro, just make sure if sticking to plastic its nice and clean to get a decent grip.

Also have an excellent product for keeping the boot clean after my new car / dirty dog dilemmas. Its called Hatchbag, probably Hatchbag - Bootliners - The Original Boot liner, Pet Mats, Odour Controller, boot liner, boot liners, car boot liners, bootliner. totally covers the inside of the boot with a black vinyl liner, not the cheapest but custom made to fit each car.

As an aside to that I actually have 2 hatchbags from previous cars I would sell if anyone is interested, I have one for an X3 and one for an E91 3 Series Touring. They cost about £70 but are umarked and keen to sell if anyone interested.