More noise required!

330dcoupe

hello chaps..

I'm looking for some advice about getting some better noise out of my GTI. I've done a bit of research and most people are advising Milltek - but for me, they're very expensive and ideally, I'd only like a highflow cat down pipe and some wider tailpipes. Let's leave the tailpipes to one side for a moment and concentrate on the down pipe. I've read a 3" downpipe, which can be provided by many suppliers, would need certain mapping software (stage 2 AMD) in order for the 'exhaust light to be knocked off'...is this true? Sharky?

Ideally, the cheapest (used or new..i'm not fussed) is what i'm looking for - for some better noise.

something like this (YouTube - MKV GTI 3" ATP Downpipe with 3" Autotech Cat-Back) would be ideal...but i can't work out whether or not he has a different back box too.

thank you in advance.

I've read a 3" downpipe, which can be provided by many suppliers, would need certain mapping software (stage 2 AMD) in order for the 'exhaust light to be knocked off'...is this true? Sharky?

Any decent remapper can remove the check engine light caused by removing or fitting a lower efficiency cat.

BTW, if your remapper told you that you have more power than the figures quoted by the two tuners you mentioned, I can tell you that he was definitely lying :)

Putting the noise to one side for the minute - what are you after? More torque and power, looks, sound, or the cheapest exhaust possible?

As for the remap - if it's a Mk5, with a remap, there's a cap to what you can reliably (and reliably is the key) get the standard 2.0 TFSI engine up to. Too many independent tuners just over-fuel the car, or under-fuel it, so you get a bang of torque and it feels fast, but they don't take any account of air fuel ratio or exhaust gas temps.

I'm not after anymore power...just a better rumble from the engine!

....Some advice from The Fruit 'n Fibre Man: If you are talking about more 'noise' from inside when driving as opposed to screaming at everyone on the pavement and other cars, then : -

- Remove the bonnet insulation.

- Get an aftermarket high-flow tubular air intake (EVOMS is the loudest but Forge Twintake and ITG offerings add significant neddies, but subtle sucky soundz).

- Get aftermarket engine mounts - Full set of 3 - The lower mount helps getting power down but the sides transfer a glorious Grrrrrrrrr!! in direct harmony with the exhaust.

- If interested in a Milltek you could ask them to supply you the same system as mine (but not quads) - Very shallow VWRacing style back box. Dave Marshall (Factory Manager) and Phil Millington (MD) know me well and will know what you're referring to.

BIALI_bonnet.jpg

Thanks RR :)

I tell you what made me really want some more noise - I heard some geezer pull away in a Focust ST at low speed and it made a lovely rumble (car seemed stock) and I just wish I had a little bit more of that. So something a little meatier but still very much in the 'grown up man's hot hatch' gategory - SAY NO TO CHAVINESS :D

The insulation idea is new to me...wouldn't that cause any vibrations to the bonnet?

The insulation idea is new to me...wouldn't that cause any vibrations to the bonnet?

....I only had the steel bonnet without its insulation lining for a few months and then changed to a carbonfibre bonnet (painted on the outside). Neither bonnet have any vibrations.

Aftermarket engine mounts transfer some very minor vibrations which I would describe more as a buzz vibe.

+++

But Subaru have ruined it on the latest gen Impreza - equal length manifold my arse. Bring back the burble :(

True, certainly for the Jap spec engine. There's still a decent noise to the UK spec 2.5 (especially in Prodrive tweaked 330s spec), but it's not quite the glorious offbeat bass burble of a free breathing Mk1. +++