i want to buy a 2nd hand golf

aymski86

ive decided i want to buy a 2nd hand golf and hoping you guys could help me choosing the right model

my budget is £6k - this is what i have saved in cash but i could possibly borrow an extra 1/2 k of the parents if i really needed ;-)

I want something that isnt older than 5 years.

now i have been looking through auto trader but there are just too many variations , petrol/diesel , engine size, fsi, tdi, gt blah blah i really dont know whats right for me.

my previous car was an a3 1.6 which was quite sluggish so i would like something with a bit of power but wont cost a fortune in insurance ( im 23)

Mileage - im not decdided on this as personally i think knowing who has been drving the car is more essential but that is impossible so i suppose i should be looking at service and garage history, what mileage should i be looking at? also are there certain things that are 'usual' problems with the car?

spec wise im not wanting much as long as it has cd player/radio, air con etc which i would imagine is standard, arm rest would be good is ther certain models i should look at which will have this?

thanks for your time

I really liked the V5 when I had one for a few weeks, was a long time ago but I rated it quite highly.

Obviously the V6 4 motion would be preferable but I expect thats not cheap to insure for a 23 year old.

I'd go with Mooks recommendation of the GT TDi, although I suspect the GT badge will up the insurance a bit compared to the standard 130bhp TDi.

Edited by Tipex

Don't they do a non GT diesel then with the 130pd engine?

I know it's not the most powerful engine in the world, but I really rate the 130pd (for a diesel obviously), pulls very well especially from taxi driver rpms, and responds well to a bit of tuneage too.

• 5 weeks later...
It is a Mk5 +++

What's the Glasses book on it? Check Glass's Used Car Prices, Vehicle Valuations, Motorbike Prices +++

1.6 is fine - not stupidly quick, but a lot cheaper to insure than a 2.0 TDI.

that was in relation to ur first reply bout a mk 4 lol.

also i reckon parkers guide is better.

i hear alot of people complain about a FSI. even in the comon faults sticky in this forum lol.

try a 1.6 S

thanks for your input fellas...final question (think i have found the car !) GT TDI AND GT FSI obviously ones petrol and ones diesel the one im looking to buy is the fsi, i understand diesel the better choice but what are the problems with the gt fsi's? i wont be doing much mileage in it probably around 5-6k a year?

it states that th bhp is 150

thanks for your input fellas...final question (think i have found the car !) GT TDI AND GT FSI obviously ones petrol and ones diesel the one im looking to buy is the fsi, i understand diesel the better choice but what are the problems with the gt fsi's? i wont be doing much mileage in it probably around 5-6k a year?

it states that th bhp is 150

The 2.0 litre Fsi is 150bhp....I think the 1.6 Fsi produced about 110-115 bhp....The 2.0 litre engine was dropped from the Audi/VW/Seat line up a few years ago.....I seem to re-call the reviews for this engine were not very good.It made a bit of racket when worked hard and was a bit asthmatic as the revs approached the red line.The 1.6 produces less power but is smoother and more willing to rev but you`ll have to work it hard to make progress.....But then your only 23yrs old and part of the fun of driving a car when your young is to keep the engine spinning within a whisker of the limiter:grin:.The 130bhp tdi will be a more leisurely and relaxing drive as the torque of the diesel engine means lower revs and less gear changing.I think the only way to choose is to test drive the diesel....I just have this feeling that although the diesel is the sensible choice as its the better engine.....you just might find it a tad dull at your age.(I know that sounds a little condescending to make a point about your age)....but if your spending 6k of your hard earned £££ you`ll want your new motor to bring a smile to your face every-time you sit in it.....A 130bhp diesel with a narrow power band might just be a tad boring....even if it is the better car/engine combination for real world motoring.+++

edit...just noticed you already have a 1.6 A3(I`v driven the 1.6 A3 and I also thought it was a bit feeble...but then I`am use to driving 200+bhp motors).....I think it`s the same engine in the Golf.....and your post suggests you feel this engine is a bit weak...The 2.0 litre will have more torque/power but I`v heard it`s not as smooth or refined as the 1.6 litre.....Have you considered a used Lexus IS200....These have a straight 6 2.0litre 150bhp engine which is super smooth and the car is ultra reliable.....Some on this site really don`t like the Lexus but I had one for 5yrs and covered 80k trouble free miles from new.....I have to add it was a bit thirsty but then you only cover 6k miles/year

Edited by Mr Man

thanks again guys. i thought the 2.0 gt tdi was 140 engine i heard its quite powerful and econmoic too?

i think im going to go with a gt tdi 2.0, ones in my price range have about 80 - 95 miles on the clock but have full vw service history, also had the cambelt changed, just wondering when i go to look at the cars is there anything in particular i should look out for with that kind of mileage on

thanks again guys. i thought the 2.0 gt tdi was 140 engine i heard its quite powerful and econmoic too?

i think im going to go with a gt tdi 2.0, ones in my price range have about 80 - 95 miles on the clock but have full vw service history, also had the cambelt changed, just wondering when i go to look at the cars is there anything in particular i should look out for with that kind of mileage on

I think the 2.0tdi engine(140bhp) was introduced in 2004/05.....I have to admit I`am not a fan of smaller diesel engines but I test drove an A3 with this engine in 2005 and I thought it was fantastic...It has bags of torque(pulling power/grunt) which makes day to day driving pretty relaxing.What you will notice is that the car will feel a bit nose heavy due to the fact that it has a heavy diesel engine up front...I test drove an A3 2.0tdi back to back with a 2.0Tfsi and the extra weight of the diesel engine was really noticeable...Stiffer,sporty suspension set ups mask this extra weight a little but you are aware of if you do back to back tests with a lighter petrol engined car.At the time this engine really did raise the bar for smaller capacity diesel engines so I`am sure you wont be disappointed....As for what to look out for on a car with 90k miles....well it all depends on how well it`s been looked after and serviced.A well maintained diesel engine should be good for over 200k+....the problem wont be the engine per-say but everything else...(ie suspension components....eg worn bushes/...worn steering components/clutch/fuel/water pumps...etc..etc)...the list goes on but these are all components that are prone to wear and tear through day to day use....but that's why your new motor cost about 18k+ 5yrs ago and is now worth only 6k....If I was in your position I`d get a friendly mechanic to give it the once over to look for any obvious faults...or even better pay for an RAC/AA inspection....However a professional inspection can`t guarantee a component wont fail but it does give you some reassurance that there are no damaged/excessively worn components that you will undoubtedly not be aware of/notice yourself.

Edited by Mr Man

I think the 2.0tdi engine(140bhp) was introduced in 2004/05.....I have to admit I`am not a fan of smaller diesel engines but I test drove an A3 with this engine in 2005 and I thought it was fantastic...It has bags of torque(pulling power/grunt) which makes day to day driving pretty relaxing.What you will notice is that the car will feel a bit nose heavy due to the fact that it has a heavy diesel engine up front...I test drove an A3 2.0tdi back to back with a 2.0Tfsi and the extra weight of the diesel engine was really noticeable...Stiffer,sporty suspension set ups mask this extra weight a little but you are aware of if you do back to back tests with a lighter petrol engined car.At the time this engine really did raise the bar for smaller capacity diesel engines so I`am sure you wont be disappointed....As for what to look out for on a car with 90k miles....well it all depends on how well it`s been looked after and serviced.A well maintained diesel engine should be good for over 200k+....the problem wont be the engine per-say but everything else...(ie suspension components....eg worn bushes/...worn steering components/clutch/fuel/water pumps...etc..etc)...the list goes on but these are all components that are prone to wear and tear through day to day use....but that's why your new motor cost about 18k+ 5yrs ago and is now worth only 6k....If I was in your position I`d get a friendly mechanic to give it the once over to look for any obvious faults...or even better pay for an RAC/AA inspection....However a professional inspection can`t guarantee a component wont fail but it does give you some reassurance that there are no damaged/excessively worn components that you will undoubtedly not be aware of/notice yourself.

cheers for that info mate really do appreciate your input.

IS200? Might be a bit too 'old man' image. Although it is a lovely sounding engine and a fine car.

I think his mates would be jealous after initially taking the piss. You get Lexus reliability too. Plenty to choose from.

I'd be happy with one! (but I'm 40)

Yea...I know what you mean....I bought one in 2000 when I was 36 and I thought it was a good looking car then...I saw one a few days ago and I still think it`s a pretty hansom motor...IMO it`s aged really well and I still prefer it to the new IS 250....It would be interesting to know what the youngsters!! think about it`s looks.....As you say the engine sounded ace when revved...and it really was super smooth at the top end....plus the car has all the kit you end up paying big £££ as options on the German equivalent....At the time I specced up an equivalent A4 and the cost of the options on the A4 to bring it upto the specc of the Lexus was just under 4k!!....The run out models in 2004/5 had sat nav as standard fitment as well....Infact I`am tempted to have a look to see what these fully specced up 2004/5 models are fetching now....It would`t surprise me if they were within the budget of the OP......The standard sound system was ace as well.

Edited by Mr Man