Washer Fluid not working?

Waylander

On motorway and like you do presses the toggle to clear the salt off the windscreen to find no fluid coming out and so now obviously I had also smeared it all across the windshield.

Cursed myself for a fool for not checking before I set off.

Got to work and opened bonnet - the bottle is still 1/3 full. Still no fluid coming out though [admittedly I can't see the holes where it is supposed to jet onto the screen but I blasted that whole area with de-icer].

Where should I check to ensure it works again for drive home please?

Either that or its popped a pipe somewhere else in the system on account of the nozzles being frozen. On my S3 this used to happen either at a join in the boot (on account of the rear washer) or in a little junction box under the bonnet just below the left wiper.

If that's the case, run the jets for a few seconds then check for puddles to determine location of popped pipe then follow internally accordingly - not easy or comfortable in this weather I know.

If you suspect a leak, you could put some food colouring in the bottle to help you spot it :P

Alright Einstein :P

So some of us don't have heated garages for the -15 overnight temps like you posh folk ;)

I wish I had! It'd have a 911 in it if so! :P

Just a carport for me, so at least I didn't have to clear a foot of snow off the car - washers were frozen solid on Monday though! (And probably are again today...)

It was still -8 when I left so I guess that would be too cold for even the antifreeze washer fluid...

I don't think anything other than neat anti-freeze would have survived last night unfrozen!

Hopefully it is just a case of thawing out the pipes and nozzles - but I'd let them just thaw naturally in the sun, forcing it might crack either the bottle or frozen pipes!

Alright Einstein :P

So some of us don't have heated garages for the -15 overnight temps like you posh folk ;)

It was still -8 when I left so I guess that would be too cold for even the antifreeze washer fluid...

Washer fluid in the correct mix will be fine down to more (or is it less) than -30C.

Have you been using Halfords or some other cheap fluid? I ask as the possibility is that you've gunked it up. The Audi fluid is recommended for all cars with "fan type" sprays as there's no particles in it.

Have you been using Halfords or some other cheap fluid? I ask as the possibility is that you've gunked it up. The Audi fluid is recommended for all cars with "fan type" sprays as there's no particles in it.

And I suppose the Audi fluid is about 5 times dearer?

Just sounds like yet another cynical Audi ploy to screw yet more cash out of their owners to me.

My washers on the Bora freeze up, BUT the heated rear window switch sorts that out.

however, the wiper blades are then frozen in shape and so cannot wipe the spray from the windows! When I pick up my mate, I have to get out and wipe the windscreen! Occasionally, the engine heat frees them up a bit so they wipe, but as soon as I get moving again and it hits -3, then the blades freeze in shape again.

My washers on the Bora freeze up, BUT the heated rear window switch sorts that out.

however, the wiper blades are then frozen in shape and so cannot wipe the spray from the windows! When I pick up my mate, I have to get out and wipe the windscreen! Occasionally, the engine heat frees them up a bit so they wipe, but as soon as I get moving again and it hits -3, then the blades freeze in shape again.

Get the blowers to blow hot air on the screen and after a while it should defrost the wipers.

And I suppose the Audi fluid is about 5 times dearer?

Just sounds like yet another cynical Audi ploy to screw yet more cash out of their owners to me.

The same product is the same price at an Audi dealer, a VW dealer and a Skoda dealer. It's not expensive. I'm sure buying it buy the gallon from Halfords is cheaper but it's not pricey expecially considering you don't use it as fast as fuel.

I've stuck with it as I've never had a jam nor a frozen nozzle.

If you have a pin you may well find that clears the jets for you just push into them with the pin, you may find it easier if the boot is open to do this as the rear wash jet froze up the other day on my car & cleared it that way then was fine.

I have also now topped my car up with VAG washer fluid despite the car not having fan jets because as Scotty says I never had any trouble with this in the Golf for years and is not expensive.

I have been using the Halfords stuff for a couple of years with no problems.

I don't have rear washer so I guess I will try to contort myself and stick a pin into the front jets.

At work I opened the bonnet and poured hot water onto the jets, the bonnet, the washer bottle and the pipes I could see and still nada.

The jets unclip fairly easily from under the bonnet if you find that easier than contortion - you can detach the pipes & wires quite easily too (well when I tried when it wasn't so cold) & could then soak the jets in warm water to degunk them & see if any water comes out of the pipe too (blow down the pipe to check not blocked) ?

The Halfords stuff should be fine as we don't have fan jets the reason I used VAG was I had some left over from the Golf & it is good stuff too + the silver trim had a few acid marks when I bought the car so am worried if could be from washer fluid...

Tesco screenwash from the screenwash pump on the garage forecourt (by the air and water) is shite, it's blatantly so diluted it probably freezes in positive temperature figures!

I really miss the heated washer jet nozzles on my old Mondeo, Galaxy doesn't have them and despite driving round for over 10 hours solid today, they are still frozen, I guess the Galaxy must have quite good insulation under the bonnet as you'd think it would have melted!