Someone explain all the Transporter sizes and engines please

Mook

We're going to buy a T5 Transporter early next year and the VW web site is as helpful as reading a book by Delia as far as finding out what's what.

It'll be another car on the drive and for taking the bikes/dogs/kids wherever, plus lugging stuff around occassionally.

I want a SWB. Stick side windows in it, captains chairs in the front and a row of 3 seats in the back. Decent acoustic lining, decent set of OEM looking 20" alloys and dump the suspension if it's not done already, or it's not a Sportline or Raceline. Black, dark grey metallic or blue metallic.

The T28/T30/T32 thing though - that's the amount they can tow, right? So what do they change on the van to make this happen?

I want the 2.5 diesel, but what's the difference between the 130 and 174? Does the 174 run a different turbo or is it just a remap?

And is there anything they're reknowned for going wrong?

The Raceline model looks the business - very pimp. I was thinking about one of these for the MTB, but I like the separate work space to double cabin you get in a pick up. For what you want it for Mook, it sounds like a great addition to the motoring family. I'd be keen tio hear what you go for +++

Weirdly the 4Motion is quite appealing, because we spend quite a lot of time in the Lakes and getting to MTB trails around us and it's muddy as hell this time of year. I'm fine pushing either of the Passats out of the mud, but a van's a bit heavier!

I get my speed kicks from my other toy, so I'm not too worried - well maybe a little bit ;) - about getting a 200+bhp van...

Daz (dazmondo) has a sportline and it's a great van.. fast, roomy and looks the nuts too!

i took delivery of my caddy maxi yesterday and I'm chuffed to bits with it.. ordered a bike rack yesterday that fits inside!.. should make carrying the bikes a peice of cake.

attachment.php?attachmentid=37777&stc=1&d=1260450530

post-135-137914440525_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave

But they aren't what you call 'cheap' transport. Two year old 30k miles are in the region of £16k + VAT :eek:

For sure.. Daz is a carpenter by trade so it carries all his tools. But it's also fun when he loads up with surfboards at the weekend and goes on a road trip +++

Sorry for the Delay chaps,

Verdict on Trasnporter choice ? I shopped for one for about three months, my choice was based on my work, sport, and practicality.

The model I finally decided on was a LWB T32 COMBI 174, with all round factory fitted privacy glass.

LWB = carrying large + long loads inc sufboards and a big matress still with pleanty of room

T32 = weight capacity, basicly with the second row of seats still in position the van can still carry a tonne which is necessary for TAX purposes, i.e. the whole cost of the van can be written off in five years = £26k any other Combi models just wont give you the TAX write off.

COMBI = second row of seats enabling the van to carry five persons with enough room to swing an elephant.

174 = heeps of power + torques, necessary when you permantly carry round 500kg of tools bolted down in metal boxes.

Other extras I chose which I felt necessary, folding + heated mirrors, expensive but wouldnt do without them, twin sliding doors, 60-40 split rear seats, crome side rails, rear spoiler, 20" drug dealer rims, Oh and limo tinted windows beneath factory tinted privacy glass, you can still see out perfectly but no one can see in.

Other things that are usefull to know, by choosing the T32 174 puts you into a different road tax band, thus £200 cheaper than a 174 caravelle, which is nearly identical. Another thing I did was to put on sportline suspension, which I eventually changed back to the T32 origional set, had the sportline bumpers but changed them back to the factory ones because the are a nightmare to stop being scratched.

Good luck hope you get the one you want, Im gona be placing another order in March for exactly the same Model as I have now LWB T32 COMBI 180, as long as the 4 cylinder 180 test drive goes ok, then I will have two !

Edited by dazmondo

Also forgot to mention ? the VW COMBI is one of the best Vechiles for holding its value, the one I have is at the top of the tree for low depreciation, running costs are fair aswell I get 30-32 mpg thats with 500kg + permantly in the back, Insurance for me Fully comp 67% bonus = £267 per annum, just completed a whole new front end repair for £936 which for what happened was extremly good value.

Hey Mook, Hows u

Is it a new or a used Vw your looking for, I know someone one that can get hold of cars & Vans:rolleyes: at very good prices. I'll see if I can find his number.

Prices today at Leeds auction were :ffs:

I think in the first 1/4 of the year prices on cars & vans are only going to go one way, thats up!!

The VW's do fetch sttrong money, will keep an eye out.

Hope there's no Santa impersonators on here!!

Cheers for the info Daz - very useful +++

I was just wondering when the powers above are going to create the inevitable forum ? with afew of the MODS now purchasing the primary VW family toy i feel it wont be long, well I feckin hope not .............

just imagine it ? exaple of posts that may occur ......

Hey mook I got my Mine lowered another 4 inches and still managed to keep the 22"s, oh and next weeks project is a tripple turbo conversion to 450bhp ! and thats without the nitrous !!!.

I fear some tough projects could be in the pipeline.

Hey Mook, Hows u

Is it a new or a used Vw your looking for, I know someone one that can get hold of cars & Vans:rolleyes: at very good prices. I'll see if I can find his number.

Prices today at Leeds auction were :ffs:

I think in the first 1/4 of the year prices on cars & vans are only going to go one way, thats up!!

The VW's do fetch sttrong money, will keep an eye out.

Hope there's no Santa impersonators on here!!

Very well, thanks Craig. Santa's busy setting up an electric car factory in Denmark, so he won't be back for a while ;)

Looking for used and probably in Jan, before stuff takes a hike. We bought Mrs Mook's current car two weeks before xmas last year to get the best price possible.

Hey mook I got my Mine lowered another 4 inches and still managed to keep the 22"s, oh and next weeks project is a tripple turbo conversion to 450bhp ! and thats without the nitrous !!!.

I fear some tough projects could be in the pipeline.

4"? Pah. Not enough. And those 22s need to come off, because they'll be rubbish on track. I'm just dropping a turbo'd Audi V8 into mine out of a written off RS4 - should be pushing 550bhp by the time it's done ;)