Advice for buying my first R

gazwareing

Hi Guys

I've set my heart on getting a MkV R32 and just thought i'd ask for opinions on things i should look out for when buying one. I had spotted an 07 on autotrader near me today but by the time i'd phoned up about it a deposit had already been placed. So it seems i need to get in there fast if i spot the one i want.

So basically are there things that i should be looking for the car to be spec'd with already?

I'd also like to hear what people think are the pro's and cons of the DSG gearbox compared to the manual.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and hopefully by the end of the month i'll have some pics of a shiny new R to show you all

Cheers

Gaz

Not aware of any particular issues with the MKV R32 apart from the clips on the Leather Recaros where the leather comes away from the backing and under the front of the seat.

With regards to manual vs DSG it's been discussed many times and you either love it or hate, it's down to personal choice but you have to drive a DSG for a while to get used to it so a 5min test drive won't suffice. IMO the DSG suits the power delivery of the V6 but it does make it so smooth it feels slow.

One thing to note is the DSG box needs an oil and filter change at 40k miles and it's about £150.

Good luck in finding one as you'll love it. +++

Good luck in finding one as you'll love it. +++

I'm a manual only - DSG has never really appealed on a petrol car, lovely in a diesel though. On the buying side, personally, armrest is a must as is Highline Computer and MFSW. Great fun car and as Bob says, good luck with the search! ;)

Thanks for the replies guys, an armrest is on the list of requirements, after having one in my A4 i couldn't imagine being without it now. I am definately leaning towards the DSG but there appear to be a lot more manual's for sale so my arm may be forced.

I also want to have this all sorted before January as VAT will be going back up, so now seems like the ideal time to buy.

Can anyone recommend any other sites that i should be looking on other than AutoTrader and eBay?

Can anyone recommend any other sites that i should be looking on other than AutoTrader and eBay?

Try Pistonheads and Topmarques:

PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters and

Home

+++

DSG is sublime. I don't think I could face a manual again having had DSG GTI, but as CB says, you really should have a good go in a DSG car before committing, but be warned, you may find it very addictive +++

PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters is good - see the classified section.
Try Pistonheads and Topmarques:

PistonHeads.com :: Speed Matters and

Home

+++

DSG is sublime. I don't think I could face a manual again having had DSG GTI, but as CB says, you really should have a good go in a DSG car before committing, but be warned, you may find it very addictive +++

Thanks guys, i'll check them out. +++

I have already driven a DSG car, i had an Ausi S3 for the day, although i was pretty sceptical about driving an automatic it completely blew me away, just thought i'd ask for a few opinions on it for the .:R just in case it didn't suit the V6, but i don't think that's something i need to worry about

When I was buying my R32 I test drove a manual and DSG from the dealer and also arranged to have a manual one as a hire car in Germany for a few days.

In my eyes DSG suits the V6 brilliantly but it does seem to be a bit of a marmite thing. I didn't like the manual box in either of the ones I drove, they were both very notchy and nowhere near as smooth to use as the 6 speed box in my 95K Mk4 TDI.

I have always hated driving automatics but love the DSG box. When I decided to buy the R, I couldn't get a test drive in a DSG R so I test drove a manual R and a DSG GTI before making my mind up. During the 7 month delay from order to receipt of the car I had a few sleepless nights wondering whether I had made the right decision.

After 57k miles and 3.5 years I have never once regretted picking DSG over Manual. It's not perfect and does have it's little quirks which you quickly learn to drive around.

I honestly can't see me going back to a manual :roflmao:

Things have moved faster than i had anticipated, i've been down to look at a car over the weekend, it was exactly what i was looking for, so i've taken the plunge. I was due to collect it today but the loan hasn't gone into my Bank, i've been assured that it will be in tomorrow morning so i will hopefully be collecting the car tomorrow afternoon at some point.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice, PistonHeads proved to be an absolute gem.

Pics to follow once i've collected the car +++

Things have moved faster than i had anticipated, i've been down to look at a car over the weekend, it was exactly what i was looking for, so i've taken the plunge. I was due to collect it today but the loan hasn't gone into my Bank, i've been assured that it will be in tomorrow morning so i will hopefully be collecting the car tomorrow afternoon at some point.

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and advice, PistonHeads proved to be an absolute gem.

Pics to follow once i've collected the car +++

Oooo whats the spec fella..... dont forget to take loads of pictures too and learn to ignore that fuel needle. ;)

Riz +++

Spec is 2007, 3Dr, Phantom Black, DSG, Recaro's, Sat Nav & Sound Pack, Bluetooth, Armrest with iPod connection, Highline, MFSW, Winter Pack, Privacy Glass, Rear Parking Sensors plus it's got a tracker fitted which is good for piece of mind.

Can't wait to pick it up, i've been buzzing since i went to look at it, the journey home should be a lot of fun :devil:

I'll make sure to get some pics uploaded as soon as i can

Spec is 2007, 3Dr, Phantom Black, DSG, Recaro's, Sat Nav & Sound Pack, Bluetooth, Armrest with iPod connection, Highline, MFSW, Winter Pack, Privacy Glass, Rear Parking Sensors plus it's got a tracker fitted which is good for piece of mind

Nice spec +++ Many miles? Service history? The Sat Nav although not the best system I've encountered and used, does make the dash much more attractive. Enjoy the car; something tells me you will :grin:

Cheers lads, can't wait to get finished at work today.

Nice spec +++ Many miles? Service history? The Sat Nav although not the best system I've encountered and used, does make the dash much more attractive. Enjoy the car; something tells me you will :grin:

FSH and only just over 10,000 miles on the clock, i have read that the sat nav isn't the greatest but like you say it just sets the dash off a bit more. A mate also told me that it may be possible to flash the system so that Tom-Tom could be installed on it, might be worth looking into this.

I'm sure i will enjoy it mate, i'll be sure to keep you all informed anyway :grin:

No worries mate

I picked the car up last night and have been grinning like a cheshire cat ever since. It's the most fun i've had in a car in a long time, The Nav unit isn't that bad either but i may look at upgrading it to the RNS-510/MFD3.

As soon as the weather clears up a bit i'll get some pictures taken and uploaded

Excellent... the noise is good isnt it :) And when its nice, wind down the windows and just listen to it.... shame there is so much sound proofing in these modern german cars.... it sounds a lot nicer from the outside +++

I always smile when driving mine..... nothing better than listening to a nice cd, sunroof open cruising in and about the urban streets / city centre :D

Riz +++