St Anton January

allanon_1980

OK; the Skiing

If the weather claggs in; go to Rendle. It's usually far better viz than the rest of the Alberg region; Skiing is not hard; but there is a black run (not really black) that gets pisted now and then; warp speed can be hit carving down that!! ; other side of this is a run that the Austrian Ski team use to train on, so you might be lucky and get some gates to play with if you chance it

Also read comments here; but a lot of the OP around Rendle is now out of bounds - 500EUR fine if you are caught.......

As for food; one place not to miss is the Hozpiz alm in St Christoph (Phone and book; gets VERY BUSY in high season). There is a slide down to the loos and the food is excellent - full rack of ribs will set you up for the PM's skiing.

Another very good one is the one 3/4 the way down from Rendle. again it's worth booking. (name to follow).

Gasthof Berghaus in Stuben:

Ski past the Albona lift on you left bear right and head past the church walk around the church the berghaus is there (again, book)

For an evening meal; "The train" is very good; not TOO expensive; good Tirolean food.

Simon has it pretty well covered but just to add, the best part of Sking in St Anton is to ski the red ski routes which cover a large part of the resort, if you like to cruise blue runs all day these will not be to your liking but if you like to ski some more interesting terrain then I would highly recommend them. I haven't been for a few years so I can't comment on the nightlife but it always used to be great fun but rowdy, if you are easily offended by having beer spilt on you and people dancing on tables then your probably in the wrong place :roflmao:

Forgot about the dotted red routes....

These can range from almost motorways (some get pisted once in a while) to piles of ice cubes after freeze-thaw conditions!

For those that fancy a beer or 10 after skiing; a trip to Krazy Kangroo is a must; but be carefull coming home; a few ski into houses on the way home.....