ANOTHER Camera question - Canon 500d kit?

rob_himself

Alright chaps?

In a bit of Camera situation after getting my 400d + reasonably good lenses nicked.

Looking to replace it with a 500d and I'm debating if I should go for:

1) Basic Kit lens (the 400d one wasn't that great, but would get me started again)

2) Body only and the 50mm prime lens

3) A kit like the ones in Jessops with a couple of lenses (or are they usually not up to much)

4) Used 50d (from where?) with a lens or 2...

Any thoughts welcome, dont want to spend alot up front, i'd rather build a lens collection over time (eg decent 18 - 55 mm, 10 - 20mm and maybe a zoom)

I don't know Canon stuff, but I suspect similar things will apply.

I would avoid a jessops deal, probably poor spec lenses. A Decent 18-55 (do canon do a f2.8 version?) would be a good lens if you are building a selection of lenses.

50mm primes are good value for the results they produce.

To be honest I'd look at a used 40D or cheap new one if you can find one and get some more lenses but thats me. As the 50D doesn't have any video and issues with the sensor as a result of the photosites being so close its not a big enough step up.

The XXD series give you far more control as a prosumer model, they are magnesium body and feel better in my hands especially when you have bigger lenses on but they are heavier.

As for the rest then yes get a 50mm or the nifty fifty / plastic fantastic as its called as you can really learn about how to take good shots. The 17-85 is a good step up from the standard kit lens on the lower models as well. A 17-55 f2.8 for an ef-s canon camera is £730 at the moment which for me is a bit steep.