BA Strikes...

cabby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of focus on cabin crew but the rot in BA is deeply engrained. Little wonder the company is fecked - a while ago I worked for a software house implementing supply chain management systems at BA. Most of the BA team including management on our projects had worked on the planes as cabin crew etc prior to their admin/mgmt roles. BA back then had a policy where flight staff can 'early retire from the craft' or due to illness/mobility etc can move into admin jobs in Waterside/Compass. This was rife throughout their operations. There was no substantial management experience with real best practice knowledge.

It was a nightmare getting things done. Nobody could make decisions etc, we basically had a licence to print money as frankly their staff didn't have a clue. Little wonder the company is fecked.

It was amusing working there though - the men's toilets had KY jelly dispensing machines!

So, Flyglobespan has gone bust, putting 800 people out of work, the majority of whom are aircrew, BA should step in, offer them the jobs of the strikers, and tell them to feck off!

If they can't see how difficult things are in the industry, they don't deserve the jobs, I bet all the Flyglobespan crew would love to work for BA under the new conditions the existing staff are all spitting their dummies about.

Apparently BA Gatwick staff have sent an open letter to the media on their thoughts.

They say in the letter that they have been working under the proposed rules for 3 months (I think it is) and the service to the custmer hasn't dropped or the workload radically changed.

Their average salaries at Gatwick are far lower at £14,000 and they say at the end of the letter that they think that Heathrow staff should 'Wake up and smell the coffee and stop trying to destroy the company'.

I can't find the letter itself yet but it's certainly interesting that even other people in the same company don't support the action. Fingers crossed BA win the court case today to get the strike stopped. +++

Were they the old British Caledonian set-up?

We are all prepared to take pay cuts but when it comes down to dismantling everything you've worked for the situation cannot continue. BA was once a prestigious place to work but it has been turned into a low cost model which is not what we're all about.

Years ago, you needed a nursing qualification and be fluent in a foreign language in order to work for BA. But now, customer service experience is low and staff only stay for a short period of time. So there is a high turn over of staff with limited experience. We are fighting not only for our future, but for new staff who are coming up.

The last thing we want to do is to go on strike, but if we give up now, the job will not be worth doing. We have to send a really clear message that we are not happy.

Its become lower cost to try and keep some customers, you idiot. If you strike, you wont have a job, whether its worth doing or not. :suicide:

Its become lower cost to try and keep some customers, you idiot. If you strike, you wont have a job, whether its worth doing or not. :suicide:

Or a pension given the fund has a £3.6bn deficit - BASSA really are a bunch of thick tw@ts.

On a brighter not, hopefully I now get to spend xmas in Dubai as planned for many months - hoo-f'in-ray:grin:.

This brought a smile to my face:

Additionally, the airline will not refund passengers who have cancelled non-refundable BA flights and booked an alternative with another airline.

BA were up in arms over how the strike was going to effect its oh so important customers over Christmas. Then, at the first opportunity (now the strike has been thwarted) they stick two fingers up at them.

:roflmao:

We are all prepared to take pay cuts but when it comes down to dismantling everything you've worked for the situation cannot continue. BA was once a prestigious place to work but it has been turned into a low cost model which is not what we're all about.
But that's not your decision to take - that's what willy is paid £000000's for.

Pass your thoughts on up the line, but if you are not impressed, go work for Cathay Pacific or some-one else more 'prestigious'.

It's like working for a Lexus dealership - you thought it was posh, but since then - they've tacked on a Ford dealership (to help cash flow) and asked you to man it.

The union gimp on 5Live last night refused to be drawn on the issue of making clear the length of next strike to its members during the next Ballot despite some expressing suprise at the legth. He was furiously back-peddling saying no union does this and even he was not happy with it being over Xmas and for so long etc

BA are still fecked, as who in their right mind is going to book a flight with strike action looming at an unknown date in the future!

This.

The company I work for changed corporate from BA to Virgin last summer (as in summer 2008) - saved a bucket load of cash, and people have commented how so much better the service is.

There's also been a lot more take up of the business class buy-back as well, which I think goes to show how good Virgin Premium Economy is. The buy back works in that flights over 7 hours (I think) qualify for Business Class but if you're willing to fly premium economy you get 50% of the difference in cost as a bonus. Winners on both sides, great scheme.

Of course that take up could be because people are skint!

This brought a smile to my face:

BA were up in arms over how the strike was going to effect its oh so important customers over Christmas. Then, at the first opportunity (now the strike has been thwarted) they stick two fingers up at them.

:roflmao:

Just got an email from BA saying they're giving me 10,000 miles for the anxiety caused...:P