AudiPartner

Find me an RS6!

82 posts in this topic

Expensive maintenance, service history, massive work required at 80k, blah, blah feckiddy blah...

JFDI  :grin: 

1 person likes this

Ah, didn't know there was massive maintenance needed at 80K.  Suppose there is feck all room under that bonnet, with the V10 and it's 2 turbos...

So, you get one after that's been done!  :grin:  +++

And there's me dismissing ones with 80k + on the clock. Guess it's either over 80 or under 50!

Blimey, they do go for little cash!  £25K for an 08 reg with 70K on the clock!  :o

That's a 7 year old car.  I wouldn't call it little money.

Plus, there is the same old thing that everyone always forgets - it might be £25k - but you'll be running a £60k+ car.  That costs a lot of money.

1 person likes this

That's a 7 year old car. I wouldn't call it little money.

Plus, there is the same old thing that everyone always forgets - it might be £25k - but you'll be running a £60k+ car. That costs a lot of money.

I wasn't going to say anything, but yes, I'd hardly call that cheap for a car that old!

7 yrs - fecking time flies!

That would probably have been £80K+ when new?

7 yrs - fecking time flies!

That would probably have been £80K+ when new?

I'm not sure, but to put it into context and why I don't think £25,000 is cheap for the car.....

...you can buy a 6-7 year old Porsche 911 Carrera S (997) for the same price.  There's plenty on AutoTrader and that kind of money gets you one with 30,000 miles on the clock.

If you want to match the 70,000 miles of the RS6 - you can get a 997 911 S for under £22,000.

I know where my money would be going, and it wouldn't be on the Audi at that price.+++

1 person likes this

Just to change your final line.

I know where my money would go and it wouldn't be an audi at any price.

They just bore me to tears.

The RS6 is a brutal beast of a machine though.

I also think Audi Partner needs to carry more than he could in a Porsche or many other vehicles for that matter.

I'd have one - only if no A8's existed

The practicality is, of course, entirely different.

Buy the Porsche and a hatch to get you round every day.  The Porsche will cost a fraction of the RS6 to maintain +++

1 person likes this

Precisely. Two car seats, a buggy and a dog. 

I can see why you'd not want 2 cars as Mook suggests, but he's probably right that it'd be cheaper.

If it is the right car for you, go for it.  I was just trying to say not to underestimate the cost of running an RS6 every day.  It will be an absolute beast of a money bucket.

There's a guy on Pistonheads who said his 2008 RS6 costs 46p per mile in fuel.  His total running costs over 2 years at 8,000 miles per year come to £1.88 per mile.

In other words, fuel, RFL, servicing, tyres and insurance cost him a total of £15,000 per annum. 

I'm just saying to go into it very informed - because £1,250 a month is a hell of a chunk of money on a £25k car (and that is doing just 8k p.a. too).

£15k per year just to run it?!?!?! That's barking mad!  :wacko:

I can see why you'd not want 2 cars as Mook suggests, but he's probably right that it'd be cheaper.

If it is the right car for you, go for it.  I was just trying to say not to underestimate the cost of running an RS6 every day.  It will be an absolute beast of a money bucket.

There's a guy on Pistonheads who said his 2008 RS6 costs 46p per mile in fuel.  His total running costs over 2 years at 8,000 miles per year come to £1.88 per mile.

In other words, fuel, RFL, servicing, tyres and insurance cost him a total of £15,000 per annum. 

I'm just saying to go into it very informed - because £1,250 a month is a hell of a chunk of money on a £25k car (and that is doing just 8k p.a. too).

If those figures are correct then that's utterly bonkers. :eek:

Yup, and it should be pointed out that the figure he based that on is 2p per mile less than Which? say it actually is. :roflmao:

So every time you do a 10 mile round trip to drop the kids at school it costs him 20 quid.... sorry I couldn't live with that. Would keep me awake at night.

So every time you do a 10 mile round trip to drop the kids at school it costs him 20 quid.... sorry I couldn't live with that. Would keep me awake at night.

I think you have to bear in mind that tyres, insurance, servicing and RFL are all in that - as well as the very high fuel costs - but yes. 

I suspect we'd all get a shock if we worked out our true car running costs, but the RS6 is up there with the most expensive of them.

What is the average mpg of the V10?  17-18 mpg if you're lucky? 

Let's say you get 18 mpg and work on £1.20 per litre (random).  That is £45 a week in fuel alone, doing just 153 miles a week.....

I do about 50 miles a week on average. And then we might have the odd trip out every other weekend. And we also have another car that returns us 50 to the gallon.

With these running costs in mind, it amazing that there are so many 80K+ mile cars around.

I do about 50 miles a week on average. And then we might have the odd trip out every other weekend. And we also have another car that returns us 50 to the gallon.

With these running costs in mind, it amazing that there are so many 80K+ mile cars around.

Ah, well 2,600-ish miles a year does make it rather different.

I think I know why you'll find so many 80,000 mile+ cars around - because the people who might be able to afford an RS6 at those prices can't necessarily afford to run one (or a lot of them anyway).

The same applies with the M5 and M6's (V10's).  Notoriously thirsty and not at all unusual to see people selling them in less than 6 months - or when something goes wrong.

It happened on a lesser scale to the E46 M3's.  As soon as they got to £15-20k, a whole mass of people who might have bought new hot hatches went out and bought them.  Within months you'd see them on forums asking about the cheapest tyres, cheapest servicing or, and this happened to more than just a few.....what to do when an engine blew up because they hadn't hit the service intervals or had them done by people who didn't know what they were dealing with. :roflmao:

I always mention the guy on the old BM3W forums who paid £18k for an E46 M3 that required a service within 3,000 miles.  He ran it for 5,000 miles.  He then had something silly like a £6,000-8,000 bill to replace the engine. :roflmao:

Edited by NewNiceMrMe

Thing is as well, is it's all well and good saying that a car costs £40 to drive to Sainsbo's, but if an alternative car cost say £25, it's the £15 difference that needs to be considered. I spend a lot of money, don't we all, but I don't really have any hobbies or habits. So the money I'm not spending on going to the football, or on crack, I can put to running my redonkulous vehicle.

For 6 months at least, then I'll sell it.

As I said though, if you really want one and know you can run one, go for it.

Life is short and if you don't scratch the itch you might regret it. 

I've had my M3's, 6 series and X5 50i etc, and I don't particularly get the urge to have similar (unless I win the lottery and have endless cash to splodge) because I tend to look at what else I can spend on nowadays (not to mention getting to a point where I have started to put greater emphasis on not wanting to work forever).  You're obviously at a different stage in life, so why not?

Just don't make life even shorter than it is by wrapping the RS around a tree. :roflmao:

The V10 RS6 is comical when it comes to fuel.  My S4 would do pretty much 300 miles to £100.  The RS6 might do half that @ 150 miles to £100.  You'd only ever see mpg starting with the digit 2 cruising @ 70 along a Motorway.

On the other hand, how many estate cars can crack 200 mph?  Last of the true leviathan-engined Audis

http://www.evo.co.uk/buying/buyingguide/288751/audi_rs6_buying_guide.html

On the other hand, how many estate cars can crack 200 mph? 

Can the RS6?  That buyers guide says the limiter being taken off gives 174 mph and the dynamic plus pack will give 189 mph.  Do they do a 200 mph variant too?

Is that not just pub figures though?  You'll never, ever do 200mph (or 180, or whatever).  OK, maybe once.

I had my modded S4 derestricted and stopped accelerating when Duisberg started screaming on the E40 in Belgium when we hit 168mph on the GPS :roflmao: