Life's cruel at times

Busby

I'm not looking for a response to this but just kind of felt like writing it down.

Around six weeks ago I found out that my last living grandparent has terminal cancer. She's an elderly woman so I suppose the odds were that she would get ill at some point but she has spent huge parts of her life looking after and caring for those around her who fell ill. She had always said that her only wish was to not get cancer and I am still really struggling to come to terms with the twist that has come about.

I know life was never meant to be fair but at times it feels almost cruel. She's a really amazing woman and to have her life taken this way seems like the polar opposite of karma.

I've been lucky with my business over the last few years but stuff like this makes you realise just how insignificant things in your life are. I sat with my nan and offered to take her first class to anywhere in the world that she had always wanted to go. What she said just slayed me - "James, the only thing has ever meant anything to me is my family. The only regret that I'll have is that I don't get to spend time with you all anymore."

So, go kiss your kids/wife and visit some family in the build up to Christmas. It truly is all that really matters.

This is me and my nan in May at my wedding

attachment.php?attachmentid=37795&d=1260838197

post-2667-137914440562_thumb.jpg

Sorry to hear about your nan Busby.

I am also in the same boat as you at the moment with my Granddad. We own a hospital so have two doctors to be at his bedside 24/7 at home as it is really hard to accept he's going, but to be honest there is nothing that can be done. The one thing he wanted, like your nan was to spend time with family during this sad time. The best thing about Christmas for me is being with family, its sometimes easy to forget as Christmas has become very materialistic. I hope you get to spend lots of time with your nan these holidays. +++

I lost my Dad to cancer earlier this year, and my Mum a few years before.

Dealing with death is never easy and all I can say is that dignity should be very high on the agenda. Listen to the patient and accept their wishes regarding final days.

While they have some health make sure you love, cherish and spoil them.

Your emotions will be doing overtime, but pail into insignificance when compared to the terminal persons- even though it will be hugely difficult, try to show the brightest, most positive face. Happy for knowing the person, for the love that was given and for the support and kindred manship they have given you over your life.

Life's pleasures are often simple, favourite snacks, the company of good friends, the company of younger children- shroud the person with such and they will go with peace and a happy heart.

Take care.

Busby I know you said you were not looking for a response to this thread and as such I apologise if you feel I am encroaching.

I wish you and your family all the best at this very difficult time and that your nan has a peaceful time over the next few weeks fully able to receive the love I know will be lavished upon her.

The quote you posted from her was very moving and the picture is beautiful.

Busby I know you said you were not looking for a response to this thread and as such I apologise if you feel I am encroaching.

Well said, and a heartfelt second from me.

As said, a really touching quote from your nan. Thanks for the reminder of what's important, at a time the media is hyping presents, food and any other expenditure they can wring out.

Peace and best wishes to you and your family (same goes to you Singh) over Christmas and New Year.