New car purchase

Three_Mile

I posted a similar thread earlier in the year.

Our 1st is expected in December. We have actually put the car on hold and were going to see how we get on with the Focus. However, with a similar budget I was looking at a couple of motors, an S4 2nd hand (I'd like an RS4, but far too expensive as I need less than 5 years old for work car allowance).

The outside choice at the moment is a Skoda Octavia vRS, under 20k brand new and highly regarded in the press.

Getting a bit of stick though from my mates after years of driving a Porker!

My wife is about to have our second child, therefore we have decided to buy a new bigger car. We've decided on an estate and have about £20k to spend, any sugestions (we don't mind new or used).

Petrol or diesel?

What sort of seating do you need - ISOfix?

Do you want a SUV type thing? SK and Dave swear by their 4x4's for getting kids in and out.

Whereas I find my A6 Avant is fine - swallows pushchairs, dishwashers etc no problems!

Plenty of used cars about. +++

Need to know a bit more really 3 mile, how many miles, how concerned are you about running costs, bothered about performance/handling at all, resale, image etc etc...

My standard answer for this question is Volvo V70 T5, but I know nothing.

Tipex and Garcon will tell you Subaru Legacy, the scabbier the better.

Dave will suggest some god-awful monster 4X4.

Shark_90 will suggest an Octavia VRs with eleventy billion bhp.

Mook will suggest a mk2 Golf Gti, with a HUGE turbo.

Cruiser will suggest some big, posh Audi.

Andy_B will suggest anything you can get your mate's wife in the back of.

TheSlowAndTheDubious will suggest contraception and a Subaru SVX that he's trying to flog.

... none of us will be right... :grin:

I posted a similar thread earlier in the year.

Our 1st is expected in December. We have actually put the car on hold and were going to see how we get on with the Focus. However, with a similar budget I was looking at a couple of motors, an S4 2nd hand (I'd like an RS4, but far too expensive as I need less than 5 years old for work car allowance).

The outside choice at the moment is a Skoda Octavia vRS, under 20k brand new and highly regarded in the press.

Getting a bit of stick though from my mates after years of driving a Porker!

We got on fine with the Golf and a SLK with only one child, but the amount of kit to go on holidays will be a bit of a push in the Golf so the SLK is going.

Would like a petrol but guessing may have to go down diesel route.

Don't like SUV and 4x4 hence estate seems best choice.

I know the skoda is a good value for money choice, but I don't know if i could bring myself to drive one!!...So i guess image is still quite important..

I think the Mazda6 is one of the best looking estates around (not exactly VW inside though). A lightly used 2.2 Diesel Sport (180bhp!) would be my choice.

I'd also look at Insignia (another decent looker IMO) and Mondeo (very nice in Titanium trim).

Aside from that, (believe it or not) I wouldn't bother looking at the Legacy - late used ones haven't settled back in price enough yet considering a (rather expensive) brand new model is already in the showrooms.

Given the budget of 20k, I think I'd sooner look at these suggestions than a 3 series - cos I'm guessing you'd end up looking at 2 years old for a nice 320d compared to a few months or brand new for these.

Having said that, what you lose in terms of age and servicing costs on 2 year old BMW/Audi you gain in reduced depreciation.

my mum just bought an estate as she will shortly have, hopefully, 2 grandchildren. She got a brand new Passat Estate R Line DSG Tdi, few extras and she paid just shy of £17k for it, using the vw scrappage incentive - great car for the size and a decent (if pretty boring) drive too...

We are in a similar situation with kids although coming out of a large 4x4 back into a company car. We plumped for the A4 Avant. Its a little cheaper than the BMW and comes with more toys. it will also easily take a roof box for those really long journeys with push chairs etc.

There seems to be a good second hand market too, and as an aside, Reading Audi have been superb for us over the years for servicing etc.

That said, unless you go for the quattro, i think the BMW drives better than the FWD Audis, particulalry the tourquey diesels. Again, the 3 series will take a roof box.

The Seat Exeo Wagon looks alright and should be in budget.

Personally, the all new Honda Accord Tourer seems like a great car, good mix of engines and gearboxes. Strong residual values make them an all around great car to own.

Failing that the all new Avensis wagon offers incredible value for money and up to 180 HP diesel engine that has plenty of power and go its got to be worth a look.

There are just far too many models in this sector too ever get a clear show of hands for any one particular car.

My advice would be to simply trawl the showrooms and see what you like, I'd turn this into a "what should I avoid" thread.

And on that note, I'd avoid Peugeot & Renault at all costs, I know quite a few people who've been told to avoid Peugeot in particular, but they 'pop in' for a quick look, get seduced by the 407 and it's seemingly good value, upmarket looks and leather etc, but they all regret it without exception!

Being in the situation myself (having a 3 year old and a 1 year old ) I would recommend the largest possible internal volume. That's why I have an XC90. I previously had an A6 saloon and an A6 avant and would say that a new shape A6 avant would be really nice for the family, as would a new shape v70. The car you can get for £20k may not be a 'sexy' 3.0tdi or T5 but they will be quick enough and, most importantly, big enough for all the cr*p that gets thrown in the back of them. For me a nearly new V70 or a 2/3 year old A6 avant would be my choice.

Here's an example of a V70 SE Lux:

Volvo Used Vehicle Locator

Jon.

I would take a good look around before commiting. Having had more estate cars for my business then most people have had normal cars you get to know what to look for.

Things like Passat, mentioned a few times on here is the sort of car i would avoid. Its not all that well thought out, its estate abilities are little compromised by the rear lip which means things that should be easy are not and it has issues swallowing large loads.

Theres no harness or load holding systems, so items in the back roam free and clonk around as you drive. The list of things missing from most estate cars thats would make them worthy choices is endless. Most of the examples on the market will leave you thinking "they should of...." after you had the car a few weeks!

Smart money for a quick, quality motor is a R-Design V70 T6. Early versions had some breathing issues and dident seem to so fluid but anything from Q2 '08 should be pretty sweet and about 20 ponies of 300HP you cant go wrong!

First buyers would have had the depreciation problem so you get a car with a very nice interior that does a everything an estate should. Good brand and fast car! Estate car, real estate car....proper estate car....