Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danksy

CCTV System for home

4 posts in this topic

I've been thinking about installing some sort of CCTV system for a while, but now I have some spare cash that I'd like to use to get a system off the ground.

I was thinking about using one camera covering the back of the house and one at the front, preferably using IP Cameras using CAT5 and POE rather than trying to find a convenient power socket close to each camera.

I have a spare PC I could use to do the recording etc. and would also like the ability to access from work/home using appropriate software.

So far the kit I'm going to have to buy is

1) 1 x Planet POE-400 4-Port IEEE 802.3af Power Over

Ethernet Injector Hub (about £60)

2) 1 x network switch (about £60)

3) 2 x ACM-7411 or 2 x ACM-3701

The 3701's are about £340 each, whereas the 7411 are about £100 more each.

So all up by the time I've bought some cable I'm looking about £800 -£1100 for a decent 2 camera dependent on which cameras I go for.

I want to be able to get enough detail to pick of vehicle reg plates that are going down our road that shouldn't be.

Can anyone suggest something else for a similar or slightly lower budget? It doesn't have to be IP based, and ideally it could be a standalone NVR or DVR as the PC I have got in mind isn't the most economical

Cheers +++

how good is the night time vision on the ACM's? I have a Y-cam solution and night vision is reasonable provided the lens cover isn't full of crap from spiders etc..

For that price, i would go for a DVR with standard Day/Night camera's. Yes it would involve more of an installation with PSU's and cabling but you can get the coax with built-in 12 volt cable (Shotgun cable), but you will get a much better system, that does not rely on a P.C. If you get a powercut your P.C will not automatically start recording where as a DVR will.

I have a Samsung DVR at home that cost £300.00 and has a 1TB HDD. Enough to store upto 60 days continuous recording on all four cameras.

One thing, would not do is get some cheap tat off ebay. if you want a few good suppliers of CCTV send me a PM.