Can't decide on prep

Tarmac_Terrorist

Thinking ahead for the spring when I plan to give the Golf a going over again:

The car is swirl free having been driven very little since the last detail and garaged. The wax (Dodo Supernatural) is beading superb and still looks fab.

I will need to strip the wax off and prep the finish ready for an application of Poorboys Blackhole followed by a couple of layers of Swissvax BOS.

As the car is swirl / marr free, and covered less than 1500 miles since it was last clayed / corrected, I don't want to clay again for risk of micro marring. I also don't want to use a strong detergent (like fairly liquid) as the salt will get to places I don't want it to.

Any suggestions as to what should I strip the present wax off with?

Try some APC in your shampoo; 1 oz per US gallon of water. IT should leave it lubricated but ready to clean.

You can always do an APC foam bath first as well!

Dont forget a machine application of Blackhole will clean the paintwork as well. APC wont get in to the pores of paintwork and acutally clean them allowing for good clean paintwork, it will really just remove what it comes in to contact with.

Geoff

Edited by steelwind101

Try some APC in your shampoo; 1 oz per US gallon of water. IT should leave it lubricated but ready to clean.

You can always do an APC foam bath first as well!

Dont forget a machine application of Blackhole will clean the paintwork as well. APC wont get in to the pores of paintwork and acutally clean them allowing for good clean paintwork, it will really just remove what it comes in to contact with.

Geoff

Thanks Geoff, I might run with that.

I was also considering a thorough IPA wipedown but I have lots of plastic trim around the car and I understand it can whiten these a little. +++

• 2 weeks later...

a) Hi-Temp's Prep Wash - to prepare a paint surface for polishing, compounding, wax and / or polymer sealant application (especially if changing from a wax to a polymer product) this is a water-based paint cleaner designed to remove all traces of silicone, oil, and buffing residue from any exterior paint surface

b) DuPont PrepSol II™ - http://www.xurex.com/products.html) spray onto a 100% cotton or a micro fibre towel and clean the surface