Hi Newbie Here, Just picked up my mk5 GTI

reidtastic

Alright guys, Ive just recently sold my M3 and bought myself a Mk 5 Gti.

This will be my 3rd GTI. Ive had a Mk2 (first car) and i sold my mk4 1.8T about 5 years ago which was running 230bhp Great car !

Ive got to say the M3 was amazing but time for a hot hatch again as i want to get away more with the bike this year.

Ive tested 4 or 5 now from 54reg cars with 10k on the clock to 07 with 75k and they all felt equally as good, anyhoo i settled on a 56 plate wth 38k which i suspect has been remapped as its bloody quick !

Got to say im really impressed its a grat car to drive.

Ive have enjoyed doing a few track days recently and intend to get the gti in good track condition and set up for long term ownership.

I have a few mods planned although wouldnt mind some advice as im pretty new to the mk 5 modding game. Here are the plans

Styling

1. Keeping OEM 17" wheels as evo magazine recorder a 2sec per lap time improvement over the 18" rims (going to recon them black though

2. ED 30 rear lights

3. rabbit gti rear badge (i love rabits:roflmao:)

4.Ed 30 front vallance

Sus/brakes

1.Adjustable ARBs

2. Im going to hold out on the standard dampers at the mo as im quite impressed

3.R32 or leon cupra BBK,

4.Good pads, hoses, and fluid

5.GY eagle F1s

6.anti lift kit

Performance

1.S3 Intercooler

2.Fuelpump

3.DV

4.forge twintake

5.Miltek, SS or APR cat back

6.Not sure about the remap Giac or REVO. I dont like the get out clauses on Giacs websites though.

Not sure about the remap Giac or REVO. I dont like the get out clauses on Giacs websites though.

Welcome to TSN :beer:

Before you go and get yourself the remap, speak to a fellow TSN member called Shark90 (Ben of Shark performance). He'll set you right on the in's and out's of remaps +++

Welcome to TSN :beer:

Before you go and get yourself the remap, speak to a fellow TSN member called Shark90 (Ben of Shark performance). He'll set you right on the in's and out's of remaps +++

Cheers, looks like your in to Downhilling. What you riding ?

Also how are you transporting the stead, Via Boot or Carrier ?

Ta Bryan !

Welcome to Tyresmoke +++

Steer clear of GIAC. They're represented in the UK, but their support is dire. Revo is a good option, as is AmD or APS, but talk to Ben at Shark Performance - Volkswagen Audi Seat and Skoda Tuning +++

Cheers mate ! The only reason i was considderring Giac was the fact that star performance do the maps, and i rate them highly after tuning my MK4, but like i said im not in to their legal jargan on the US web site, its very off-putting

I think Shark performance will be a fair bit out of my way, and due to warranty restrictions i need something that i can remove for servicing eg bluefin, Giac and it must reset the flash count to, so im not sure if this means that revo will be out of the question.

Will ben be fine with me talking to him about the remaps even though my options are sort of limited to scotland ??? Cheers.

Edited by reidtastic

Just spoke to revo, Sounds all good ive made my mind up :grin:

Ill take it to star performance for a service soon and make sure it hasnt been remapped perviously, if not its off for more power !!!

I thought the maps were switchable between performance and stock, if the map is set to stock for the dealer and the flash count reset how can they tell ??

Cheers !

Edited by reidtastic

Will ben be fine with me talking to him about the remaps even though my options are sort of limited to scotland ??? Cheers.

I have no doubt Ben will be more than happy to chat/advise you, he's the most knowledgeable chap with regards to remapping I know, he'll probably be able to advise you on the benefits/drawbacks of other tuners devices, and may even try and sell you one of his SPS tuning modules that he had a group buy on recently!!

Jim at Star Performance is a GIAC dealer. I did ponder over GIAC, but opted for Revo (on my MKV GTI) in the end purely as they offered a trial. But as I said, ask Ben about the "in's and out's" of the most common remaps and it will be an eye opener. I had a conversation with him recently about it and was surprised to learn what I did +++

Ah right i see, ill look in to it further. Jon are you based in scotland, if so where did you get the revo software.

Ta for the info guys, what do you think about the other mods, are the antiroll bars worth it on the Mk5, I think you would gain in the dry and loose out in the wet, I know they were a must on my mk4, but didnt find that the M3 needed them. I may need to spend a bit more time with my car to decide if it really needs them on and off the track.

Jon are you based in scotland, if so where did you get the revo software

Edinburgh +++ Drivers in Glasgow applied the map, but I had the trial through George's brother's place in Aberdeen - forget the name of it now. Have you been to Drivers? It's just off the Charing Cross junction of the M8. Knowledgable guys there although very geared up for sales, so watch your credit card!

Did someone say Shark? :D

While I might be out of your way geographically, don't let that put you off. Our STS device allows you to apply the map yourself at home, you don't need to drive to us. It sounds scary but it's very simple, two Scottish guys on briskoda.net with 2.0T Octavias (same engine) have had STS devices from me and love them.

The STS allows you to switch back to standard and immobilise the car - beware of many of the other switchable systems as they do NOT go back to standard. The map is still there but the car runs with reduced performance to make it feel more like standard.. And don't get me started on the "trial" maps that stay on your ECU, and lock up to stop other tuners writing to the ECU without having VW or the tuner who wrote the trial put it back to actual standard first.

See here for a review of the STS device by a 2.0T vRS owner in sunny Inverness Sharkperformance STS review - BRISKODA - The Skoda Forums

Excuse the missing pictures, briskoda was hacked a little while ago and so the current forum is temporary and a lot of the links are broken.

The STS is on offer for £399 until the end of this month, no doubt cheaper than the options you've looked at, and goes back to actual standard when switched standard. Also, the STS is reusable on your next car if you put your GTi back to standard when you sell it, all you need to do is buy another map pack for the new car at a discounted rate :) This makes it obscenely good value at the £399 price. See Shark Performance - Self Tuning System for details on the STS.

Edited by shark_90

I thought the maps were switchable between performance and stock, if the map is set to stock for the dealer and the flash count reset how can they tell ??

Many of the switchable remaps do not actually go back to standard at all, the map is still there and active on your ECU and could be found if anyone wanted to look for it. Our system does go back to actual standard.

Pick up the phone for a chat if you like, I'm quite happy

to explain :)

Jim at Star Performance is a GIAC dealer. I did ponder over GIAC, but opted for Revo (on my MKV GTI) in the end purely as they offered a trial. But as I said, ask Ben about the "in's and out's" of the most common remaps and it will be an eye opener. I had a conversation with him recently about it and was surprised to learn what I did +++

Cheers jon, Ive heard of drivers before, Not been there before though.

Is that picture in your signature at Make of brake in innerleithen

Many of the switchable remaps do not actually go back to standard at all, the map is still there and active on your ECU and could be found if anyone wanted to look for it. Our system does go back to actual standard.

Pick up the phone for a chat if you like, I'm quite happy

to explain :)

Thats grate mate cheers. I suspect that it has already been mapped. I have a TWO year warranty with it :rolleyes:,

My plan is to get star P to check if it has been previously mapped when i get the cam belt changed, i want to leave it standard for the next couple of months as ive just bought it and i would like to make sure nothing is going to go wrong first.

Whats your name mate is it ben im speaking too ? The map your offering sounds good too, ill give you bell

Cheers Bryan

Cheers jon, Ive heard of drivers before, Not been there before though.

Is that picture in your signature at Make of brake in innerleithen

Ha! Do you ride DH or the XC route there? Actually it's not Make or Brake :) Although a fun run with great air opportinities - especially the lower section which is rapid - it's more like a bike park run and just that bit too pedally for my liking. Inners is my regular venue though - I'm there the majority of the weekends, especially now that the uplift is weekly +++

Yep, that's me. If you want a chat the number's on the website, Shark Performance - Volkswagen Audi Seat and Skoda Tuning (I don't like posting numbers or email addresses up directly due to spam etc) and ask for me +++

PS - please excuse the dodgy formatting on my previous post, I posted it on my phone and it easy to hit the wrong key!

Thanks ben ill give you a bell soon, it will be good having a yap with someone in the Know, and you might just get a sale too:)

Ha! Do you ride DH or the XC route there? Actually it's not Make or Brake :) Although a fun run with great air opportinities - especially the lower section which is rapid - it's more like a bike park run and just that bit too pedally for my liking. Inners is my regular venue though - I'm there the majority of the weekends, especially now that the uplift is weekly +++

Yea DH, ive not done much this year though. Mainly due to destroying my boxxers at fort Bill and deciding to build a new bike. I split my both bikes about 6-8 months ago and sold all the bits seprately, my aim was to build and own just one bike. I eventually finished it last month, but the weather has been proper sh1t, so havnt been out much.

I thought that looked like the middle section of the innerleithen freeride bit, i thought it was called make or brake, Yea too pedally for me too that bit, its not good with the 2.5 supertackys on :(

Yea DH, ive not done much this year though. Mainly due to destroying my boxxers at fort Bill and deciding to build a new bike. I split my both bikes about 6-8 months ago and sold all the bits seprately, my aim was to build and own just one bike. I eventually finished it last month, but the weather has been proper sh1t, so havnt been out much

No, you're right, there is a run called Make or Brake - what I meant that it's not the sig image +++ If any run is going to destroy a bike, it's Fort Bill! Fair weather rider, eh ;) Each of the runs are pretty mashed at present - desperately need an injection of investment, especially as Glentress is getting a load of mone thrown at all its XC routes there. Apparently Peaty was there 3-4 weekends ago. Everytime he's there, I seem to miss it. Would be a real treat to see the fastest rider on the planet smash up Cresta, Gold Run and Matador.

Sorry TSN for diverting this thread for selfish reasons +++