Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
max_b

Who else had had Top Strut/Bearing problems on the Mk4?

10 posts in this topic

I'm getting some 'twanging' noises from the drivers side mount on low/nominal speed turning, which I have established is a fairly common problem.

Anybody know if the bearing on its own can be replaced or do you need to change the whole top mount?

Should both sides be done at the same time also?

Anybody managed to claim this from VW outside the warranty period, my car has only done 27k miles and this seems to be a fairly common recognised problem?

my car has only done 27k miles

That's a nice low-mile example +++ 3 or 5 door?

Hi max,

yes your right in thinking its a common problem, our rubbish UK roads dont make it any better thats for sure. Rear suspension springs are also very prone to snapping.... again due to the UK roads.

You could try and get some goodwill from VW but its unlikely.... they will blame the UK roads too......

27k miles :D:grin:

Riz +++

It is a common problem although mine never suffered from it in 50k + miles so probably depends on the roads I believe the mounts are cheap & an easy job so hopefully not a big problem for you.

Went through two sets of top mounts, but mine was tracked a lot. They come as one unit from VW - there's the rubber mounts and the part which actually goes, which is the needle bearings.

That's a nice low-mile example +++ 3 or 5 door?

A very clean Reflex Silver 5 Door, pretty much unmarked, seats/mats as new etc +++

Went through two sets of top mounts, but mine was tracked a lot. They come as one unit from VW - there's the rubber mounts and the part which actually goes, which is the needle bearings.

Mook, did you change the mounts in pairs, or just the side that went?and any need for re-alligning after changing?

Always in pairs and yes, always had the tracking done afterwards +++

There are several things that go wrong with the top mounts.

The bearing fails/crushed, the rubber 'donut' compresses over time and loses its shape, or the aluminum spacers under the bearing seize on the strut.

They dont last long because they are a standard part across the range from a 1.4 with lardy suspension to the R with a heavy V6 and rock hard suspension. So not really up to the job in the later case. Not that VW has got them right in the mk5 either, as mine had them replaced after 30k.

I have heard talk of a powerflex replacement mount, but cannot see them listed on their website.

cheers dogbucket

got the parts from vw, relatively cheap, £35 for both sides, just a pita to find some time for the workshop to get the work done

guess it will only be a matter of time before I need to change them again as its speed bump city around where I work and its not fun crawling over the bumps everyday at a nominal pace to try and protect the suspension :ffs: