Sell VXR8?

Busby

I'm considering selling the VXR8 at the moment but can't quite work out whether I'd miss it or not!

Only done 2700 miles since it arrived (new) at the start of August and the mrs is after a new car so might chop it in. The decision is whether to swap it for something that will still be fun but is more pratical. That way the wife can use it and I can still have a bit of a blast now and again. Maybe a new shape Scooby Sti, Evo X.

The other option is to keep the VXR8 and get a little town car like a Clio for her to bimble around in. Problem there is that we'll have three cars (Clio, VXR8 and the Focus I use as a workhorse) and the front of the house will start looking like a campsite!

Quite a tough one as I will certainly miss the V8 rumble and the sheer theatre of driving it. I'd love to keep it for a really long time but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to keep it after warranty as the parts all come from Oz and are insanely expensive - circa £800 for the bank of three temp/pressure gauges which I had replaced under warranty! Therefore, if it has to go at some point in the next two and half years anyway then I might be better to just move on now.

I really need to work the numbers and decide I can afford a C63 AMG and a Clio :D

You have to put the cost of parts into context wiht how much you would lose if you sell it now. I would guess this would be a load of ££ but keeping it another two years will only, probably, cost £4k pa in depreciation which is cheap for a car of its performance.

Stick to your guns and don't let your bastards get you down. V8 chaos will never be this 'cheap' again...

That's what is nagging me at the back of my mind. I know for sure that unless I do have a Bazza/GTR moment at the dealers and trade it in for a C63 or M3 then I'll never have a V8 again. :(

I'm being offered a trade in which is within a couple of hundred quid of what I paid for the car. Thus I wonder if it is worth chopping it in for something that will probably depreciate more quickly over the coming years. Obviously it's only my opinion that the Scooby or Evo would be worth less than the VXR8 in 2/3 years time.

I've booked a test drive in the STi later this afternoon. We'll see how that goes but unless I'm blown away I might just hold on for the nicer weather to start and re-think things then. The missus has also come up with an alarmingly sensible suggestion - keep the VXR8 for now and buy something for her that won't drop too much value in a year (e.g. £10K Cooper S) and then re-think things. My head hurts :confused:

I'm considering selling the VXR8 at the moment but can't quite work out whether I'd miss it or not!

You would. Don't do it. I still miss my V8 :(

Maybe a new shape Scooby Sti, Evo X.

If you're going to buy a Scooby, buy an RB320. The current and previous Imprezas are, well, a bit dull. The Evo X is very capable, but far too refined - you can't feel it as much as you can the Evo VIII or IX.

But keep the VXR. You know it makes sense.

How is the px so good?

Scooby dealer has a buyer that has been looking for one +++

No offence to Vauxhall owners but I would chop it in for the amazing C63 AMG any day!!!

Do it.. Do it NOW!!!

Problem with that is that I need to magic up another £25k!!!

And if you do consider the car for bimbling around in, please not a Clio....(re:the MOT post the other day) theres nothing of any value in that car

Have I missed something? The Clio would be a runaround and for the wife to use to go to work. Circa £8k for a brand new one (after discounts) seemed ok to me. Everything in that sort of range would be the same wouldn't it? i.e. Fiesta, Corsa, etc

Have I missed something? The Clio would be a runaround and for the wife to use to go to work. Circa £8k for a brand new one (after discounts) seemed ok to me. Everything in that sort of range would be the same wouldn't it? i.e. Fiesta, Corsa, etc

TDK has a real 'passion' (should be in capitals) for all French cars.

He loves them more than he loves Ulrika. He rates the engineering, the solid feel and especially the electrics! :roflmao:

How much would it cost to extend the warranty on the VXR8? On my 335 I was pleasantly surprised it was only 6/700. I can't remember the exact figure now but I thought that was worthwhile/reasonable. The VXR8 is a stunning car, I noticed you and another TSN member brought these at similair times and he's already sold his and you are considering selling yours! C63 is very appealing though...

Going back a bit, it depends what you want from the car. The RB320 is the ultimate incarnation of the 'old' Impreza. Quick, mad, rock hard, turbo nutter machine 100% of the time.

The new STI (with Prodrive Performance Pack) is quicker than the RB320 (so hardly dull) and 100% more refined and therefore a better companion for higher miles.

I know for sure that unless I do have a Bazza/GTR moment at the dealers and trade it in for a C63 or M3 then I'll never have a V8 again. :(

I kept my S4 for 5 years as I felt the same. I knew that when it went I'd probably never have one again. Nearly a year on and the V8 noise and torque is still missed.

Nooo, don't do it you crazy fool, you'll will miss the V8 like anything

Give the daily hack to the Mrs and use the VXR8 as your daily pimp ride :grin:

Just think of all the extra outlay you are going to put on another car, you may aswell channel into the VX. You'll appreciate it a lot more then and won't have the dilemma of should you or should you not sell, as you'll know when the right time to sell will be.

I can't see how much difference a 'used' version of one of these is going to be compared to a garage queen, as they are limited in supply.

Life's too short, make the most of it +++

(Alternatively give it to me and you can have me Golf!)

You're right Max but it would be too much to do 160 miles a day in it. It would stop becoming special to drive and if I were to have a nice car to run as a workhorse then I probably go for D3.

I reckon the best thing for now is to get a third car and see how I feel when the weather gets a bit better. The dilemma now is what to throw £12k at that has four/five doors and the good lady likes!