Possible DSG problem...?

eldiablorubino

Had a good run to Torquay and back for the FA Cup yesterday but noticed a possible problem.

When the engine was under load (climbing hills or pulling away from roundabouts) with 4 people on board I noticed the engine revs dipping and surging by a couple of hundred RPM. This was mainly from 50mph up to motorway speeds and when climbing hills with a steady throttle. Pressing the throttle harder causing the gearbox to change down stopped the problem.

It felt like the clutch was engaging and disengaging slightly, hence riding the clutch slightly and causing the revs to rise. The dips and surges only lasted a second or so but were noticable to all on board and we all agreed it felt like the clutch.

It was best described as a hesitancy as if the DSG was thinking of changing down and then not.

Also when pulling away harder from slow speeds there was a slight judder or shake noticable midway through each gear.

Today when driving with just me on board I have noticed the revs are still dipping and surging slightly when climbing hills but it is much less noticable.

Any ideas?

Anyone else had a similar issue?

I have just reached 36600 miles and the car has been serviced annually (last time was september).

Edited by eldiablorubino
typo

No I haven't had/asked for/been recommended a specific DSG service.

The issue was most noticable around 3000 rpm when the engine was under steady/constant load climbing hills on the A303 and M3. So not a rev limiter issue.

As I said the closest thing I can describe it to was as if letting the clutch in to go for a gear change but then releasing it again. But not completely letting the clutch in, just enough to raise the engine revs by about 150-200 rpm.

No I haven't had/asked for/been recommended a specific DSG service.

The issue was most noticable around 3000 rpm when the engine was under steady/constant load climbing hills on the A303 and M3. So not a rev limiter issue.

As I said the closest thing I can describe it to was as if letting the clutch in to go for a gear change but then releasing it again. But not completely letting the clutch in, just enough to raise the engine revs by about 150-200 rpm.

Been a few owners with the mechatronics module problems, which i think controls the dsg box, but i dont know what symtoms you get with that ?

had a similar issue myself, around the same mileage too.

took it back to the dealer twice, they kept it over night too.

they never found a fault, even though one mechanic, could feel it.

the computer says no, so there was no problem...

it seemed to be worse when the gearbox was hot, after say 20 mins.

it felt like the clutch was juddering, like a manual dry clutch had a little oil on it.

it just went away one day, never been back. 66Kmiles now

might be no harm in changing the oil though.

• 3 weeks later...

Eldiablorubino, just making sure you've seen this sent to me and others in the last few days:

"Sent From: knobbie

Subject: dsg

I see you have some pretty strong views on the DSG problems people are experiencing and the VW/Audi UK not extending the warranty like they have in the US.

Well a group of us felt the same and have setup a website to register peoples faults, armed with this we are going to approach VAG about extending the warranty after we have a good number of people signed up.

The site is DSGwoes.co.uk - Index, any support you can offer would be greatly appreicated. We need to increase the traffic to the site and in turn get more members signed up.

Any questions give me a shout.

Cheers

Dave

[email protected] "

I've registered.

Very interesting letters (2) from VW America

Hope it helps, Ludwig

Does the DSG box work ok in the latest Mk6 Golf GTI ?

Thanks

....They all work per se, including the Mk5 DSG boxes. It's just that, like anything mechanical, faults can develop and people assume the worst about the cost of DSG repairs.

80k miles on mine and Revo2 and nothing serious so far. Mk6? - Far too soon to say methinks.

+++

• 4 weeks later...

My GTI has been in the dealers all day having the issue looked at...

Have just picked the car up and they have said it needs a complete new DSG gearbox (NOT just the mechatronics unit).

I have to wait until Monday to hear what VW UK will do as the car is 6 months out of warranty.

Asked what a ballpark figure for new DSG is, she said ROUGHLY £3500...

Matt

That's one hell of a cost! That's now a large percentage of the car's value. I suspect you could buy a new engine for some cars cheaper than that.

I'd be thinking about trading it in for that sort of a cost and getting shot of it.

Perhaps a letter to VW might help. Even if they would contribute 25% that would help. Got to be worth a try.

Ouch. That's not good at all, pretty disapointing that a major component like that would fail after 3 1/2 years, my GTI's at 60k miles and a couple of months out of warranty, really don't fancy that going or it would blow my plans out of the water to buy a new car in a year or so.

There will always be the odd one or two failures, which with a 'normal' gearbox, you can just about swallow if the worst happens, but owning a DSG equipped car outside the warranty period is a massive gamble, I fully expect the price of DSG cars to massively nosedive as they get older, and people realise the potential cost of failures.

There will always be the odd one or two failures, which with a 'normal' gearbox, you can just about swallow if the worst happens, but owning a DSG equipped car outside the warranty period is a massive gamble, I fully expect the price of DSG cars to massively nosedive as they get older, and people realise the potential cost of failures.

....Instances of DSG failures are no more than manual clutch failures.

The 'gamble' with a DSG car is no greater than with any other component on a car and it's certainly not "a massive gamble".

As always, the key to it is regular and good maintenance. Coming up to 5 years old and just over 80,000 miles.

It is a massive gamble when I could get a clutch done for a few hundred quid, or a DSG gearbox for 3.5k.

And if DSG gearbox failiures are 'as common' as manual clutch failures then I'd be hugely worried if I owned a DSG car out of warranty, as almost every manual car will require at least one clutch change in it's life.

DSG "problems" are minimal compared to that of a manual car with a clutch.

I dare say your right, I think RR inadvertently made the problems sound worse/more prevalent than he intended.

But, personally, I'd rather have the bill for a manual gearbox than a DSG, thats what I'm saying, and I do believe it'll make DSG cars unpopular on the second hand market.

Say for example, you buy a 10 year old GTi DSG, for say, £2k (looking at the average price of currently 10 year old GTi's), and the gearbox pops, the bill for a new box is going to make the car totally uneconomical to repair, there aren't that many components in the car that can ever cost that much, you could get a re-con manual for £500 fitted, even a replacement engine would only set you back a grand.

At some point, they'll become white elephants that no-one will touch.

An ABS control unit would set you back £1.5k which could equally fail on a 10yr old car.

The thing about DSG and the complexity is that very few people can repair them and as such go down the route of a full gearbox replacement vs replacing the faulty component.