oil level rising

vwsteve

hi all i have a prob with my passat sport it is a 2002 103 tdi whats happening is believe it or not the engine oil level is rising it is not water so i am thinking that diesel is getting into the oil from somewhere

any advice is welcome the car has full dealer service history

thanks for your reply the water level is fine and there is no sign of any in the oil also the car runs ok so dont think there is a head gasket problem have been told that it could be injector seals or the tandem pump leaking any views welcome

Injector seals unlikely, as it would just leak outside the engine. What does the oil smell like? Take the dipstick out and walk away from the car - if you can smell diesel, then that's the first step.

If your piston rings are on the way out and the car is over-fuelling, then it'll be seeping past the rings and into the sump.

I really would get it checked out quickly - your oil is being diluted, whatever the problem is - diluted oil means less lubrication, means possible bearing problems etc.

Oh, and while you're there - any chance you could down-size your avatar please - it's beeldin mahoosive ;)

Ta

cheers thanks for the info i will check it out

i had some oil taken out and i have been monitoring the level for a few days now and

it seems to be ok at the moment so it may be that last time that i put some in i may have overfilled it will keep you posted