Cleaning 'Newbie'!

A4Cab-Chris

I want to evolve from the current halfords cleaning products to something more professional as I have a new car coming this weekend.

What products would you recommend in terms of cleaning mitts\sponge, clay bar, polish and wax?

much appreciated. Im looking forward to the weekend of cleaning my car!!

Hi Chris,

What is best to buy depends really on what you want to achieve. Many of us more serious guys in to detailing have machine polishers, we look to remove defects from the paintwork such as swirls marks and scratches. After that we aim to impart some serious gloss and then wrap it up with some sort of sealant or wax.

In order to go that route you would need to purchase a machine polisher and polishers. Theres probably a spend of about £230'ish....!

On the other hand there is the option to try hide the defects which you can do at alot less cost.

Either way you need arm yourself with the same basics; a couple of buckets of around 3.5-5 Us gallons, and you want to drop a grit guard in to each bucket. Pick up some lambswool mitts and a decent shampoo.

If you want the easy route with out the polishing i would recommend the Bilt Hamber Kits from the RUbbish Boys website. You get there good clay, an all in one cleaner wax which hides defects and acutally looks pretty good! A decent shampoo but it wont last forever and a decent enough wash mitt.

Id then pick up a Gallon of car shampoo, GlossWerks or Durgaloss 90X would be my choice. A Gallon of Quick Detailer like Clearkote Quickshine a large MF drying towel and a say 5 "other" microfibre towels! Use the QD post washing on your glass and paintwork for that just washed look. Zaino or Wolfgang Tyre products will leave some good looking results!

Shinerama seems to have a huge selection, if not the hugest in the uk of products i like at very good prices. Just had a weird experince with "The Ultimate Finish" trying to buy some shampoo.

The list goes on, you need convertable top treatments? Wheel sealants? Metal Polishes?

• 2 weeks later...

Caring for your Vehicle

Finding a proper washing and drying technique will help to avoid constantly correcting those paint defects. It should go without saying that if you care about preserving your new car’s look at all, you don’t take your car to an automated car wash with huge brush rollers. And you don’t let some kids in a high school fund raiser wash your car. Just give them a contribution for their cause and they’ll be just as happy.

And you don’t let so-called professionals using a hand-car-wash technique wash it either – especially those hired by a dealership or a service centre. These people use the same soap bucket from car to car and haven’t the slightest clue about proper car washing techniques.

Long-term paint care

• Regular washing (weekly) using a correct methodology, quality car wash concentrate, wash mitt and drying towels.

• Clean paint twice a year with detailing clay.

• Polish paint surface 3-4 times a year with a pre-wax, non-abrasive polish.

• Only use an abrasive polish to remove serious scratches

• Protect paint 3-4 times a year with a quality paint sealant and / or wax.

Proper washing; pre-wash, using a foam gun followed by a two bucket wash system with a GritGuard or a Foam Cannon, use separate wash media and bucket for your wheels and the paint and when drying use water sheeting and / or air powered drying and a waffle weave micro fibre towel

Proper surface drying; this is my preferred method of drying a vehicle paint surface; On the final rinse of the washing process remove the nozzle from the hose, reduce the water pressure and hold the end of the hose parallel to the paint and reasonably close as this is will prevent splashing as you flood the surface. Follow up with a waffle weave micro fibre towel to thoroughly dry the paint surface

These techniques are the best way to avoid the need for polishing. Using a chemical paint cleanser versus polishing on a clean finish to simply remove old wax/sealant is another. And always follow the rule of using the least abrasive polish and pad combination (working smarter not harder)

An extract from one of a series of unbiased Detailing Technical Papers, a library of educational materials that has become the #1 reference for car care on the Internet

Chances are you'll learn something about detailing if you read any of these; although these articles will not improve your detailing skills, lead to a successful business or change your life. Applying what you learn from it, however, will. That's where your commitment comes in - you need to make a commitment to yourself right now that you will take action on what you learn.

© TOGWT ™ Ltd Copyright 2002-2010, all rights reserved