3.0 Tdi avant

Milo

I think it looks like there are less about but there are a few, its meant to be a good motor I don't think its a dud. So many go for 2.0TDI's for the fuel consumption.

I had a quick look myself last week and noticed similar, masses of 2.0TDI's but not that many 3.0 or at least very few with a high spec anyway. Are you thinking of changing?

With a purchase price just £800 less than an S4 I'm not sure how many they've sold.

Of course if could be a different market from the S4 i.e. one where people do lots of miles and need a decent mpg.

The 3.0TDI is a great lump. The torque felt like my old V8 S4!

I'm pondering my options at the moment, mainly through boredom. I thought I had convinced myself that I would be keeping the current A4 until Sept 2010....

The problem is there is nothing that really takes my fancy (or nothing I wouldn't need a mortgage for anyway). I told myself I wouldn't buy another new Audi because of their pricing but nothing else appeals much as I like quattro. Used examples of all models (up to 1 year old) via dealers are as expensive as new so seem a bit pointless hence I find myself looking at new.

I love the Q7 but the discounts have dropped significantly since I last looked putting it over budget. I love the look of the Q5 but I specced a 3.0 Tdi and even with discount it was nudging £40k, not far behind the Q7. Ouch.

The B8 A4 saloon doesn't appeal to me, it looks too bland but the avant looks top notch. Pretty much how I felt about the B7.

I've got a 220PS 2.0T now which I got after having had a 1.9 Tdi. At the time I said I wouldn't have another 4 pot diesel hence in my head I've kind of written off the idea of a 2.0 Tdi whether it was in an A4 or a Q5 hence the questions on the 3.0 Tdi.

The other option is the new 2.0T in either the A4 or the Q5.

With the Q5, I'm not sure it would be an easy car to sell further down the line as most people would want a diesel I guess.

I must admit I fancy the perfornace of the 3.0 Tdi but like Scotty says, a 3.0 Tdi special edition s-line A4 is nigh on equal to the cost of an S4!!

Hmm.

Edited by Milo

As there's not many A4 Avants with the 3.0 TDI engine in (which is a great engine, BTW), I reckon prices will be reasonably high, and I'd not be surprised if you could pick up an A6 Avant 3.0 TDI for not far off the price, probbaly with better spec - the A6 had some specials like the Le Mans ones with loads of spec upgrades.

I really liked the allroad FWIW, it as like having an A6 Avant with air suspension (I thought the Le Mans was a little harsh for my liking). Mind, mine had sports seats, velour carpet, black headlining, and all the other trimmings that made it just like any other A6 inside. I doubt I'd ever find another with that kind of spec second hand, otherwise I'd seriously consider snapping one up.

How about the 2.7 TDi

Nothing like the 3.0 TDI in character! It's smoother than the old 2.5 TDI for sure, but at least that old lump was flat until that giant industrial blower span up, then it had a little bit of oomph to it (especially in 180PS form).

The 2.7 was a bit tardy for my liking, although I did drive it on an allroad, which is a bit heavier. I think that's the only way to get quattro with that engine though, certainly on the A6.

I would definitely take out an A6 or A6 allroad and see what you think. The allroad comes with airmatic as standard and really does give you the best of both worlds.

I always chopped my A4's after 6 months, however I have had my A6 avant for a year now, have just been offered back what I paid for it, even though the mileage has gone from 31k to 55k, and I have no desire to change it.

I'm not sure if it is because it is a bigger car and I don't expect so much from it in the handling department, it is good enough and so comfy it is unreal (also only an SE which makes a hell of a difference) or because it is a nice V6 petrol and feels so damned refined after all the diesels I have owned?? Maybe it is a combo of both??

One thing I will say is the 3.0tdi isn't that frugal, I have just had one again for a week, albeit in an A5, and round town on short journeys it is actually worse than my 3.2fsi petrol, the average is around 30mpg though over the week and 700 miles, which is about 4mpg better than my petrol, and if you do lots if motorway runs at 80mph it does 36ish compared with 33 on the petrol.

If it were me and had to be an A4 I would just go for the S4, overall costs for someone doing around 15k miles a year I reckon would be cheaper than the 3.0tdi, the S4 will hold its value far better as it's an S car.

Having said that, I think I would get the 3.0T A6, there are a couple of very nice ones on the Audi used car site at the moment, with all the toys, latest MMI and under £35k. They will cheap to around 380bhp which is also nice. ;)

Hmm, not sure. I think it's been around since about 2004/2005 perhaps? I think it was first out in the D3 A8, but it's been revised a coupel of times since then - I thiknt he 233 PS was a revision up from the original engine, and the 240PS one is a recent revision (a year or less?)

It does have a diesel particulate filter, but doesn't have any kind of specific efficiency gimmick, so it might be due an overhaul sometime soon. There's a new fuel efficient A8 3.0 TDI coming late this year, so this might herald the new 3.0D?

Interesting Chris I assume it is common-rail which most have been one of the first Audi made when they moved away from PD. It does look a bit thirsty for a diesel in this day and age.

Whatever happened to the 200BHP+ 2.0TDi Audi showed as a concept a few years back

Are Audi bringing a twin turbo 4 cyl tdi out to keep up with BMW and Mercedes??

A good customer of mine has the latest alu block 330d, it is an auto and he is averaging 47mpg in it, which is pretty impressive. He had the S-Class 2.7 diesel before and couldn't average over 30mpg.

It is is really quick car as well, he planted his foot going onto the motorway and left me, in my 3.2 petrol, in the dust.

The A6 is a non-starter for me; it's too big and I'm not keen on the looks even in avant form. The A6 allroad still looks very smart but again, the size.....

In fact the A4 is bordering on too big for what I want.

It's hard to judge if the 3.0Tdi is an expensive white elephant to buy new as there are so few around to get an idea of used prices. In reality I don't need a 3.0Tdi as I'm only doing 6k-7k miles a year and most of that is around the doors. Only I don't wany a 4 cyl diesel.

As far as the cost of fuel goes it's irrelevant as it's paid for by my employer, it's purely the purchase price which would affect me.

The new 2.0T has slightly less power than the 2.0T I currently have but a bit more torque; in reality I'd imagine they'd be almost identical performance wise.

Having been in it for over 3 years now (and with the prospect of being in any new car for another 3 years) I fancy a bit more oomf for a change but then wonder when I would ever use it.

That's something I had never thought about to be honest, and an interesting choice +++

I guess they're decent for 4 up? The rear legroom can't be much worse than the A4 with the seats right back. The only fly in the ointment is I tend to have the roof bars and bike racks on the avant over the summer months, assuming I could get some to fit it may spoil the look of an S3!

Having said that, we've got a Qashqai and the roofbars/racks are a straight swap from the A4 so maybe it wouldn't be much of problem after all.

There is a sportback down the road from me and he had bars on it the other day, I will get a pic if there still on there, looked mean and purposeful!! :)

I love the S3 with their roofbars, looks like a pocket RS6.....

Audi-S3_Sportback_2009_1024x768_wallpaper_02.jpg

:eek::eek:

Looks like a Corvette to me!!!

++++++

I'm off to the Audi showroom for one of those...

Slightly off topic but how old is the 3.0TDi engine now, is it due for a significant upgrade?

It was massively overhauled (and made bout 30% more efficient) sometime around Oct 2008, so the latest varient has only bee around for about 14 months... I think they gave them the "TDV" tag... the TDIe are the super-efficient versions that definitely have the stop-start technology, but those are only around in 2.0TDI, not sure if the TDV version does the stop-start stuff.