Scare Me, What’s your 3.0TDI Tip MPG

shipy

When I see manufacturer's combined figures of 40+mpg for various 3.0 diesels like the Jag XF and latest Mercs, I must admit to wondering how realistic they are. If 40mpg mixed is accurate, I'd be expecting at least 50mpg at a 70mph cruise!

Granted the A8 is a big lump, and all quattros will sap some economy due to 4wd.

Hi there,

I have a 2005 3.0 tdi with 81000 miles on it, a recent remap, quattro and tip (with added steering wheel paddles!!) and regularly get 42mpg if driven nicely. Above 80 you should see mid 30's. Best i've had was 44mpg on a run to Cornwall from London, which was calculated, not using the DIS (which is pretty accurate with a small VAG-COM tweak).

Highly recommend the remap, like a new car! £270 from Motech performance in Northampton. Improved the fuel economy as well.

Enjoy the new motor!

quattrotdi

you'll need a gentle right foot and within 10mph of the speed limit to get a true 40mpg, the DIS on these seems to run about 1.5mpg high, possibly bit dependent on your exact wheels/tyres.

With a Tip every time you lean on the throttle it'll drop a gear and your economy will fall through the floor.

I have found the A5 3.0TDi to be appx 10% more economical than my trusty (06)B7 Avant 3.0Tdi, which itself averaged 37mpg.

So yes, it is definitely do-able :)

Dis showed 40.5 on run back from Chelmsford to Bristol average speed in 80's with a quite a few kick downs for fun.

What a car what a fantastic engine.

I'm sure once the novelty wears off mid 40's should be possible, I can see I could be looking to have a retro-fit cruise control, to avoid excess speeding its just so easy to let the speed creep up and the new speedo face takes some getting used to the numbers are all in different places.

Picture003.jpg

Dis showed 40.5 on run back from Chelmsford to Bristol average speed in 80's with a quite a few kick downs for fun.

What a car what a fantastic engine.

I'm sure once the novelty wears off mid 40's should be possible, I can see I could be looking to have a retro-fit cruise control, to avoid excess speeding its just so easy to let the speed creep up and the new speedo face takes some getting used to the numbers are all in different places.

Picture003.jpg

Looking good, you wont be disappointed!

try flicking the DIS onto digital speedo its all i use now, specially as the 'analogue' speedo is calibrated up to 180mph!

I'm only averaging 36.6 overall on my 2.0TD 140!!!, did 200 motorway miles today 80-85 averaging around 40 mpg.

Looking good, you wont be disappointed!

try flicking the DIS onto digital speedo its all i use now, specially as the 'analogue' speedo is calibrated up to 180mph!

I'm only averaging 36.6 overall on my 2.0TD 140!!!, did 200 motorway miles today 80-85 averaging around 40 mpg.

Yep using the digital speedo and set the warning, its just to easy to find your cruising at 90

With regard to Dis accuracy. I have maintained my Dis 2 - not reset - since I got the car from new and yesterday checked it against my (ok anoraky) records and

Average DIS

42 mpg

Average recorded (brimmed, mostly same pump, same station etc)

41.756 mpg

:eek:

Pretty accurate then. I think you have to look at Dis either in the long term or use the instant readout to moderate driving style.

Er, mine isn't moderated...................................:cool:

I picked up a loan 2.0tdi s-line avant today and that is showing 36.6 on the DIS, or maybe 36.2, one or the other, not sure how long that was over but the trip mileage is showing over 3000 miles so sure probably a while.

Is gearing a fair bit better on the 3.0tdi for sitting at 80mph, compared with the 2.0tdi??

This A4 I have seems to be doing 35ish sat at 80mph, at 70mph it is mid 40's, I'm sure my 3.2fsi petrol is 34mpg at 80mph, I will have to check.

I think the 3.0tdi I had was over 40mpg sat at 80mph, and that is when the diesel makes real sense.

I picked up a loan 2.0tdi s-line avant today and that is showing 36.6 on the DIS, or maybe 36.2, one or the other, not sure how long that was over but the trip mileage is showing over 3000 miles so sure probably a while.

I'd say that was pretty good for a loaner.

I've never managed to get that out of a loan vehicle ;)