Official RS5 Pics

Phantom

There was an interesting post over on the A5OC site, they were taking a closer look at the rev counter in the photos and said that the redline was set at the same level as the V10 in the R8, ie 8.5k. The RS4 was apparently redlined at around 8k??

Someone even joked that the clue that it could be a 5.2 v10 was that the date on the dash of the RS5 was showing 5.2.2010, made me laugh ! So would the V10 fit in the A5 engine bay ?

The photos to me look like a red line at 8250 revs which would suggest a slightly higher top end to get another 20-30PS out of the 4.2. Surely the V10 would be too heavy and ruin the handling even if it fits?

The key message is that it appears not to be a turbo. The tuners will be upset.

Looks awesome from some angles, not so great from others.

The wheels are terrible. I'd take 20" RS4 wheels that they offer on S5's over any of those wheels any day.

No flared arches as expected. The B7 RS4 is still the meanest looking RS car to date.

Had my name on the list for a while but if it's gonna be £60-70k I'm gonna have to pass. 2nd hand Vantage here I come.

The photos to me look like a red line at 8250 revs which would suggest a slightly higher top end to get another 20-30PS out of the 4.2. Surely the V10 would be too heavy and ruin the handling even if it fits?

The key message is that it appears not to be a turbo. The tuners will be upset.

I think the RS 4 is officially 8250 rpm as well, so the RS 5 might well just about be the last shout for the revvy, thirsty 4.2 V8, seeing as the S4 and S5 are going away from the detuned version of the same block.

I'm fairly surprised that quattro GmbH went with a naturally-aspirated engine, after Audi AG has moved back towards blown engines. The RS 5 won't be a lightweight, and I think the flat torque plateau from a blown long-stroke V engine is better suited to a porky car with an AWD drivetrain. I suspect only the next generation S8 will retain an n/a engine (though this will be positioning, not engineering - that 8-speed Tip must be able to handle a lot of torque), and even the next-gen S6 could be blown to keep the consumption and emissions down.

I think the RS 5 looks nice, and I'm sure with quattro sport differential and drive select, it will be an improvement over the RS 4 in handling, but think how much nicer it would have been with a torque monster in there.

The photos to me look like a red line at 8250 revs which would suggest a slightly higher top end to get another 20-30PS out of the 4.2

??? The redline on the RS4 is 8250rpm, so that's no extra revs.

As I understand it the extra power comes from a much improved intake system that restricts airflow much less.

So here is the price and delivery details from Audi UK, looks like they have busted a gut to get it below £60k. So that is about £12k more than a well spec'd S5?

Recommended Basic: £47.740.43

VAT: £8,354.57

Recommended Retail Price: £56,095.00

Recommended on the road Price: £57,480.00

Launch: Geneva 2nd March 2010

Order opening: TBA

Start of production: July 2010

UK Centre launch: September 2010

Customer deliveries: from October 2010

The new Audi RS 5 full spec.pdf