Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mook

Just found this and realise how much I miss it...

37 posts in this topic

I wish I hadn't found it now. I spent a small fortune on it getting to go on track as quick as it did.

Bugger - why did I sell it :ffs:

mooks-r32.jpg

Shouldnt have sold it fella...... :grin: Pah what do I know.. I`m biased and am on my second.

Riz :D

You know what?

As much as I generally dislike the mk4 Golf, and I still think the front of the R32 is way to bland, I'd love one.

From the side and the rear, they look the mutts nuts.

I know they aren't the fastest car out there, and never going to set any lap records in one, but it's quite high up on my list of toys to get next year, along with things like the S2000 and Monaro.

I don't need to have the fastest car on the track, I just want to enjoy myself.

So I'm guessing shots like this don't make you feel any better then Mook?

0311h.jpg

:P

The MKIV R32 is a stunning looking car with a design that's stood it's time. Your piccie Mook, flatters it's lines no end. The only reason I didn't get one was for the dated interior. I also wanted a 5dr in the DPB and that was like rocking horse poo to find.

You b*stard Tipex ;)

Donington 2007 IIRC. Wasn't that when you were running the Mondeo round the track and Duisberg had his sh*t-his-pants spin... :grin:

So I'm guessing shots like this don't make you feel any better then Mook?

0311h.jpg

:P

Got to say that driving this on track makes me feel better than driving the R32 though - it's a speed thing +++

DSC_6675.jpg

Bugger - why did I sell it :ffs:

Perhaps something to do with going out in an S4? ;)

Perhaps something to do with going out in an S4? ;)

Yes, and now I've sold that bloody car as well :(

Well thanks a bunch Scotty, you b*stard ;)

Actually, the S4 was great as a motorway stormer and for the Nurburgring, but no good for UK tracks, except Donington. It's all about less weight and power to weight ratios for me now I'm afraid :D

It's all about less weight and power to weight ratios for me now I'm afraid :D

100% agree. That's why the last time on track for my S4 was a weekend at the 'ring and Spa back at the end of 2007.

I just wasn't getting enough out of it.

I now find that the best way of having less weight and increasing the power to weight ratio for track use it to remove two of the wheels :P

It's faster and feels even faster than it is ! :grin:

I perfect track .:R32 weapon without tuning the engine would be...

Relocate battery to boot

Replace xenon lights with standards

Strut braces and stronger mounts for engine etc

Uprated brakes + brake lines

Strut

KW V3 fully adjustable suspension

Lighter VW Cup alloys with Michelin Cups

Remove interior seats, ac unit, audio, door cards, sound proofing and windows. Replace with lighter versions incl carbon Racaro race harness seats.

Remove front bonnet, wings, boot and replace with lighter carbonfibre parts.

Reduce weight as much as possible.

If you want more power then get the HGP495 kit :grin:

That would a nice track toy which would be road legal too.

Or you could just spend the money on a Cateram

On the subject of the .:R32 not being the quickest, fastest or newest looking hatchback out there... your right...... but like somebody said, its all about those things.

Riz +++

Edited by Riz

I think it was 2006 Mook, not 100% sure though, you can see the tyre marks in the grass where Duisberg went off behind your car!

I was in the Mondeo ST, in fact, my avatar pic was taken that day in the pit lane, I think duisberg took it.

Mook, the .:R was a unique and fantastic car, especially the mk4. You may ending up getting another one who know's... I've still got the mk5 at the moment.

However, i'm totally with you on the power to weight and stripped out ethos for track use. my Mk2 Gti is way more fun on the track than the R could ever be, but I like them for different reasons. They put smiles on my face in very different ways. However... it is fun going round a track in a stripped out golf that weighs a little change over a ton and runs 280 bhp. Caterhams?? pah! why go just as fast and get cold and wet, when you can go faster and have a roof over your head? lol

Why not have the best of both, strip out an R32 for a track toy, and maybe turbo it!

no way i'd do that to my .:R, would be like butchering it. It's a great allrounder as it is

Why not have the best of both, strip out an R32 for a track toy, and maybe turbo it!

They're too heavy and understeery +++

If you think about it in terms of power to weight ratios, you'd need to run 420bhp in a turbo'd R32 just to keep up with a 280bhp turbo'd Mk2 Golf - and that's just in a straight line. The Mk2 will kick it's beeehind through the corners, because of the weight, or lack of it.

Catherhams? They're a real PITA on track.

Edited by Mook

no way i'd do that to my .:R, would be like butchering it. It's a great allrounder as it is
Yep I`m in the same frame of mind, mine`s staying standard.... shes amazing... :)

Riz +++

Yep one of my regrets in life as well Mook, i feel your pain,

This is definately a future classic in my opinion the first and last drivers R32 with loads of character and a rawness that isnt in the newer car, and with the prospect or should i say confirmation of the R20 using a 2.0L these will become more sought after, a classic Vee Dub

Apologies i cant remember how to post pics properly

My car had the following mods

18" x 8.5 BBS CHs

Smoke tint all round

Rear wiper deletion

Full manifold back heat rapped Milltek exhaust

CAI cant remember make

Superchip

Haldex upgrade

Lenny if hes still on here drove the car it was a weapon, pulled like and absolute train. Never had it on rolling road but i reckon approx 265-275BHP but the exhaust note was to die for.

post-16851-137914438744_thumb.jpg

post-16851-137914438747_thumb.jpg

post-16851-137914438749_thumb.jpg

post-16851-137914438752_thumb.jpg

Edited by RFredR32

I am at a point where I need to sell mine - as its too small to have two kids in the back. I drive with the seat right back and my youngest son has no room at all.

I know I will really regret selling it is such a great car. I've enjoyed the car evolving into what it is today. I've done pretty much the same mods as you Mook and a few more and its pretty much perfect now.

Having said that its value seems to be going up at the moment so it could be a good time to sell up. I know its something I will regret.

Yes, I have been "selling" mine for at least 3 years but it is just too good to make me try hard to get rid of it, that & its not really costing me any money at the moment. No kids but lack of space is still a problem for me when going to B&Q etc.

Um, Im at the point of getting sore ear drums ?

I never use it,

its collecting dust (alot of dust),

just think what else you could spend the money on,

Its costing you road tax ( one month left before its laid up for afew years )

Insurance thats worthless if its never driven ( going over to fire + theft soon )

Im gona need the space for my car ? ( quote from me chick )

Never ever going to sell it, in ten years time it`l turn up in a VW classic mag next to Riz`s, as the last surving R32`s undamaged in the country, Riz`s will be the clean one mine will be the Matt Grey/Beige.

Yeeehaaaa... I can just picture it..... they will be classic`s one day mark my words!

I do drive mine now and again, only when its a dry day.... so probably not over the winter season. She`s running perfect and well looked after..... I even have a special duster for her.... non-scratch one :D

Riz :grin:

Yeeehaaaa... I can just picture it..... they will be classic`s one day mark my words!

I do drive mine now and again, only when its a dry day.... so probably not over the winter season. She`s running perfect and well looked after..... I even have a special duster for her.... non-scratch one :D

Riz :grin:

Yea I have a special duster for mine aswell, problem is that just hasnt moved in the passed three years, how feckin lazy am I ! well at least the inside is still clean or at least it was last time I looked.

Maybe I should put an add on TSN for a cleaner ?

Maybe I should put an add on TSN for a cleaner ?

Plenty on here that detail for fun and some that make a living from it +++