New laptop (PC) suggestions - Part 2

cabby

I've been tasked with finding a laptop for 2 family members. Both will be used for relatively simple stuff - surfing and the odd bit of word processing. The only other main factor that will influence choice is budget which i'm guessing will be circa £400 (seems adequate for what is needed).

To make the process as easy as possible (for me) I went straight to JL to see what they have on offer (spec comparison below - not sure how legible this is).

attachment.php?attachmentid=37368&d=1255955256

The Tosh and Acer look more than adequate but would be reassuing/helpful the get opionions from fellow TSN's +++.

post-6083-137914438202_thumb.jpg

Edited by cabby

Just remebered that Skype will also be used so a integrated webcam is required. Both the Tosh and Acer have these.

Dell have an Inspiron 1545 that comes in at £408, spec. below.

- Intel® Pentium Dual Core Processor T3400 (2.16 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)

- Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English

- Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)

- 1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return

- No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English

- No Accidental Damage Support

- FailSafe® Theft Protection - track and protect lost or stolen laptops - 30 days free trial

- 15.6" Widescreen WXGA CCFL (1366 x 768) TFT Display with TrueLife™

- 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]

- 160GB (5,400rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

- Intel Integrated GMA 4500MHD

- DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

- 4-cell 24WHr Li-Ion primary battery

- Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)

- No Bluetooth Upgrade

- 1.3 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera

- Black Colour with Matte Finish

The Dell is running Windows 7 compared with Vista Home for JL's offerings. One of these machines is for my wife's 85 yo grandfather whose been on a course so may have to go with a Vista machine if that's what he's been taught on.

All thoughts / suggestions welcome.

I'd go with the Tosh or Acer. Both are superb brands and I know many people with them and they've been faultless.

So, have a look and see which one looks the best in your eyes! (as there is bugger all in it).

I am sure the Dell is very capable........it's just I don't like them, so won't recommend a Dell lappy.

I should have pre-empted the mac suggestions. If it were for me, it would be a mac, but it's not. I 'converted' some years ago now + don't think there is much chance of getting anything decent apple-wise for the £400 budget in question.

Cruiser - agree on the Dell comment; I've never been treated especially badly by them but would just rather not give them any business.