#1 SLiCKe

SLiCKe

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:18 AM

Hello,

I have a problem with my 2001 Vw Bora 2.0 Pertrol.
It started a few months ago when the emision warning light use to come on and a slight drop in power was noticible. Now 3 days ago the emision warning light started flashing, i had my foot to the floor but it felt like the car only had 20 hp and the rpm's jumped up and down when stoped all the way to around 500 but didnt stall the car. Went to the garage, they hook it up to the computer and error codes said something about missfire on cylinder 1 and 3. Also under my oil cap there is like a yellow butter. They erase the error codes but 25 miles later its back again. If it comes to yellow butter i've read that if you travel small distances in cold weather, water can get in to the system and couse that, or it can be a blown head gasket. After searching for answers many people got the emission light and missfirenig sorted by installing new coils. Guys from the garage want to change the head gasket as they think fluids from cooling system can get in to the engine and affect the way spark plugs work, and what comes with that couse them to missfire. I dont know much about technical stuff but new coils cost about £80, new gasket with all the other stuff - £350.

Any ideas ??

Regards,

Michael ..

#2 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

Ideas? Always try the cheaper stuff first.

So, change the plugs and coils first. That's a DIY job really.

Do you drive short distances all the time?

You are the son of a thousand fathers. Every one of them, a ******* like you!

#3 SLiCKe

SLiCKe

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Most of the times. Ive also noticed that it only happens when the engine gets to around 80-90 degrees. When its cold the CEL lights up, but the car drives, well lets just say ok. After few miles yesturday when it got to around that, ive smeled something burning, got home, opened the hood and it look like something was burning where the exust pipes go under the car to cat, but temp was only showing around 70-80 degrees. Today the car run ok again but it was for a short while. Im going to see another mechanic tomorow to see what he says.

Edited by SLiCKe, 01 January 2010 - 10:58 PM.

#4 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

Could be an oil leak dropping onto the hot exhausts for the smells under the bonnet.

Check the plugs/coils. See if any oil is under them.

#5 SLiCKe

SLiCKe

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 12:26 AM

I've got it sorted. It needed a new coil pack. It was fuel dumped back into the cat that was not burned in cylinder 2 and 3. It cost me £50 to get it sorted and not £350 for a new head gasket and other ****. It just tells you that getting secound advice is worth it ;)

Thanks cruiser !

#6 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

Good news!

Reckon you'll stick around?

#7 SLiCKe

SLiCKe

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Good news!

Reckon you'll stick around?

Yhe i think i will. Try to help others as much as i can. I was also thinking of getting some things done to bora. Like front and rear lights, badge free grill, ect... Do you know any good or worth recomending sites ??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users