Plenum chamber - water in engine

deezal

Hello there,

I have diesel and I've recently experienced the all too common problem of water filling the plenum chamber and then leaving a swimming pool in the passenger footwells.

I don't use the car very often I only noticed the water in the footwells when I was driving down hill and all the water that must have been in the rear footwell filled up the front passenger footwell.

I went straight home parked the car up and the alarm starting going off and all the interior lights weren't working.

Decided to check the CCM under the the front passenger seat to find an ocean hiding under the carpets,completely covering the CCM box.

Removed the box to find water in the CCM so took it inside to dry out.

Meanwhile I removed all the water from the plenum chamber which was full of water by unblocking the drain under the battery.

I then removed the passenger seat to pull the carpet back and eventually got rid of what seemed to be over 15 litres of water!

Anyway,the next day I connected the CCM and to my amazement i was relieved to find all the electrics were working fine.....;)(Little did I know that my happiness would be short lived)

I then decided to leave the heaters on in the car to help dry the carpet out when I noticed clouds of what looked like blue smoke coming out of the exhaust.

I gave the engine a little rev and a load of thick dark smoke started to come out of the exhaust which really started to worry me. :mad:

Checked the temperature gauge and it looked fine. I checked the dip stick to find the oil was slightly grey in colour and when I checked the oil cap there was a thin layer of creamy sludge on it!!

I've heard that it is possible for water to be pumped into the engine via the servo if water has got into it. Is this true??

Has anyone else had this problem? Does the problem with the smoke coming out of the exhaust mean water has got into the engine?

If water has got into the engine what will need to be done to fix it?

Bearing in mind I haven't actually driven the car whilst its been smoking as the problem first occurred when it was left idling.

Could something as simple as an oil change or leaving the engine running solve the problem or am I clutching at straws.

Apologies for the big rant but I would gladly appreciate any advice on this issue as it's really worrying me.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi ive experienced the same problem as you, yes apparently water can get into the engine like my 2002 passat, sludge in engine oil sort of a coffee colour and loads of blue smoke coming out the back (usual head gasket symptoms) mechanic removed about 3 litres of water out the engine. He diagnosed head gasket which cost my warranty £800 quid so dont think of doing head gasket yet. After the mechanic said head gasket looked fine and no leaks and that he read on forum somewhere about this problem he said to me if i get this again change oil and filter run car for 500-1000 miles then keep changing oil and filter til all the water is removed. Mine was clear of water after 500 mile oil change. Best way to stop this happening again is to make sure you keep the drain plugs clear under the battery however i received a letter from VW saying they are doing a recall on this problem and to book my car in wish it was 6 months earlier.

• 3 months later...

we have water in out engine too, how did you get on we are on holiday now and car in dealers - waiting to come home - shall we just get servo replaced and brake fluids and engine oils changed and try to come home - got a 6 hour drive to ferry plus 2 small kids in tow

hi, jsut an update, vw have told me need a new engine - secondhand 4117 euros, will be collecting car changing oil and filters and get brakes checked elsewhere, just composed stinking letter to vw and emailed to any addresses i can find on internet - laura blake and chris somebody, does nayone else have any contacts for me:rolleyes:

still in sweden, got car back after insurance towed to another garage who instead of looking for problem phoned the first one for diagnosis - carry on mechanic i feel, took car off him and had it towed to house. Contacted VW UK and had customer care phone me then techie guy - who albut called me love - this cannot happen water cannot get in brakes

Got home with car and pulled pipe from servo and husband sucked out water - I am livid and have emailed VW agian attching various recall letters and P9 docs found on internedt - Canada recall for plenum and pollen filter and provide diagrams how to clean out drain, all we get is sub-paragraph in owners book in cleaning engine compartment which does not even tell you where the drains are ha ha

the VW dealer claim also that engine is seized due to sitting there for two weeks with water in engine and also when lifted engine they assume it is the coolant pump or head gasket gone and did not feel then worth checking the brakes , it appears that no lift of engine as screws etc and road film looks unmoved! I hope they have not done anyhting may be able to salvage car. They state engine will not start but it was driving when it went in, husband rocked car in gear and it did move then it tried to start - got battery on charge to see if it will tomorrow, been on phone to my UK garage he is doing his best to help me- if anyone is in the london area i urge you to use him - Highams Park Motor Co - he is a diamond-

I am expecting a call today from VW - I am not letting this one go- this water in brakes is potenitally life threatening and it appears in US etc they are having a joint lawsuit with many owners banding together