Warranty or not?

DHA

Just had the letter from VW about my warranty expiry (start of next month). No price info but I have to email someone if I want more details, it appears to be through mondial warranty and not a "official" VW one.

Has anyone gone with them or should I just run without warranty?

Ask for a list of exactly what's included and excluded from an extended warranty. The first extended year is usually reasonable but what's included becomes less and less in subsequent years.

My VW dealer privately advised me that it simply wasn't worth it as I was regularly maintaining my car.

Hope this helps +++

Sods law - if you take out the policy you'll have no need to claim. If you don't something will break! :grin:

Yes I can expect that will happen!! Third service is next week, before the expiry, so hopefully anything that needs replacing will be fixed then.

....True, but it never stopped me!

Some VW dealers are much more mod friendly than others.

+++

Edit: Mod friendly or not, it would have been interesting to see their reaction if your turbo blew after a remap and needed replacing - just the risk I suppose +++

:grin: Nissan HPC's are not so keen on mods - apparently a gearbox replacement costs the same as a Golf GTi... :eek:

Edit: Mod friendly or not, it would have been interesting to see their reaction if your turbo blew after a remap and needed replacing - just the risk I suppose +++

....My turbo did 'go'! Crack in the wastegate manifold : -

BoostLeak6.jpg

My dealer was very supportive but I knew better than to ask for any warranty help. JKM diagnosed and sorted the problem. They have loads of data logging on my car.

+++

Speaking generally and not specifically about RR's dealer :

Friendly dealer = dealer who's willing to ignore mods.

This can also be phrased as a dealer who's willing to defraud the manufacturer by doing warranty work that perhaps shouldn't be done.

I know Audi came down hard on a couple of dealers for doing so.

Remember - the dealers are not the manufacturers. They are just a franchise. They are meant to apply the rules and if they don't they risk losing their franchise.

Understand exactly what you're saying, Scotty +++ Just for the record my VW dealer is mod friendly inasmuch that they will do whatever they can on my car and not refuse the work just because I've got mods. Some things they have been able to justify as warranty work and others not - We have a very open and honest relationship and I have made friends with several of the people who work there - It's team work. I help them to help me.

I shall be popping by just socially tomorrow and I'm always made to feel very welcome. But I do realise that I'm lucky and not all dealers are like this. Perhaps it's partly driven by the fact that I've always been upfront and fair with them and treat them as people and not 'stealers'.

+++