Schuey linked to Merc F1 drive

Andy_Bangle

Michael Schumacher is poised for a sensational return to Formula 1 with the new Mercedes team, according to BBC Sport pundit Eddie Jordan.

Not the same Eddie Jordan who told BBC viewers that Felipe Massa had just taken a knock tot he chin, surely??

What? It is? Oh....:rolleyes:

I'm not sure what to think of this. (The Schuey link to Merc, not Eddie - I know exactly what I think of Eddie... :P )

In a way I wish Michael would stop torturing himself like this - he said himself when he was hoping to do the last few races for Ferrari that he "felt alive again in a way he hadn't since retiring". It's almost like an addiction - and the media and F1 insiders perpetuating these rumours are effectively his drug dealers. He was the best, maybe he should leave it that way.

On the other hand, to see him back in the seat - even if it isn't a Ferrari - would be very special. And it's worth remembering that Mercedes in general (and I think I'm right in saying Norbert Haug in particular) did as much to nurture and develop the young Schumacher as McLaren and Ron Dennis have done with Lewis. I suspect Michael's feeling of attachment to Mercedes is almost as strong as the one he has to Ferrari. I certainly couldn't see him consider it for anyone else.

In a way I wish Michael would stop torturing himself like this

I don't think he is - it's Jordan speculating. His entire foundation for this was "I saw Ross Brawn, Norbert Haug and Michael Schumacher in deep conversation at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix".

It's all tosh.

For all that, it'd be a great shame if we lost Eddie from the BBC team. Him talking bollocks and DC telling him he's talking bollocks is the only entertainment you get at some races.

Agreed and he does know everyone who matters and can get some good interviews. I can put up with his self promotion just for his contacts he brings.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the risk to him is too great. He left on a high as 7 times world champion and he probably wants it to stay that way, rather than be remembered for the bloke that came back in an average car and didn't do too well.

You would like to think that however, the rumours have surfaced again ...

The German media is reporting that Michael Schumacher - the most successful driver in F1 history - and Mercedes Grand Prix have agreed terms that will see the record-breaking seven-time world champion return to the grid 2010, in what is being described as 'one of the greatest comebacks in sports history'

More spin ... Schumacher and Mercedes 'agree' F1 2010 deal | Page 1 | F1 News | Dec 2009 | Crash.Net