Can anybody recommend a good UPS?

alexc

If this is for any kind of business use I wouldn't go for anything lower down the APC range than the SmartUPS. The 3000VA version seems to be about the most popular but it depends how much equipment you need to run from it. If you look at APC's site they have various calculators that will help.

My recommendation at the moment is the SmartUPS RT series but a possible downside is that the cooling fan runs continuously on these units - the basic SmartUPS models are practically silent when running on mains.

Morning all,

I'm after a decent UPS to run our office equipment from. Nothing big, just need to run a server, a couple of PCs, couple of printers and a fax machine.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. +++

Cheers

Alex

Which ever one you chose, make sure you connect the outgoing power correctly and check those connections!

If you have a fair distance between the UPS and any of the kit, hardwire a dedicated circuit. We've seen so many problems on IT kit caused by poor connections to UPS units. Had one last week where a neutral connection failed and took out the server unit and part of the UPS, not a pretty sight! +++

UPS are pretty good but small - I'm not sure you could run a laser printer from one ! Chloride are what the big installs/hospitals use Chloride Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) online sales If you have to have printers up through power outage maybe buy an inkjet printer as use much less current - but keep some spare inks on hand as tend to dry out if not used regularly ?