New A5 coupe auto dilema

Marab

Thinking about a new or nearly new A5 auto. I have an A3 s-tronic at the moment and absolutely love the s-tronic. What I really want is an A5 2.0tdi s-tronic but that doesn't exist yet. I have driven a 2.7 multitronic which was ok but not as much fun as A3 s-tronic.

I'm tempted to push the boat out and go for 3.0tdi s-tronic but this would really blow my budget so was considering a used 3.0tdi tip. Haven't managed to drive one yet, anybody here got one, what's it like? I'm just a bit worried that residuals on tips will drop now that the s-tronic is available. Maybe I should keep A3 another year and see if they make a 2.0tdi s-tronic?

Indeed I do!!

It suits the engine perfectly. I thought I would use Sport mode on the gearbox more than I do - whenever you want a bit more "go" just plant your foot and leave it there and you are off!!

It is far superior in every way the the 2.7 with multitronic - much more refined engine.

Arrange a test drive of the 2.0TDi and the 3.0Tdi back to back and you will be sold!!

Please be aware that the new 7 speed S Tronic is not IMO as good as the FWD 6 peed version.

I went from a Golf GTI DSG to a A4 2.0TFSI Q with the 7 speed S Tronic and it was a real letdown. Slow to change up, lumpy up shifts and to top it off very poor fuel economy.

After 6 months the car went back to Audi and I now have a A5 2.0TDI manual and are loving it.

Love the 3.0TDI Tip, same comments as Booster. Looking forward to trying the S-Tronic.

Used I do not think the market will differentiate between the two versions. Just the Tips will be older. 3.0TDI Tips are currently holding value well so if you can get a deal on a new one this may be a better bet. Other than spending more than you would like you will not be disappointed but note I have not driven the S-Tronic version.

Thanks for all the info guys, I'll go and drive a Tip. Am I right in thinking that Tiptronic is a conventional auto gearbox with a torque converter? Usually that's a power sapping fuel eating combination but there seems to be very little difference from the manual in mpg performance and emissions.

Thanks Martin for the info on 2.0tfsi s-tronic, I had heard that the fuel consumption on 2.0tfsi was not good. I wonder if the s-tronic box is ok on 3.0tdi, anyone have a 3.0tdi s-tronic, would probably have to be a sportback, there won't be any coupes about yet?