Amazing acceleration - 2010 Porsche Turbo PDK launch control video

jools360

I was lucky enough to drive the new 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo at the world press launch at Estoril Circuit in Portugal last week. As I work for Racelogic, I managed to put our latest video/timing equipment on-board for a launch control start.

0-60mph in 3.08s (0-100km/h 3.20s), and that was the Cabriolet!

Video is here:

(in-car Video was taken using Video VBOX Lite Video VBOX - State of the art in-car video)

The Engine was simply stunning, with very little turbo lag. Because they have increased the engine size (3.8L), increased the compression ratio, used direct injection, a new dry sump and used clever cooling expansion intakes, they have dropped the boost to 0.8bar (1.0bar overboost), which combined with the variable geomtery turbos has virtually eliminated any lag. Certainly when you floor the throttle coming out of a bend (and you really can it's that stable), the massive shove in the back is instant, and hugely impressive.

The new Porsche Torque Vectoring system worked a treat, reducing understeer when you take too much speed into a corner, and the new tyre compounds were regularly showing 1.2g braking and cornering forces.

Acceleration times here:

table.gif

All the journalists were very impressed, and all of the small changes have added up to a very noticeable improvement. I have driven the GT-R, and this was in a different league!

Don't worry Bazza - I've got something in the pipeline to seriously piss on your chips :secret::P

Would that be the Hydrogen turbo injected Fiat 500 with 15" rims in Bile Yellow by any chance ?

There are rumours from Top Gear that it will be the Fastest thing to hit there track ?

from a crane since the Appol 120 Caravan in the last series !! LOL

• 2 months later...

I drove one of these at the Silverstone RS event. It was MASSIVLY fast. Doing launch control the whole car seemed to lurch back like a boat then shoot off all 4 wheels spinning. a very refined car and luxurious. I might be accustomed to harder edged cars but to me it seemed more like a GT than a sports car...?