New TV Required

Mac

Hi guys

Some advice needed. I want a new TV for my front room. Viewing distance is about 3 metres.

Currently I have a 37" LG LCD in there that's OK but not brilliant - I used to rent this flat out but now I'm living in it.

Not massively into TV but I do want something reasonable. Stuff plugged into it: Sky+HD, Playstation 3, AppleTV.

How big can I go do you think at that viewing distance? Also, any particular product recommendations? Like I say I'm not massively into television viewing so I won't see the benefit of spending loads on one?

Thanks +++

Mac,

I sit just under 3m away from My 42" Panasonic PX70 Plasma,

Its fantastic for SD and HD playback. +++

Hopsta has seen mine, and I imagine he would agree. It was not long until he bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma too. :grin:

If i needed to replace mine, i would certainly consider the option of a 46" or 50", but thats only because i have now got used to what originally looked a massive TV, and consider it normal.

I used to be a big fan of Sony too Mook, my old 32" Sony Trinitron CRT is still going strong, and has an amazing picture, however, the 42" Bravia has been a dissapointment.

It's really annoying on Sky HD as it randomly blanks the screen and pops up the "HDMI" channel indicator, only for a second or two, but always just at wrong moment.

And the picture on the Sony's just cannot match that of the Pannys.

At the moment, I've got an LG 37" in the lounge, and for the money, it's great, easily on par with the Sony, but a third of the price.

I'm going to get a 42" soon though, as I've got a bigger lounge and the 37" looks tiny, I'll definately be going for a panny!

I don't rate Sony TV's at all, a few friends and family have bought them and had no end of problems.

For Plasma I don't think you can beat Panasonic - my parents have a 42" Panasonic of some description (I forget what) and the picture is fantastic! For LCD I like Samsung.

I'd get a cheap 50" samsung if you want 50"... am sure i saw one for 600 or 700 the other week. most tech specs are gibberish and pointless. eg cannot see 1080p pixels on a 50" tv from 10ft - unless you're superman. and cannot see <100hz flicker on a digital panel as there is no flicker. and motion interpolation causes more artifacts than it prevents.

even a good quality 720p samsung tv will look fab at 10ft and be cheap as chips.

panasonic/sony overrated too IMO.

Chav your talking out your botty, are you due an eye test ?

Panasonic make the best mid spec TV's, Samsung aren't even on the start line when compared for price and quality of picture.

Those all important blacks, are charcoal on Samsungs. Since Mac mentioned bolt on kit such as gaming, Apple TV etc do you seriously believe a Samsung would be the better of the purchase choices when doing a Samsung v Panasonic side by side test :roflmao:

you make tv's or are doing a phd in display technology now?

most tech specs are gibberish. contrast ratings are useless, and no-one wants to shift to ansi contrast (better) because it makes their tv's look crap on paper.

all the other bits i mentioned are fact too, so why am i talking crap mr expert?

interestingly enough i make computer games. quite a few of my buddies use samsung tvs at home for playing games on. personally i use monitors and projectors but mac asked a question so was giving him my 2p.

if you dont like my 2p, feel free to argue the case instead of saying i'm talking crap - when i'm not.

not sure of the revelence of apple tv as it has no specific requirements in itself.

I would deffo consider going down the Panasonic route.. the THX Certified V10 model is stunning. If I didnt own a PH9 I would have bought one...... I have my Panasonic PH9 for about 3 years and its not let me down once, it gets some heavy use too with static images etc. No screen burn etc......

Riz +++

actually i think with this forum if anyone ever suggests a less than premium price tagged product people assume its ****. some dodgy internet egos etc?

maybe why this forums so fecking quiet.

he doesnt watch much fecking tv. he just wants a reasonable one for watching and games.

actually i think with this forum if anyone ever suggests a less than premium price tagged product people assume its ****. some dodgy internet egos etc?

he doesnt watch much fecking tv. he just wants a reasonable one for watching and games.

Very true but the Panasonic`s arent that expensive now compared to other brands..... besides premium to me is Loewe and Bang & Olufsen etc :grin:

Mac what`s your max limit you want to spend....... failing the Panasonic route the new Samsung LED TV`s are good.... BUT they are in some cases more costly than the Panasonic Plasma`s.

Riz :grin:

Like Chav says, I don't watch an awful amount of telly. To the point that I often forget to go to the HD version of anything I'm watching simply because I can't be bothered.

Something mid-range and large-ish is cool. I don't particularly care if one unit is 4% better if I'm standing on one foot and the screen is a bit darker than it should be.

Budget wise - haven't a clue. Maybe up to a grand? Less is better obviously. I spend my screen money on my lovely Apple Cinema screens - I.e. ones where I'm bothered about quality and am using them all day :grin:

I guess my question is now would 50" be too big for a 3m viewing distance? I'm thinking a 700 quid panny plasma will probably fill the role easily.

Calm down, we are all entitled to an opinion- not worth a slating for having a different opinion is it?

Just chill and go back to posting Daily Mail stories :grin:

Like Chav says, I don't watch an awful amount of telly. To the point that I often forget to go to the HD version of anything I'm watching simply because I can't be bothered.

Something mid-range and large-ish is cool. I don't particularly care if one unit is 4% better if I'm standing on one foot and the screen is a bit darker than it should be.

Budget wise - haven't a clue. Maybe up to a grand? Less is better obviously. I spend my screen money on my lovely Apple Cinema screens - I.e. ones where I'm bothered about quality and am using them all day :grin:

I guess my question is now would 50" be too big for a 3m viewing distance? I'm thinking a 700 quid panny plasma will probably fill the role easily.

If you don't watch a lot of TV I think 50" is far too big... why have something you rarely use dominate your living room?

Get something smaller and spend the savings on Apple :P:grin:

PANASONIC VIERA TXP42X10 for £499 at Richer Sounds, £550 if you want 5 years warranty. Sounds good to me + past experiences with RS says their staff generally know their stuff so if you need some advice unlike adolescent, spotty, commission-sucking, downright-fecking-annoying Dixon/Currys muppets they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

PANASONIC TXP42X10 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

I've got a 42" Panasonic Plasma, sit about 3m away. Just about right I'd say. No problems with the set either. I run Sky HD through it, mainly for football and films. I've got another Panny LCD 26" which has a nice picture. Amazing what you get used to. I'm watching the 26" now and it seems perfect, then I watch the 42" and wonder how I ever watched the smaller one!