Winter tyres maybe worth investing.

AZURES3

With the recent weather and what seem like wetter winters, it does make sense to look at winter tyres for use October to April. I believe this is the law in many coutries ?

Been looking at options these 2 look good.

mytyres.co.uk - Details: Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 225/40 R18 92W XL

mytyres.co.uk - Details: Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 225/40 R18 92W EL with rim protection ridge

All very good and will make hell of a difference in the wet/ice/snow..

but for the one week of the year we get conditions like this I think the expense of a spare set and the fact that you need to change them over will put most people off.

I agree about the snow for a week etc and a ball ache to keep changing but winters have been quite wet recently so you could leave them on for 3months + a year.

What about sticking them on a set of steels and keeping them in the garage? Hardly any hassle at all if we get a few weeks like this and will protect your alloys from hidden kerbs +++

Do tyres degrade much if they're kept stored?

Great idea and as you say if you do have a slip and hit a kerb you wont care. As long as they are kept inflated they last 3-5 years apparently.

I would put them in the roofspace of my garage.

Paul

What about sticking them on a set of steels and keeping them in the garage? Hardly any hassle at all if we get a few weeks like this and will protect your alloys from hidden kerbs +++

I have a mate does that, the Vredestein ones are fine in the dry and wet and superb in the ice and snow, he sticks them on about middle of December and takes them off in February.

He does live up a large hill in the country so needs them. Usually manages three years out of a set..

The Wintrac xtreme might be a bit overkill for the UK unless you're in the highlands.

I've just put some Nokian WR G2 (from mytyres.co.uk) on my quattro which is a more general purpose winter tyre - the results are outstanding. Traction and braking is vastly improved over the Pilot Sports that were on.

On my wife's Kia, I've gone for Vredestein Quatrac 3. Again, I can't believe the difference they make. Traction and stopping ability is quite superb. These were from camskill.co.uk. +++

Snow tyres are almost a must here with most people in Toronto with 2 wheel drive cars running a second set of wheels / tyres. Lots of garages offer to store tyres out of season as a service but from what I've heard / seen from this winter in the UK YOU would be fine but your not going to be able to get anywhere with all the others on normal tyres ?

I bought a set of these back in September, Snow Socks, and they are superb.

My road is pretty impassable at the moment and the Postman and Parcelforce man failed to get up my lane. Put these on today as I left the nicely salted dual carriagway and couldn't believe the grip thay give on a snow packed road.

The only issue I had was that if you hit the brakes to hard you have so much grip on the front compared to the back that the rears lock up quickly and it tries to come round to meet you.. Fine if you brake slowly..

Edited by mikemod

Got to agree engine breaking is a better idea than hitting the brakes. Sometimes I've misjudged it a little this week going down hills but then I've just "driven" down the hill so I can ease off and the engine break takes over again.

If anyone hasn't seen Ice Road Truckers on one of the Discovery / History channels I highly recommend it. Very impressive driving a huge truck and load across ice rivers / sea / road.

A few years ago I use to regularly drive down to the Alps.....and this is exactly what I did.....and when push comes to shove our shiny expensive alloys are covered is sh*t....well road grime....from Oct/Nov to March anyway.....I live on Anglesey and it hardly ever snows here...but the Mountains of Snowdonia are covered in the stuff.....On a clear night with a full or half Moon the snow covered mountains look stunning...anyway; back on topic.My experience with winter tyres has always made me believe their advantages should be actively promoted by the Government....I don`t think we have the climate to make it a legal requirement.....but the public at large should be made aware that these tyres exist and that they do make driving in adverse conditions a lot safer...their not perfect...but by God:o they offer so much more grip than standard rubber(and yes I mean grip...at least on snow)

It the law here too.

Majority of people have a set of steel wheels so they can swap themselves or get them done quickly at a garage.

The winter tyres are not normally the same size, usually the steels are 1 inch smaller, tyres have a higher profile and a lower speed rating.

I really don't mind swapping them, its amazing how long the summer tyres last when you only do 10k a year and about 60% of that time is on summer tyres.

Most new/used cars come with a set of winter wheels.

From 23/12/09:

All very good and will make hell of a difference in the wet/ice/snow..

but for the one week of the year we get conditions like this I think the expense of a spare set and the fact that you need to change them over will put most people off.

Dave for the "Michael Fish of TSN" award, 2010!

So, any recommendations for winter tyres? We drive up to and then around the Lakes fortnightly or monthly and intend to continue doing so, short of some kind of major Day After Tomorrow scenario, so I need something which is OK for pelting up the motorway for 4-5 hours on the one hand, and driving safely on slush and snow on the other. This is as much for next year as for the current, er, episode.

I gather from the local fitter that Nokian is a budget brand in general and given that it will usually take me high motorway mileage to get to the snowy parts (other than right now), I don't want something that will wear out easily.

So I was thinking of Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds or Pilot Alpin PA3s. Anyone have experience with these?

Also, after fitting, I assume the existing tyres will lob easily enough in the back seat (all 4 of them) to bring home to stick in the attic? I don't have a garage, driveway, or any form of DIY stuff for fooling about with wheels, so off to the fitter it will be, each winter and spring... any problem with this?