Shark - new VAG ECU security?

Mollox

What's the story behind this.. VAG trying to protect their products or something more sinister?

I don't know to be honest, I just guess it's another round in the war against modifying cars.

The crazy thing is that VAG must get so much business from knowledgable enthusiasts who buy a VAG car knowing that they can cheaply and easily have it tuned. On the flip side, if they can sell you a 2.0TDi with 140bhp that'll go to 180bhp and you buy that rather than the higher specced, more expensive 170bhp car, then I guess they're losing that sale. I dunno.

I would be inclined to think that they fully expect it to be cracked in the near future, but have to be seen to be trying to do something to stop it, probably due to some sort of E/U directive or something.

If they were successful in preventing ECU's being re-mapped, that'd be a massive industry effectively shut down.

I would imagine the profit on a 140bhp poverty spec car is probably the same as on a 180bhp highly specced model, the margin can't be much different? surely any extra they make would be on options added above standard spec?

Ben

Whats the lead times on the STS?

Can you explain how it works - does it only work with one car at a time (guessing it would) but wanted to know, if you are about and your number hasnt changed I'll give you a call in the morning...

Cheers

Tone

Tone

Just seen this, sorry! My number's still the same and I sold the last STS on the shelf today, so new ones are about a week away. Drop me a line when you get chance +++

Ben

I'll call on friday - I need to get hold of matey over in malaysia to check he deffo wants it, as I am heading over on the 20th.

Thanks

Tone