Servicing Costs - ouch!

Tarmac_Terrorist

Working a bit ahead of myself as my next service isn't due until next year. However, I was keen to see what costs I might expect as the car will be 4 years old and will apparently need the cam belt changed. This is what i've been quoted:

40k / year 4 Time & Distance Service

Brake Fluid change

Cam belt change & new water pump

Martins of Basingstoke - £765

Ridgeway Newbury - £915

VW in Winchester - £745

Anyone else got any comparisons? I want to remain within the VW franchised dealer network. Seems the cambelt change incl water pump comes in at around £570 and the rest is service / brake fluid change.

Aint cheap eh!

Edited by Tarmac_Terrorist

apparently need the cam belt changed.

I've already had my 4 year/50000 mile service done and the cam belt wasn't changed. The dealer said it didn't need changed until 120000 miles.

I thought this was a bit much but checked with the service book, it says 120000 for 147kW TFSI, and also rang customer services and they agreed.

Some dealers may be adding some extra unnecessary work as things are a bit tight at the moment..

Edited by mikemod

MikeMod, that's very good to know, 120,00 It's made my day!

<Some dealers may be adding some extra unnecessary work as things are a bit tight at the moment.. >

That's right I think. My car went in for a "free safety check" recently.

They are looking for expensive things to replace or repair, like tyres.

I'm being cynical, I know!

Anyway, I told them NOT to carry out a recall job on the fuel pressure sensor.

They ignored me, and replaced it!

They will bill VW UK for the work of course.

Ludwig

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Cam belts definitely need changing every 4 years. The handbook relates to the German market apparently and this has since been changed as far as I know even over there. All UK models are 60k miles or 4 years. Quite a bit on other forum about it.

My car is a manual and has just covered 7,000 miles since new. Almost run in I think!

The reason I prefer to keep within the franchised network is because of the exceptionally low mileage. It's quite likely that the kind on teething problems you'd expect to arise in the first 6 months of ownership may still not have appeared yet. Whilst I appreciate the car is out of warranty now, past experience tells me that if something major goes wrong, manufacturers do still often make a major contribution to repairs given the very low mileage and full VWSH.

My family had a similar experience with many years ago with a Rover 800 (:uhoh:) which snapped 2 cam belts within 6000 miles of each other and the car was 4 years old but had full Rover service history. Rover paid two thirds of the bill on the initial failure and as you might expect, 100% of the 2nd failure. Again, another similar experience with a 4 wheel drive transfer unit on a Cavalier 4x4 years back too.

I'm happy to drive up to 50 miles to find the best price so when I get nearer the time I will phone around further. I've heard that some dealers are offering cam belt changes for £299 on other forums until end of Dec. Unfortunately I understand that these dealers are up North. My service is not due until May next year but I feared a potential big bill so out of curiosity made some early enquiries. If anyone hears of any deals VW have to offer re belt replacements please shout. I'm happy to run with a change 6 months earlier if it saves me £300!

Cam belts definitely need changing every 4 years.

Have you got a link to this info, I have just checked with my mate who has an ED30 and his service book dated 2007 also says 120000 miles and no time given for the cambelt.

My car is due in the next couple of weeks for it's 60000 mile/ 5 year service and the dealer never mentioned a cambelt change, just air filter, plugs, and oil.

MikeMod, what's the position then please?

Is TT right (with all due respect, I hope not!)?

Ludwig

I have spoken to the dealer again and he showed me the printout from their computer which says 120000 miles for the TFSI, the standard FSI engines were 70000 so no cambelt for me, there seems to be a lot of talk on other forums but no one seems to have any proof.

If you ring VW customer services on 0800 711 811 they will also tell you 120000 and as they make the car I think I will trust them.

It's really up to yourself, it only costs about £250 at a dealer for the belt change, so maybe it is cheap insurance, or maybe the new belt will have a defect and go after a few thousand miles..

Edited by mikemod