Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheEdge

Battery advice

15 posts in this topic

Hi all

My car battery may be on its last legs as back in January had to get RAC to start me up !! as the mechanic told me most modern batteries last 4-5 years , My R i a 2003 model with the same battery from when new so at 6 years old Its gonna need changing, I dont have any amps or SAT NAVs that need powering just wondered on cost of a new battery as well as recommended brand Bosh etc and Size as Ive heard of some R32 battery replacements not fitting ? As the winter approaches I know false starts happen and ive had a few 2nd time turns of the key and all has been ok but cant rely on that

thanks all advice appreciated

45000 miles and still counting

3 door deep blue pearlescent standard

Bosch do what they call their "Silver" 12v battery, priced at around £100 - £110. Halfords sell them IIRC +++

GSF car parts - OEM quality and guaranteed as well +++

thanks for advice folks

Didnt know that GSF did car batteries? mum works at costco will try Bosch and try halfords at weekend

thanks for advice much appreciated

I bought mine from VW - came with a 3 year guarantee & price seemed OK vs other sources so maybe don't count them out.

Just been checking batteries on the halfords site their bosch battery i think is too long length wise as its 278 mm ? the battery in the mark R32 is about 237mm in length can anyone verify this ? will be calling VW dealers tomorrow fora price and size as well as GSF !! car battery hasnt started at all tonight it has finally died after 6 years use

car battery hasnt started at all tonight it has finally died after 6 years use

TBH, I'm surprised it's lasted that long!

Just go to GSF and get one - same as VW, but cheaper +++

I had to get a new battery for the Polo the other week. Went to Halfords, an untypical helpful assistant pointed out the correct one (I double checked:grin:) and I stuck it in. I went for the Bosch super duper which has a 5 year warranty IIRC. Sorted.

Apparently you only really need the expensive one if you do mainly short journeys - correct?

Size isn't important with batteries - it's the cranking output that you care about.

Size isn't important with batteries - it's the cranking output that you care about.
Nope but a lot of VW cars including my R32 and Arosa have point where the battery fits and gets screwed down, anything smaller and it would just wobble about, anything bigger and it wouldnt fit :rolleyes:

Also the R32 has a cover which sliders over the battery too....... I too ended up buying a super-dooper Bosch one for my Arosa with 5 years warranty........ :grin: it was only £53ish.... the dealers wanted over £110+vat for the original oem one (Varta) I think.... :eek:

Not needed a battery for the R32 yet, shes currently on life support (battery charger/conditioner) :grin:

Riz +++

Be careful about ordering batteries off the web etc. I replaced mine about 18 months ago (March 03 car) and found that a lot of web sites automatically selected a battery too wide for the R32. Suggest measuring yours and checking specs of anything you find before buying.

thanks for advice all managed to get a Bosch battery from Euro car parts prompt service on phone went to pick it up with friend, correct size as well £68.86 including VAT fitted it myself didnt start on 1st turn strange ??!! but been fine since just annoying when trip milemeter gets reset !

thanks all

Good price too for a Bosch +++