Calling all sparkies...

cabby

I like your thinking - good plan +++.

Any ideas what the minimum spec. of cable spec. is that the I should use for this? Not really up on cable types/terminology.

If you're just using the cable to see where the fault is, use some 3 core flex no less than 1.5mm csa per core. You can get this from B & Q etc.

Just remember to disconnect the steel wire armour cable each end and replace this with your length of flex.

Switch on and see what happens. The cable will be rated high enough load rating to take a fault of up to 13a so connecting onto the LOAD side of your spur will be OK +++

It sound like the original cable may have been crushed, but providing 2 out of the 3 cores are OK, all is not lost :secret:

HTH +++

• 1 month later...

I had a similarish problem about 6 months ago. The house RCD was tripping, and was difficult to reset. It was an older style voltage operated trip device, so it was swapped for a modern 30ma RCD. The second it was turned on it immediately tripped again.

Long story short, the one socket behind a bed that hadn't been changed was full of fluff and dust causing a small earth leakage. You could see the burn marks on the earth bar.

• 1 month later...
Bypass the cable temporarily with some cable laid above ground & see if have the same issue ?

Eventually managed to try bypassing and had the same problem - :confused:.

Called a sparky I know and he'll be coming over in a couple of weeks to have a look at this along with a few other jobs.

• 5 months later...

Well, after much longer than I'd planned I got a sparky over to look at this and a number of other jobs. The garage supply had been left off. The sparky turned on the garage supply and guess what - it bloody worked. Two weeks on and all was fine. He'd suggested replacing the garage CU with one that included a RCD which i'd agreed to. That's when the original source of the problem became apparent. Just below the gland where the armoured cable enters the CU at the bottom of the unit (see pic in post 21) there were signs of arching and scorching. He thought that, after my many attempts to get things working, these must have 'blown' the offending cable away from whatever it was arching with. All sorted now and any potential problem hopefully avoided !!