Jersey ?

theduisbergkid

any suggestions for good stuff to do?

On Jersey? :roflmao:

I went a few years ago for a week, and it wasn't bad actually. It's only a tiny island, but you'll probably want a set of wheels IMHO.

When I went they were just renovating up some of the old war fortifications and bunkers, I think on the south-west of the island, and they reckon they were going to run a little museum there. Might be worth a look?

If I remember rightly, there's also a pretty big old set of WW2 tunnels somewhere inland a bit, which is a couple of hour's tour if you don't mind being underground again.

Dinner at Nelson Eye restaurant is pretty good for seafood, and if you get a window seat at the right time, the tide will be either right in or out when you start, and the opposite the other end, so you get your own changing scenery to look at.

There's a lavendar farm, I'm pretty sure of it. Probably a vinyard too.

Oh, and there's some place where you walk down towards the coast and there's a strange pond thing with a big statue of Pan or something in it.

I guess it's one of those places where there's little pockets of odd things to do here and there, and some greenery and blue skies in the summer, but nothing that really stands out as the "must do" attraction.

A bit like the rest of France really! :roflmao:

You've already booked it! :P

It's a nice enough place actually, and the weather's often rather good. It's just one of those places where I couldn't go back until many years had passed and it had changed or (more likely) I'd forgotten it form first time round. :grin:

I'm sure you'll have a great time. +++

You might as well stay in Eastbourne, I've got a luxury beachside* cabin you can rent for very cheap, I'll put a pic of it up later!

*beachside as in a short walk** from the beach

**short walk as in walking to your car, driving 4 miles, then walking to the beach.

and by cabin you mean the falling down shed / outhouse in your garden!

Barry I'm dissapointed, has working for the family business taught you nothing all these years?

It's a bijou detached property, with original* wood panelling, Sun lounge, and convenient shelving, situated in a quiet location, close to local amenities, in need of some modernisation.

*original as in originally stolen railway property.

Barry I'm dissapointed, has working for the family business taught you nothing all these years?

It's a bijou detached property, with original* wood panelling, Sun lounge, and convenient shelving, situated in a quiet location, close to local amenities, in need of some modernisation.

*original as in originally stolen railway property.

Naaa, I would still describe it as a shed of a building in need of demolition to make way for an outstanding and unique architect designed visionary and contemporary, whilst not being over powering in its semi-rural setting with the delightful backdrop of lush forestry, two storey detached workshop / garage with first floor lounge, bar area and pool table situated in the highly sought after conservation area of Wannock*! :grin:

* Polegate! ;)

I think Jersey is a great place Duisberg.

The roads are very slow and windy and I think it a 40 mph max speed limit (not too good for the islands Ferrari owners club). So a Fiat 500 or similar will do.

St Helier is a great town and just round the bay is St Aubin.

Your best bet is to get a hire car and just go touring round. There are loads of good beaches, but I personally liked St Brelades.

The large wide open beach on the west coast is St Ouens and it picks up some good waves. There is a lighthouse just nearby that you can walk to at low tide.

I loved the place and my main memory is how clean and safe it is (no rubbish or graffiti and very little crime). They also enjoy an extremely high standard of living and intend to keep it that way.

Wherabouts are you staying?

I think Jersey is a great place Duisberg. The roads are very slow and windy and I think it a

Thanks Soulboy, we're staying in a Hotel in St Helier (nothing special, forget the name), I was going to rent a car anyway. We'll have our youngest with us but I might rent bikes for a day, I like the idea of a vineyard visit (on the bikes for that might be best), anyone got a suggestion for a really good/interesting place to eat ?

Tipex/Barry - you're a pair of Wannocks.:rolleyes:

Thanks Soulboy, we're staying in a Hotel in St Helier (nothing special, forget the name), I was going to rent a car anyway. We'll have our youngest with us but I might rent bikes for a day, I like the idea of a vineyard visit (on the bikes for that might be best), anyone got a suggestion for a really good/interesting place to eat ?

If your staying in St Helier there are lots of good restaurants.

But if its nice, I would take the bikes to the far side of St Helier bay to a little harbour/village called St Aubins. You could also hop on the bus if you want a beer. They are very clean and run often.

Photography%20by%20kind%20permission%20of%20Jersey%20Tourism%20(5).jpeg

There are a couple of good restaurants there - but I can recommend The Boat House.

There is a more expensive restaurant bit and a cheaper pub/bistro bit. Both great when I went.

But book to get a good table.

The Boat House Restaurant & Bar in St Aubin, Jersey

Also St Helier is probably the best place to stay as imo the south west coast is the best part of the island.

You can also eat at the seafront as St Brelades. Great if you get a sunny evening at high tide.

Hotelfrontsh.jpg

And this is St OUens Bay. Great surf beach with the castle and Corbiere lighthouse.

le_braye_rights.jpg

Edited by Soulboy

• 5 months later...

I have been to Jersey numerous times over the last 30+ years as my sister-in-law is married to a Jersey farmer and lives in the centre of the island. Well worth hiring a car. Very few roads (2?) have 40mph limits, most are 30 or even 20. Many lanes are very narrow. A small hire car is all you will need. All hire cars carry an H-plate (referred to by the locals as Horror cars). Most hire car companies are near the airport and many also have an office in StHelier. Jersey is only 9x5 miles.

I have taken my own car a few times but that now costs around £400 for car + 2 occupants! As we usually go for about a week, flying and hiring a car is cheaper, although we often can borrow a car from my s-in-l's family.

Plenty to do on the island - your hotel should have leaflets. Your 6-year-old should enjoy the butterfly farm and the zoo (founded by Gerald Durrell) which has a great gorilla enclosure. Keep your wife away from Jersey Pearl as it could get expensive.

Plenty of excellent beaches although some need a bit of a trek from the nearest place to park a car.

This time of year the weather isn't much different to England. I have been in Dec/Jan and it was less cold than here.