ipod lead? (New Scirocco)

Gareth

The VW unit is called the MDI, not sure how much it costs.

The best aftermarket device is the Dension Gateway 100/300. The 100 is iPod and Aux, the 300 is IPod, USB and Aux. The price difference is £50 between the two gateways. The major advantage of the Dension over the MDI is that you can have the iPod and USB connected at the same time and switch between then, whereas with the MDI you'd have to fiddle around swapping cables in the armrest/glovebox. Not good while driving!

I'm a Dension dealer now so if you need any more info or pricing just give me a shout.

The iPod and USB leads for the MDI should be supplied with the car. They don't come from the factory but the dealer is meant to add them during PDI. You shouldn't have to pay for them.

As supplied the car has a USB cable under the front centre arm rest but that doesn't fit the ipod (Nano in this case)

Therefore I assumed another cable-that you have to buy as with most makes-is required to use the ipod whilst also charging it. Otherwise the AUX input can be used but that won't charge the ipod of course.

If the Scirocco has the MDI installed (I don't know if it's a standard fit) then you just need a cable from your VW dealer. The part number is 000 051 446 C and they cost about £25.

Yes the MDI is standard in the 2.0GT Fsi Scirocco - and thanks for posting that code for the cable. Sounds like that is what is needed here...

As supplied the car has a USB cable under the front centre arm rest but that doesn't fit the ipod (Nano in this case)

Therefore I assumed another cable-that you have to buy as with most makes-is required to use the ipod whilst also charging it. Otherwise the AUX input can be used but that won't charge the ipod of course.

Yes it is a different cable, but it should be included by the dealer too. You should get both cables as standard (I know it's only £25 for one, but it's the principle!)

Yes it is a different cable, but it should be included by the dealer too. You should get both cables as standard (I know it's only £25 for one, but it's the principle!)

Thanks. Are you 100% sure it is standard?? Most manufacturers do not include the ipod lead with any car and you have to buy it at the time of purchase.....would be surprised if it was standard but happy to be proven wrong!

Just spoke to VW customer services and they confirmed the lead isn't standard and you have to buy it. Perhaps you got yours thrown in FOC as a goodwill gesture because you bought your car new?

So another lead for £25 it is then!!

Just spoke to VW customer services and they confirmed the lead isn't standard and you have to buy it. Perhaps you got yours thrown in FOC as a goodwill gesture because you bought your car new?

So another lead for £25 it is then!!

VW customer services don't know their arse from their elbow. Check out the price list Page 5 - http://cdn.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/pricelists/scirocco-pricelist.pdf

– MDI (Multi Device Interface) with USB and iPod connection cables

It's a bit strange that the leads don't come with the car from the factory, and the dealer has to add them at PDI, but that's how it is. Check out IPod Connection - Roccopedia

Edited by Atlantis

VW customer services don't know their arse from their elbow. Check out the price list Page 5 - http://cdn.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/common/pdf/pricelists/scirocco-pricelist.pdf

– MDI (Multi Device Interface) with USB and iPod connection cables

It's a bit strange that the leads don't come with the car from the factory, and the dealer has to add them at PDI, but that's how it is. Check out IPod Connection - Roccopedia

Agreed, waste of space at VW CS!!

My car was supplied with the wrong lead and it has (I hear) happended to quite a few cars since launch.

• 4 weeks later...

Both cables are supposed to be supplied free of charge from your dealer on collection of the car. This topic has been mentioned many times on the Scirocco Net & Scirocco Central forums. So your dealer aint doing you any favours by giving them to you as if you buy a new car they are your's to start with.