RS4 Avant and what to look for ask?

mattburrow

Heard lots of probs with the DRC!!!.

DRC is definitely the weakest part of the RS4 - but yesterday Rob from Camberley Audi posted to say that since they've been fitting the modified parts they've not had to replace any. BTW Rob and the crew at Camberley Audi know their stuff re the RS4 - worth travelling to get servicing or warranty work done there.

Also it has most extras but no bluetooth. Is there anything that can be added as the guy said something about steering wheel and not possible

If you have the sat nav then Bluetooth can be easily retrofitted, and you don't need a multi-function steering wheel since it can be controlled from the sat nav. That's what I, and many others, have done.

The RS4 steering wheel is NOT a multi-function steering wheel (the 4 buttons are Sport and the 3 controls for the DIS), if you retrofit a multifunction steering wheel then it won't look like an RS4 wheel and you have to add a Sport button to the dash and change the wiper stalk to relocate the DIS controls. Possible, but messy.

Cheers for that.

It has the Sat Nav so I would assume that its easy enough to fit. Is Craigby still about?

I do not want to change the wheel as I prefer the look of the flat bottomed one and don't want to start changing things.

How have you found yours. Got a test drive tomorrow so will see how that goes.

How have you found tyre wear and servicing in them

How have you found yours.

Streets ahead of the 2 S4s I had beforehand - even now after nearly 3 1/2 years I still smile when I drive it. Now the snow and ice have melted it's been great to allow the engine to stretch it's legs again and feel the surge in power as you get to 5500rpm and hear a V8 doing 8000+rpm - it's an addictive sound.

How have you found tyre wear and servicing in them

Depending on the brand I get between 9,000 miles (PZero Rosso) and 14,000 miles (PS2) out of a set of tyres, which I don't think is bad for a car with this performance.

Servicing hasn't been any more expensive than the S4s were, so I'm not complaining.

So far the only failure I've had is a leaking offside auxiliary radiator which needed replacing- but that's an A4/S4/RS4 common problem.

I can only echo what Dave has said, having run an S4 before the RS seems bizarrely better on fuel, might be just me, I have had bluetooth retro fitted and works well.

I have just had front shocks changed under warranty and new front PS2's and it was a joy to get back into.

I would look out for the standard stuff really, make sure it's got the right steering wheel and seats (watch out for the rear legroom though), watch for kerbed wheels, as they are over £100 to be re-furbished properly, but in all honesty because the service intervals are so long the only real difference in service costs is the expensive oil.

As long as your budget is not too tight you have to go for it, it is a total all rounder.

I can only echo what Dave has said, having run an S4 before the RS seems bizarrely better on fuel, might be just me

Not so bizarre. Firstly if it's tuned to be more efficient i.e. generate power more effectively then it should also be better of fuel (if you drove it the same and didn't utilise the extra power of course). On top of that I believe the RS4 engine brought in FSI to the 4.2 which is definately meant to make it better on fuel.

+++

Not so bizarre. Firstly if it's tuned to be more efficient i.e. generate power more effectively then it should also be better of fuel (if you drove it the same and didn't utilise the extra power of course). On top of that I believe the RS4 engine brought in FSI to the 4.2 which is definately meant to make it better on fuel.

+++

True, I would say I have to bury my foot less to get the shove!

I believe the RS4 engine brought in FSI to the 4.2 which is definately meant to make it better on fuel.

Absolutely. The B6/B7 S4 V8 is a 5 valve per cylinder indirect injection engine, but the RS4 engine is a 4 valve per cylinder FSI engine.

On the open road I get about 2-3mpg more from the RS4 than I got from the S4, but in urban commuting I get 2-3mpg less. Glad I've just changed job to one that has a 15 mile motorway commute!

• 4 weeks later...
DRC is definitely the weakest part of the RS4 - but yesterday Rob from Camberley Audi posted to say that since they've been fitting the modified parts they've not had to replace any. BTW Rob and the crew at Camberley Audi know their stuff re the RS4 - worth travelling to get servicing or warranty work done there.

Thanks for that +++

It seems the suspension issues are sorted, so no more worries. You mentioned that was the weakest part.

What are the next 2, or 3 4 weak links? Cheers