My local dealers latest offer

Snoopy

xxxxxxx are proud to announce our exclusive relationship with Volkswagen Racing UK. We have teamed up with the official racing team to offer our customers exclusive VWR Upgradge packages that are available on Golf GTI and Scirocco models. ...The two options are – Pack 1 – Power increase to 250bhp, torque increase to 380Nm, performance VWR rear exhaust and performance VWR air filter - £1,499 fully fitted. Pack 2 – VWR Sport Spring Set, 20mm lover ride height - £599 fully fitted.

A bootlid badge and certficate will accompany the mechanical changes also included is a top-up warranty to match the duration of the Volkswagen manuafacturers standard warranty.Call now for more information xxxxxxxxxxx

It is quite expensive when you consider the Revo stage 1 map is £500'ish, a Milltek Catback is £550'ish and a performance air filter panel is up to £50. For the money they're asking, I'd be insisting on getting a full turbo back exhaust. Still, it's intereswting to see that some dealers are providing such services to their cusomers.

Wouldn't expect anything less from a dealer though, would you? If I were paying £1,500 for a dealer mod I'd expect the warranty not to be invalidated.

Don't be misled.....although that's what dealers try and do.

If any of these retro fit components cause an issue then that fault will NOT be covered under the VW warranty. What they're saying is they'll back to back a 3rd party warranty to cover this eventuality.

I wonder if the 3rd part cover is European wide (as per a VW warranty) or whether and repair would have to be done by VWR.

My local dealer in Portsmouth just sent me out their brochure which has a full page spread for their 'Racing' division with a couple of blingy cars (Eos and Scirocco) they apparently do body mods as well as performance upgrades which is interesting cos when I was there a few weeks back the sales man said they frown on all engine tunes.

I was thinking about writing to VW some months ago (not that it will do any good probably), suggesting that they're missing a trick by not offering manufacturer-sanctioned performance upgrades.

I'm thinking here of the likes of the Ford's ST with dealer-installed Mountune power upgrades available, maintaining the car's warranty. One magazine claimed that it made the ST better than the new Focus RS in many ways (better power in some gears or something).

Now I can see why VW wouldn't want to do it maybe - potential blown engines (although it's virtually the same engine as the R, isn't it?), plus a 250bhp upgrade could be too close to the forthcoming 265bhp R, which IMO should really be 280bhp. But, does anyone know if VW-sanctioned power upgrades currently are, or will become, available country-wide? In other words, that VW will fully warranty the car, and it won't be the dealer taking the risk etc.

It might make a difference to whether I buy a new Mk6 GTI or MINI JCW shortly; I'm finding it hard to decide between them.

As an aside, does anyone know who the best insurer for declaring modified engines is, and do they insist on bigger brakes and engineers reports like they used to? (I'm assuming that *some* people actually declare mods!)

(although it's virtually the same engine as the R, isn't it?),
No, There different engines. The R has many internal stengthened parts, and a bigger turbo as well as a different head, Over the mk5 engine that is.

The new Mk6 GTI EA888 engines there a huge amount of differences.

Differences between the GTI Mark V and Mark VI engine | my-gti.com

most of that link is correct.

Edited by Snoopy

Re: the different engines. Thanks Snoop, but I'm still a bit confused as I was comparing the Mk6 GTI with Mk6 'R', and also that chart doesn't seem to take into account the ED30. Therefore, can someone please point me in the direction of more info about the different engines (perhaps by PM if it'll take this thread off-topic). I understood that we had something along the lines of:

Mk5 GTI engine - 197bhp

Mk5 GTI ED30 engine - 230bhp (using slightly larger Turbo and internals from Audi S3)

Mk6 GTI engine - 207bhp, but virtually the same engine as the ED30 (so effectively, easily capable of 260bhp odd)

Mk6 'R' engine - 265bhp, but related to which of the above, and is the turbo bigger than the Mk6 GTI?

I'm a bit confused now, but would like to cross-reference all the different (VW and Audi) engine Ref No's and specs, so that I can compare. So, if someone can either spell it out for me, or point me in the direction of another thread, I would really appreciate it.

Ultimately (and to get back on topic), for me, although it would definitely be desirable, it doesn't look like the 'R' would be worth stretching myself for if it's possible to boost the Mk6 GTI to 250bhp, as the former would inevitably cost me about £7k more (due to loss of Scrappage, the VAT increase and the anticipated £26/£27k list price).

Mk5 GTI engine - 197bhp

more than one version see link above

Mk5 GTI ED30 engine - 230bhp (using slightly larger Turbo and internals from Audi S3)

Yes. See link above near the bottom of the list think its a *1 reference iirc

Mk6 GTI engine - 207bhp, but virtually the same engine as the ED30 (so effectively, easily capable of 260bhp odd)

This is incorrect the mk6 GTI uses a new engine modular design/range. Called EA888 (see link right hand columb). Its not the older engine or ed30 engine it also has the smaller turbo like the olde mk5 unit does so limits tunning.

Mk6 'R' engine - 265bhp, but related to which of the above, and is the turbo bigger than the Mk6 GTI?

This is the current S3 engine plain and simple its the 'older unit' similar to the Ed30 unit.

Edited by Snoopy