Squeaky brakes

bodger00

Ive developed a squeaky noise....wrong....my car has developed a squaky noise when braking at very slow speed. Performance and pad levels appear fine but its beginning to annoy!

Im thinking I might just buy some EBC Red Stuff but I am concerned that they wont be as good as standard from cold and that I will have to buy EBC discs as the standard ones will wear faster with the ceramic pads.

I suppose this is good practice but are these going to last five minutes??

Edited by bodger00

Im thinking I might just buy some EBC Red Stuff but I am concerned that they wont be as good as standard from cold and that I will have to buy EBC discs as the standard ones will wear faster with the ceramic pads.

Do not use Red Stuff pads with stock disks. Also, EBC disks will wear just as quickly. Red stuff work fine on heavier cars, but I wouldn't put them on a GTI.

Your pads will have glazed. The way to fix this is to remove the wheels and use some sandpaper on the disks, then do some full on braking from 70 down to zero (in a safe place!) +++

I've had Red stuff pads disintegrate, they don't like not being used, i.e, only use the car for track days/nurburgring etc, and with long periods in between use, the pads break down.

Then when your doing 190 million miles an hour on the motorway, an inch from the bumper of a brand new Evo 10, and he touches the brakes, and your pedal hits the floor as the pad disintegrates and falls out the caliper (literaly), you tend to need to change your pants.

Red stuff not much good from cold either in normal day to day use, and like Mook says, suit heavier cars better, I'd be putting some DS2000's or whatever they call them these days on.