MkV Gti interlagos bolster wear..Advice req!

VAGjustin

Hi Guys,

I'm a pretty fanatical VAG lover at heart although I have ventured, stumbled into old fords occasionally. I've just put a deposit on a 50K 06 plate MkV Gti.

I really just want to see if anyone has experienced premature bolster wear to the drivers seat. There isn't any thinning of the interlagos cloth but there's substantial flattening of the foam to the bottom right and hip bolsters, the car is pretty mint apart from this and from experience of earlier VAG "sports" seats it seems a little odd. Our 2003 A4 tdi sport has no wear with 135K on the clock !

It's a 2 owner car, the guy I'm purchasing from is a slim chap and very careful, guess there's no telling if the first owner was a bit of a bruiser who threw himself in the car !

I have carried out a HPI check as to verify the miles and it all comes back clear, mileage aswell. It's has full VAG history too and the rest of the car looks 30K.

Any advice/ experience you've had with this would be appreciated as it's niggling me :rolleyes:

Cheers in advance !

Hi Justin, I have around 44k on my car and my Interlagos driver's seat bolsters still look nearly new. I have no complaints about the wear on my seats. However, I am relatively slim. I did read some reports on here a few years ago about bolster wear and so I have always tried to enter and exit my car without scuffing over the side supports of the seat. I think if the bolsters are showing wear then it would probably be down to a previous owner not taking this precaution.

Hi Justin,

When I bought my car it was exactly as you describe only the material on my seat was starting to show quite bad wear as well as the foam being almost collapsed underneath, that was when the car was just over a year old with 22k on the clock.

I can only assume the previous owner was, how can i describe it - quite heavy and most likely threw himself in and out of the car.

At the time the car was under warranty and when i asked about it, there was no problem replacing the foam under warranty, however when they did the job they replaced the cloth cover as well, they were concerned the old one would rip when re-stretched over the new foam. All i can tell you is nearly 2 yrs later and about 10K there is not the slightest bit of wear on the seat, so if you’re like me and reasonably careful getting in and out chances are it wont get any worse.

I was surprised to discover that the cover is relatively easily removed and the foam is made up of replaceable inserts. In terms of price all I can tell you is I was initially quoted 150 quid for the replacement cloth which thankfully at the time I declined only to get in included free of charge, making a nice change.

All i'd say is try and forget about it and enjoy the car, at the start i was paranoid getting in and out almost to the point of not making contact with the bolsters and probably looking like something demented….. Now I don’t even think about it and as I said so far absolutely no signs of wear.

Cheers

paul

Perhaps try contacting the previous owner VAGgustin and as if he was a fat bastard :P:roflmao:

:grin: Not sure how I'd approach that one with the guy,

maybe excuse me sir could I measure your ass to seat ratio and see if the seat wear equation means accelerated wear due to your excessive rump and penchant for pies :roflmao:

He'd probably lamp me :smashfreak: