Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanie

Considering my first Audi

18 posts in this topic

As the title suggests I'm looking to buy my first Audi. My preference is 3.1TdI Tiptronic Quatro.

Never owed a diesel before, always 6 cyl petrols. I do low mileage, but car tax rates on v6 petrols just doesn't seem to make sense any more, so hence the diesel.

I find the options list a bit mesmerising for Audi's, so I have some questions which current drivers of A5's might be able to answer:-

1) The S line package, is there separate internal & external S packages?

2) What is the bumper difference between the S line and SE versions, anyone any pics?

3) The Panoramic sunroof, is there an opaque blind that you can close? anyone any pics?

4) Does the sports suspension lower the car 10mm - just like the S line option?

5) Are you able to put down the rear seats in order to put large items in the boot? Or do you have to order the load through option?

6) What does the Advanced key option give you?

7) Do the wing mirrors automatically fold, or is that an option?

8) What does the Audi Parking system advanced do?

Thanks

Hi mate,

In answer to your questions...

1) If you're in the UK its one package, but the suspension is optional I believe.

2) The Sline bumper has a pronounced lip around the front lower grills and looks a bit meaner.

3) Not sure on this one but dont think there's a solid blind.

4) Yes, but the Sline is 10mm lower on top again (and harder)

5) Rear seats only fold with the through load option.

6) Advanced key is basically keyless go, have the key on you, car unlocks when you get near, get in and press the start button.

7) Mirrors fold if you have the foldy mirrors option, but not automatically.

8) Advanced park has a rear camera built in using the Nav screen.

Folding rear seats were standard when I got mine, are they charging for it now??

If you are in the UK I don't think you can specify the sun roof or if you can it will lead to an even longer delivery time than normal (which is currently 5 to 6 months).

OK, maybe the seats do fold, I was looking at the through load facility option... 3X2 in the latest price and spec guide.

If you're considering the 3.0TDi Coupe - Audi are releasing the S-tronic gearbox this month.

Might be worth waiting to be able to spec this as the Tiptronic option will probably cease.

(or move quick if you want the tiptronic of course!)

Also be careful if you are speccing the satnav as the Nav only option is the older DVD type nav unit, the technology pack gets the newer, and vastly superior HDD Nav.

hth

Thanks guys for all the replies. I only saw one "Sat Nav" option which was the MMI Navi Plus - is that the newer version? On the Sat Nav, is it Hard Disk or a DVD based i.e. if you want updated maps, does the dealer have to do that?

I don't know much about gears, but I guess S tronic is the one to go for, if available. I read an article on the S tronic and it mentions you can move the gears by a 'rocker switch' on the steering wheel, I assume thats the paddles?

The dealer has confirmed the seats do split without the load through option being needed

Does the fold mirror option allow you to auto fold if you park up the car?

Does the fold mirror option allow you to auto fold if you park up the car?

Yes, its on the computer, you can set it to auto fold if you wish +++

If you're considering the 3.0TDi Coupe - Audi are releasing the S-tronic gearbox this month.

Might be worth waiting to be able to spec this as the Tiptronic option will probably cease.

hth

Your correct, from week 3 production in 2010, Tiptronic gearbox will change to S tronic. Prices will stay the same

Will this effect emissions?

emissions of S-Tronic probably same as Manual and a bit better than Tip auto.

Difference compared to Tip is that STronic when used manually will change gear exactly when you ask so can be driven more like a true manual if you wish for keener drivers, Tip will change gear when it feels like it so is more a conventional auto that will kind of change gear a some point after you ask (with paddles or lever). Technically S-tronic is more efficient as doesnt rely on lossy torque convertor, so economy should be same or even better than manual, Tip in real world will be about 10% less economical.

Mirrors - the auto dip function for mirrors when reversing is only avalable with comfort pack I think.

Nav - afaik the HDD nav is only included in the technology pack, the nav option on its own is the dvd one.

DL the pdf brochure and read options carefully. It is often out of date but the option codes are correct.

Mirrors - the auto dip function for mirrors when reversing is only avalable with comfort pack I think.

I'm pretty sure the mirror dip function can be turned on via VAGCOM regardless of whether you have the Comfort pack. Info here...

Interesting VAG-COM codes for Audi A5/A4 B8/Q5, many for A6/A8/Q7 as well (by LoCal) - Audi A6 Q7 A8 A4 A5 Retrofit Jälkiasennus Nachrüsten Retro-fit

I'm pretty sure the mirror dip function can be turned on via VAGCOM regardless of whether you have the Comfort pack. Info here...

Interesting - but do you need the folding option? Cant see why as it is only the glass that dips.

Anyone know if the vagcom codes work?

There are plenty of people on the a5oc.com board that have got the dipping mirror to work and you don't need the folding option +++

great news - nearly bought the comfort pack for this - then decided it was stupid waste of money. Happy now :)

Your correct, from week 3 production in 2010, Tiptronic gearbox will change to S tronic. Prices will stay the same

Will this effect emissions?

Apart from the 2.5% VAT increase.....and in early 2010 there will be a price increase too for Audi (and most other German marques)

Don't discount the 2.0Tdi as well here.

Apart from the 2.5% VAT increase.....and in early 2010 there will be a price increase too for Audi (and most other German marques)

Or the 2.0 Tfsi petrol.....It`s a great engine with loads of pull (torque) at lower revs, which makes it a very drivable engine...ie you don`t have to rev it to the red line to make brisk progress....plus it`s very tunable if you want a few more bhp.....The 2.0Tfsi feels and drives like a 3.0 litre normally aspirated petrol engine.....CO2 emissions are relatively low and the fuel consumption is`t too bad either......+ it`s cheaper than the 3.0Tdi as well....It`s definitely worth a test drive.

Or the 2.0 Tfsi petrol.....It`s a great engine with loads of pull (torque) at lower revs, which makes it a very drivable engine...ie you don`t have to rev it to the red line to make brisk progress....plus it`s very tunable if you want a few more bhp.....The 2.0Tfsi feels and drives like a 3.0 litre normally aspirated petrol engine.....CO2 emissions are relatively low and the fuel consumption is`t too bad either......+ it`s cheaper than the 3.0Tdi as well....It`s definitely worth a test drive.

Yeah, 2nd that I have driven the 2.0T petrol and it was very impressive, almost diesel like torque low down.

All new Audi prices in Ireland have dropped 10% since 1st Oct

good luck the irish, trouble is UK Pound dropped 30% against Euro so we get the price hike in the new year :(

thanks Gordon the clown